Store Brand Oils and your results...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Autozone, Napa, Advance and O'Reilly's continue to price name brand and store brand motor oils well above their competitors so it's hard to rationalize their deals. Does anyone here buy their store brand oils and if you do what were your results?

I picked up some STP 0W-16 made by AOC and I plan to use it for my next oil change before I switch to M1 AFE 0W-16 that I picked up on clearance at Walmart. PQIA's STP Full Synthetic 0W-20 review looked on par with name brand 0W-20 oils; for those that have used store brand oils please share your experiences.

I've used STP Syn HM 10W-30 bought on clearance and it was as good as anything else. I think Amalie blends good oil, and STP Full Syns are not terribly priced at $21.50 a jug. Yes, ST Syn and QSUD are cheaper at Walmart, but in a pinch that's not a horrible deal...

I used many different name-brand and store brand oils in my Mazda, probably majority store brand after the first 100k. In ~606k miles, it never had any engine troubles for which the oil could reasonably be blamed, aside from intermittent minor bouts of sludge. Store brands included ShopRite, Sears (made by Warren Oil), Walmart (made by WPP), Rural King, (made by Warren Oil), Advance (I suspected made by Valvoline and Texaco in different periods), probably Kmart, and others I can't recall.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CR94
I used a mixture of many different name-brand and store brand oils in my Mazda, probably majority store brand after the first 100k. In ~606k miles, it never had any engine troubles for which the oil could reasonably be blamed, aside from intermittent minor bouts of sludge. Store brands included ShopRite, Sears (made by Warren Oil), Walmart (made by WPP), Rural King, (made by Warren Oil), Advance (I suspected made by Valvoline and Texaco in different periods), probably Kmart, and others I can't recall.

Wow...606K! I picked up 0W-16 AOC on clearance at my local AZ and it looks promising. I'll run a a VOA soon.

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
I've used STP Syn HM 10W-30 bought on clearance and it was as good as anything else. I think Amalie blends good oil, and STP Full Syns are not terribly priced at $21.50 a jug. Yes, ST Syn and QSUD are cheaper at Walmart, but in a pinch that's not a horrible deal...

I agree with you on this ^^^^^

Very well stated.

Originally Posted by bbhero
What year is the Mazda ??

That is extremely impressive...

Absolutely! Those Mazda pickup Ranger clones were awesome trucks. I wish we could get smaller pickups here in the states.

True indeed man.... Those trucks could run and run and run..... Just take care of then and they'd last seemingly forever.

What year is the Mazda ?? ...
1981, as shown in my signature. The timing chain never needed to be replaced. Most of the oil was conventional 10W-40, with 10W-30 occasionally.

True indeed man.... Those trucks could run and run and run..... Just take care of then and they'd last seemingly forever.

I know of one that is used as a work truck. It's from the latter 80's and it's beat up but it still starts right up and runs. I think it has well over 400k on it.

Originally Posted by CR94
What year is the Mazda ?? ...
1981, as shown in my signature. The timing chain never needed to be replaced. Most of the oil was conventional 10W-40, with 10W-30 occasionally.

Yeah... I can't see your signature... Wonderful phone I have
lol.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac

I know of one that is used as a work truck. It's from the latter 80's and it's beat up but it still starts right up and runs. I think it has well over 400k on it.

Yeah that is right man....

Those trucks are like super tough... Lasted a long long long time...

Originally Posted by Chris142
Our shop truck usually gets Proline (warren oil). Ocasionally Napa oil. It gets changed when I think about it and my boss gives the ok.

Has 440k on it.

Holy-Moley Batman..... impressive.

I think you once wrote that it only see's Proline oil filters too.

With a good feeling about using them, I have used and currently have in queue, 1-5qt jug of SuperTech 0W20 full syn & 1-5qt jug of CarQuest 0W20 full syn. I don't have a UOA on either but, there are some floating around the board I believe.

Currently using NAPA Synthetic 0W20 in a 5w30 recommended application. Originally intended for my daughter's Altima five years ago. I found the oil last week under the basement steps and tucked in a corner.

I will stick with it, for as long as the engine stays quiet. I expect consumption to increase. But that's OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back