Question about oil change intervals 2011 Ford fusion hybrid 2.5l 4cyl

I have a 2011 Ford Fusion hybrid that has around 250k miles on it. I bought it at 120k miles. I would do oil changes at a 5k interval at home and the standard Jiffy lube/Valvoline/ oil change places until I went to a grease monkey when the car was around 160k miles. After getting the oil changed, I noticed something didn't sound right (It started making a ticking noise right after the oil change) and went to another shop to change the oil again. This time it sounded better, but I could still hear the ticking noise. Ever since then, I started doing oil changes at a 3k interval at a local mom-and-pop oil change shop. At around the 225k mile mark I started doing the oil changes myself, again, still changing the oil at around the 3k mark. This past oil change I decided to spend the extra cash and upgrade from the Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 with the XG3614/FE3614 that I was buying to the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 and the PBL10241 BOSS filter as a test. The ticking noise that has plagued my car ever since I got the oil changed at grease monkey greatly reduced and I noticed my car sounds smoother. As for the question at hand, Should I go back to changing my oil at a 5k interval? I do have an Auto-start on my car that I regularly use during the cold winter months (installed at around 180k miles) and I mostly drive the car on the highway going 70-75 mph for hours and shorter trips around 30 minutes.

Do you think I should stick with the 3k oil change interval or switch to a 5k interval?

If I go to the 5k interval, should I stick with the PBL10241 BOSS (better flow rate for the cold weather) or should I go to the FE3614 Fram filter (better micron rating)?

Something to note I live in North Dakota where it can get super cold sometimes -10 to -30 degrees Fahrenheit and I usually drive 15 – 20k miles a year. Also my car recommends that I should change the oil every 10k miles as per the owners manual (IDK if this is a joke but never would I ever go that long)

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Attached to this post is a photo of the inside of my engine at around 235k miles.

Screenshot 2024-01-08 141923.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
try using a 5w-20 high miliage oil,full synthetic,pennzoil,good flow propertys at low temps,or even vavoline EP high miliage 5w-20 use a decent oil filter as fram ultra,or wix XP

I don’t think you have any issues of concern. NYC taxis routinely put 500,000 miles on that 2.5L Mazda derived engine in the Ford Escape, in bumper to bumper driving. If you can break that engine (with regular maintenance), you are a BAD man. You need to be a Ford test track driver, because Ford has other issues with their recalls elsewhere.

I put almost 210,000 miles on a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid before trade in. I used Mobil 1 0W20EP and a Motorcraft oil filter at 5,000 mile intervals, occasionally up to 7,500 miles. My engine showed no signs of fatigue. The only ticking I heard was after a hard highway run, not with the engine running.

Perhaps, someone with a 5.0L Mustang (with its infamous Mustang “tick”) can chime in and offer a few words of advice.

I am planning to run my current OCI out to 8K (12K to 20K).
Then the same oil for 8K the next OCI, then have a UOA. If Mobil 1 Triple Action oils can't do 8K in a hybrid with good results, then I'll look at other options. Would really like a quieter oil.

I have a 2011 Ford Fusion hybrid that has around 250k miles on it. I bought it at 120k miles. I would do oil changes at a 5k interval at home and the standard Jiffy lube/Valvoline/ oil change places until I went to a grease monkey when the car was around 160k miles. After getting the oil changed, I noticed something didn't sound right (It started making a ticking noise right after the oil change) and went to another shop to change the oil again. This time it sounded better, but I could still hear the ticking noise. Ever since then, I started doing oil changes at a 3k interval at a local mom-and-pop oil change shop. At around the 225k mile mark I started doing the oil changes myself, again, still changing the oil at around the 3k mark. This past oil change I decided to spend the extra cash and upgrade from the Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 with the XG3614/FE3614 that I was buying to the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 and the PBL10241 BOSS filter as a test. The ticking noise that has plagued my car ever since I got the oil changed at grease monkey greatly reduced and I noticed my car sounds smoother. As for the question at hand, Should I go back to changing my oil at a 5k interval? I do have an Auto-start on my car that I regularly use during the cold winter months (installed at around 180k miles) and I mostly drive the car on the highway going 70-75 mph for hours and shorter trips around 30 minutes.

Do you think I should stick with the 3k oil change interval or switch to a 5k interval?

If I go to the 5k interval, should I stick with the PBL10241 BOSS (better flow rate for the cold weather) or should I go to the FE3614 Fram filter (better micron rating)?

Something to note I live in North Dakota where it can get super cold sometimes -10 to -30 degrees Fahrenheit and I usually drive 15 – 20k miles a year. Also my car recommends that I should change the oil every 10k miles as per the owners manual (IDK if this is a joke but never would I ever go that long)

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Attached to this post is a photo of the inside of my engine at around 235k miles.

View attachment 197328
I'm a big fan of the Mazda MZR derived engine that Ford uses and own two of them that are not hybrids.
Have you had to change the battery pack (not the regular battery) and if so what did it cost? The cost of hybrid battery replacement is what scares me away from buying a used Fusion hybrid.

Back