Question about engine displacement

That is why he was using plutonium before he got the Mr. Fusion. Not to pile on this fictional thing but Doc had the Plutonium reactor and then the Mr. Fusion for the time machine part but never thought to use a little bit of that power to move the car instead of using the crappy power train of the delorian? I do realize the that was a moot point at the mr fusion point as it could fly.

Yes, you can't look at those movies with any sort respect for science, it's wholly just entertainment, and entertaining it was! There wasn't even any way to derive electricity from the plutonium-based fission reactor, lol. But they piped straight lightning into it and it worked just the same :ROFLMAO:

Yes, you can't look at those movies with any sort respect for science, it's wholly just entertainment, and entertaining it was! There wasn't even any way to derive electricity from the plutonium-based fission reactor, lol. But they piped straight lightning into it and it worked just the same :ROFLMAO:
High school physics class ruined a whole lot of movies for me but it did make me able to wrap my mind around the point of this tread.

... On the other end of the spectrum, the old Windsor engines like the 302 were quite oversquare with that particular engine having a 4.0" bore, 3.0" stroke. ...
Yes, and another thing worth mentioning is that these I6 engines also have more mains/crank journals. The Ford 300 I6 had 7 whereas your typical V8 has 5.
The earlier, related Ford 289in³ had a more extreme "oversquare" B/S ratio. So did my Subaru, with its 82mm bore and 60mm stoke, and some Fiats.

The I6 designs introduced by GM, Ford, and AMC in the mid-1960s all had 7-bearing cranks. Earlier US Sixes had 4-bearing cranks. The 300 was a stroked version of the 240in³.

The earlier, related Ford 289in³ had a more extreme "oversquare" B/S ratio. So did my Subaru, with its 82mm bore and 60mm stoke, and some Fiats.

The I6 designs introduced by GM, Ford, and AMC in the mid-1960s all had 7-bearing cranks. Earlier US Sixes had 4-bearing cranks. The 300 was a stroked version of the 240in³.
Yes, the old 289 had an even shorter stroke (2.87") than the 302. The 302 however was the ubiquitous Ford smallblock and was put in basically everything, unlike the 289 that proceeded it.

I believe the Toyota I6 also had 7 mains, right back to the MS series. Not sure on when Ford transitioned to the 7 main design (I knew the 240/300 had it) but the 3rd gen I6 was the basis for all the Aussie I6's, which were quite popular and had tons of aftermarket support, so I'd assume the engines that proceeded the 240/300 were also 7 mains.

EDIT: Looked it up, apparently the upgrade from 4 to 7 happened in 1965 on the 200 (3rd gen) and the 250 (3rd gen) was introduced with 7 mains, being a late comer.

Late model Mercedes vehicles went back to inline 6 engines, all turbocharged I believe. Mazda is working on an inline 6 for their hybrid sports car application, possibly a sedan.
You have the 4 cylinder in the 2021 E350 but the 2021 E450 you have the I6. The previous year was a V6 with the same horsepower.

^^^

Awesome read, thanks for that, and for putting it in layman's terms that I can understand -- I'm now going down the bore and stroke rabbit hole. My next question would be where did the I6 go since it seemed to be ideal, but I understand there are other factors at play in engine manufacturing and design than durability (much to my dismay).
The inline 6 is still used by some manufacturers.

... Not sure on when Ford transitioned to the 7 main design (I knew the 240/300 had it) but the 3rd gen I6 was the basis for all the Aussie I6's, which were quite popular and had tons of aftermarket support, so I'd assume the engines that proceeded the 240/300 were also 7 mains.

EDIT: Looked it up, apparently the upgrade from 4 to 7 happened in 1965 on the 200 (3rd gen) and the 250 (3rd gen) was introduced with 7 mains, being a late comer.
As far as I know, all US I6 engines introduced after c. 1962 had 7-bearing cranks, and all earlier ones did not, including the Ford 223³(?) that appeared in 1954 and was predecessor of the 240. I believe the 240 & 300 generation showed up first in 1965 model year in full-size Ford cars, as well as pickups.

We had a 1966 F-100 with the 240. Thanks to its 4" bore, the 240 was apparently the longest engine in any US passenger car since the end of I8's in the early or mid-50s.

The ideal cylinder head would have an intake valve a little larger than the piston itself, and an exhaust valve about 80% as large as the piston.

Back