Question about Cartridge Bypass Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently added a bypass filter (FRAM PB50)to my '97 Camaro Z28. There isn't much real estate on that car so I ended up tucking the filter and holder in a recess near the unibody rail and running the return line across the firewall and into the oil filler cap on the passenger side. I took the tap out of the plug in the block just over that oil filter and added a valve there. That way I could adjust it for the desired flow rate. My question is, I assume that the Fram is not as efficient as a TP filter, but how good is it? Anybody ever done a particle analysis using one of these?

Johnd

If you use this mount, I believe it comes with a restrictor (maybe not). NAPA lists it for $19.95, IIRC.

UPC Number: 765809247550
Principal Application: By-Pass Filter Base to Add Spin-on By-Pass Filter on Small Gas and Diesel Engines. (51050, 51051 or 51320 May be Used)
All Applications
Style: Filter Mounting Base
Service:
Note: Lube Filter Conversion Kits By-Pass Filter For Small Gas And Diesel Engines

Large Gas and Diesel engine equipped with cartridge type by-pass filters can be converted to the convenience of a spin-on with this kit. The kit may also be used to add-on supplemental by-pass filtration to provide increased engine protection. A choice of three different sized filters are available.

-
 -

PART NUMBER: OB1305

Descriptions : By-Pass Lube Filter Base
Use_With : B50, B164, BT341
Contains : Threaded Stud 5/8-18
O.D. : 4 1/4 (108.0)
Inlet : 1/8 In. NPT
Outlet : 1/8 In. NPT
Length : 2 3/4 (69.9)

The B50 from Baldwin says that the filter contains a flow control orifice:

PART NUMBER: B50

Descriptions : Microlite By-Pass Lube Spin-on
Notes : Can be used with OB1305 base.
Contains : Flow Control Orifice
Fits : Allis Chalmers, Caterpillar Engines; Jeep Light-Duty Trucks; Massey Ferguson, Oliver Equipment
Replaces : Allis Chalmers 4512207-3; Caterpillar 666-3172; Chrysler J0936407; Massey Ferguson 1069954-M91
Thread : 5/8-18
O.D. : 3 11/16 (93.7)
Length : 5 3/8 (136.5)
I.Gskt : G381-A
Related to : B164 (Long Version)
BT341 (Short Version)

but the Wix equivalent, doesn't mention this:

UPC Number: 765809510500
Principal Application: Allis-Chalmers, Fiat, Continental, GM, Hyster, Isuzu, Iveco, Towmotor, Other
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: By-Pass
Media: Paper
Height: 5.178
Outer Diameter Top: 3.660
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 5/8-18
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

btw- just due to typical Fram quality ..I'd highly recommend visiting NAPA next time for your bypass filter needs.
grin.gif

quote:

btw- just due to typical Fram quality ..I'd highly recommend visiting NAPA next time for your bypass filter needs.

No Kidding.

Even the fram has a restrictor in the form of a hole about 1/16" in. diameter and it appears to be at the output side (center). Don't know what is all about-I'd put it at the input.
dunno.gif

Yep, tmvtaylor. I don't admire his bussiness practices ..but he does everything he says he will. You'll also get some spiritual literature in each package (nothing wrong with that) ..which, btw, can be wrapped rather intensely with tape.

He's a very shrewd ebayer and stuff like this appears to flock to him.

quote:

Don't know what is all about-I'd put it at the input.

I'm unsure why they do this, as well. Amsoil does this too ..but theirs is almost too small to see (.029). Maybe it has something to do with having the major pressure drop happening across the restrictor instead of the media (I haven't spent much time dwelling on this)
dunno.gif

I just got back from NAPA with the prices for the WIX xref's for the mount and filters.

24755 (4755) $24.84
51059 (1059/B50) 5.94
51704 (1704) 8.55 (long one)
51051 (1051) 6.16 (short one)

Yep, that's the guy. He really went the extra mile for me. The first time the shipment went to my residence via US mail and it isn't a valid mailing address so I never got it. A couple of emails and we straightened everything out. I still wonder how good those bypass cart. filters are?

So I'm wondering what the effeciency of the Fram filter is. I doubt that it's anywhere near 3 micron absolute like the other by-pass filters out there.

Does anyone know what media it uses??

If it's anything like the Baldwin Bypass filter B164 here is the info on it:

quote:

Replacement Element for the Baldwin Bypass Oil Mount. This filter is a 2 micron rated spin-on. The actual ratings are 2 micron nominal and 12 microns absolute

If it doesn't do 3 micron absolute then I don't consider this a by-pass filter.

Sorry guys

quote:

If it's anything like the Baldwin Bypass filter B164 here is the info on it:

quote:Replacement Element for the Baldwin Bypass Oil Mount. This filter is a 2 micron rated spin-on. The actual ratings are 2 micron nominal and 12 microns absolute

If it doesn't do 3 micron absolute then I don't consider this a by-pass filter.

Sorry guys

Well, it's not as good as the BE line of filters. In fact the mount from Amsoil is cheaper (the cheaper mount). I imagine that they don't last as long either.

But for those who run a conventional Permacool dual mount ..there's nothing wrong with buying a threaded adpater and putting one of those in parallel with a ff filter. The replacement costs are comparable with other quality spin-on filters and are redily available.

Not the greatest, by any means ..but an option for some that does offer some benefit.

These filters are used on old flathead and industrial engines .These are the type of filters that were used on engines before full flow filters. Also some filters were packed with a cotton type fiber.

I guess you will be the first ..where did you get it? I have never heard of a Fram bypass...though I do have 2 bypass unit on my car
smile.gif
( motorguard and a Frantz )

Just a regular parts store. I found a link from this board to a guy on ebay that sold remote filter mounts. He gave me the numbers of bypass filters made by Fram, Baldwin and Wix(I think). Turns out that the bypass filters all have a different thread so you can't use them in a full flow application, he gives you both thread inserts so that you can use the mount for either. What bothered me was that it seemed to be a really good flow rate for a bypass. I slowed it down a lot with the valve so that the oil would pass through slowly.

quote:

These filters are used on old flathead and industrial engines .These are the type of filters that were used on engines before full flow filters. Also some filters were packed with a cotton type fiber.

You mean one of these??

-

Nope. The filters that are being discussed here are spin-on filters just like normal full flows. The have either paper or glass impregnated paper elements inside.

-

PART NUMBER: B164

Descriptions : Microlite By-Pass Lube Spin-on
Notes : Can be used with OB1305 base.
Contains : Flow Control Orifice
Fits : Carrier Refrigeration Units
Replaces : Carrier-Transicold 30-00304-00
Thread : 5/8-18
O.D. : 3 11/16 (93.7)
Length : 7 1/8 (181.0)
I.Gskt : G381-A
Related to : B50, BT341 (Short Versions)

-

UPC Number: 765809517042
Principal Application: Transicold Refrigeration Units w/Perkins Engines
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: By-Pass
Media: Paper
Height: 6.952
Outer Diameter Top: 3.663
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 5/8-18
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
15614 2.834 2.462 0.255

If you want to defeat the purpose of the Amsoil by-pass filter you can fit any filter from a Dodge Cummins Diesel on there.

I really don't understand this. Why does someone want to use a filter that is only effecient down to 12 microns? Might as well stick with a full flow filter?

The replacement filters will have no where near the construction of the Amsoil filter.
 -

If you are looking for filters with cheap elements go with a TP filter or an oilguard. At least those are true by-pass filters

[ May 04, 2005, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: msparks ]

quote:

Do you know if these bypass filters fit the Amsoil bypass filter housings?

Nope. As MSparks says ..there isn't a spin-on that I'm aware of that can match the Amsoil BE filter line in total performance. There are finer spin-on filters available ..but they will have nowhere near the holding capacity and longevity of the Amsoil BE filters. Any other offerings come in a variety of threads (none too common to avoid improper installation) and would require the purchase of the respective mounts. btw- the "finer" filters that I've seen are not necessarily "bypass" filters ...many are intended for hydraulic applications.

In the end if you want a "good" (as in top quality from a consumer standpoint) bypass filter system you are just as well off getting something from sparks here ..or one of our other vendors. Anything else runs into complications of access and distribution. In the end you're fighting to save about $10 or $20 and a whole lot of research (how do I know this??) and it probably won't be as good.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:
I really don't understand this. Why does someone want to use a filter that is only effecient down to 12 microns? Might as well stick with a full flow filter?

The replacement filters will have no where near the construction of the Amsoil filter.

Thanks, MSparks & Gary. I didn't realize that there was that much of a difference between the filtration efficiencies of bypass filters.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
In the end you're fighting to save about $10 or $20 and a whole lot of research (how do I know this??) and it probably won't be as good.
dunno.gif

Hahahaha,

I know about this Gary. Too bad you aren't paid for your time regarding research. You could probably retire by now.
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by slalom44:
I didn't realize that there was that much of a difference between the filtration efficiencies of bypass filters.

PS I'm not trying to decieve you but the by-pass filters that are mentioned in this thread are not the same.

If you look at the other by-pass filters, like TP, Oilguard, Amsoil, NTZ, Filtration-Solutions, TF Purifiner bypass filtration, puradyn and so forth the media is much much denser than what is listed above and you will have the more effecient media.

The Fram filter with the lid is a cartridge filter. They were far superior to any spin on pleated paper filter because they had a cotton element. The problem was the cotton elements were pretty much replaced by the inferior pleated paper elements. Without a good element all you have is a strainer. There is very little in the oil of a modern engine large enough to be filtered out by pleated paper. Frantz greatly improved the cartridge filter by selling a kit that converted the old Fram AC and other cannister filters to use a submicronic roll of high quality TP. The Frantz three stacker was similar except it was longer and took three rolls of TP. At the time in the early 50s a roll of TP cost about 10 cents. In the 60s you could still get the Fram cartridges for the Fram housing. Chances are if you went to a gas station and had your oil and filter changed you got a junk pleated paper element. In 1963 I had a flat head Rambler with a spin on bypass filter. The carburation wasn't too good on the car and the soot turned the oil black very fast. I tossed the filter and lines and installed a Frantz oil cleaner. The oil turned golden in a couple of days and that was the last time I ever ran an engine on dirty oil.
In 1966 Motor Guard came out with an improved housing and I went with them. The element is what makes the filter. I have a large cannister filter that is designed like the old Fram cannister filter but takes a cartridge filled with shredded newspapers. I converted it to take either two rolls of paper towels or two rolls of paper towels and three rolls of TP. It takes about four gallons of oil at filter change and needs about three feet of length and 10 inches of width to install one. They are for heavy duty diesel engines but are good for diesel pickups that travel a lot of miles. It will filter better than any filter including the TP filters because of it's size. The big housing is about 20 inches long but you have to allow enough room to pull out the element. I suggest that if you are going to install a bypass filter install one that cleans oil.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back