Planning a bypass filter install; need info for oil port on my 2000 Silverado 1500

Hanging out with the mice behind a fridge.😁
I am planning on installing a toilet paper bypass filter on my 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 and last time I researched them on here and other places about 5 years ago all I found was the Frantz filter that uses special media that isn't really that cheap.
Anyway I started researching again when I got this truck and I found the Refiner By John Frantz this morning so I gave the number a call and spent an hour talking to the owner which in this day and age was too cool and that alone sold me on his filter.
These filters use standard toilet paper rolls which is what I really want.
I came up with 2 different ways to install the filter.
One way is to use a sandwich adapter to connect to both sides of the full flow filter.
The other way is to tap into the oil gallery and return the clean oil to the sump.
That brings up my question. There are a couple of threaded plugs in the block above the stock filter location that I suspect would work for oil supply but I haven't found anything to verify that yet. Anyone know anything about those plugs on the GM small block 5.3?

Those plugs for the oil cooler lines? Fwiw that 5.3 will run longer than you want to own the truck.
I don't know what they are for but that is my suspicion.
I want to keep this truck in top shape until the frame snaps or I wreck it. My last 5.3 was a seriously abused Tahoe that I ran from 200,000 miles to 286,000 miles loaded to 6500 lb most of the time I owned it but I wrecked it so I got this truck to replace itt.

Here's a picture there is actually several different spots I think would tap into the oil gallery. The little adapter bolted on I'm 99.9% sure that is an oil passageway that could be drilled and tapped or there is the two plugs in the block above it which I am not positive what they are but I suspect they also go into the oil gallery.
IMG_20220202_141622686.jpg

You can use the Oil Cooler block-off plate, But don't drill/tap it to NPT (Pipe Thread) because 1/8" NPT is a little too small & drilling it out for 1/4" NPT reduces the wall thickness too much.

You can drill out the adaptor with a Letter Z drill bit (.4130"), Then tap it to M12x1.5 This requires you to tap it perfectly straight which is easier said than done on such a odd shaped part.

Then buy a M12x1.5 gasketed adaptor to whatever AN/JIC you want to use.....-4 AN is a popular size for Turbo installs.

If you don't think you can thread the adaptor straight, 1997-2004 C5 Corvettes had an adaptor that's drilled to M12x1.5 from the factory for the Oil Temp Sensor.....GM part# 12551587.

I'm well aware of aftermarket solutions for this (Billet block-off plates).....Never seen one that didn't leak after awhile.

The small galley right above the pan is an Oil Feed....Good luck getting any adaptor fitting in that tight spot!

The large plug is a Coolant Core Plug.

There's another oil galley plug up near the Power Steering Pump, It's M16x1.5 & gasketed adaptors are available.

You can use the Oil Cooler block-off plate, But don't drill/tap it to NPT (Pipe Thread) because 1/8" NPT is a little too small & drilling it out for 1/4" NPT reduces the wall thickness too much.

You can drill out the adaptor with a Letter Z drill bit (.4130"), Then tap it to M12x1.5 This requires you to tap it perfectly straight which is easier said than done on such a odd shaped part.

Then buy a M12x1.5 gasketed adaptor to whatever AN/JIC you want to use.....-4 AN is a popular size for Turbo installs.

If you don't think you can thread the adaptor straight, 1997-2004 C5 Corvettes had an adaptor that's drilled to M12x1.5 from the factory for the Oil Temp Sensor.....GM part# 12551587.

I'm well aware of aftermarket solutions for this (Billet block-off plates).....Never seen one that didn't leak after awhile.

The small galley right above the pan is an Oil Feed....Good luck getting any adaptor fitting in that tight spot!

The large plug is a Coolant Core Plug.

There's another oil galley plug up near the Power Steering Pump, It's M16x1.5 & gasketed adaptors are available.
Nice that GM part is perfect.
Now I have to decide if I really want to go this way or if I will go lazy and use a sandwich adapter. I like this way because the housing would be under lower pressure whereas the the sandwich adapter puts full oil pressure on it.

The sandwiche adaptor will be running from the feed or 'dirty' side of the full flow filter. I'd much rather it come from the clean side.

Back