Subaru Oil Filter ByPass Questions & Filter Comparison

The reason for most of the 'filter fear' comes from the 'jobber' filters at quick lubes and indies, and 'knock offs' sold online. I'm afraid of them too. I don't buy filters from makebelieve internet stores, and my cars at not serviced at quicklubes or indie shops. I DIY and have all the faith in the world from the selective brands' midline and premium filters at autozone/pepboys/oreillyauto/advanceautocarquest/napa/....

I believe in choice. I don't use OE oil filters, OE oil/atf/psf/coolant, don't need OE engine or cabin air filters, wipers, tires, washer fluid, rotors/pads, FI cleaners... etc.

I don't worry about aftermarket filters. I wonder how many quicklubes and indies source OE oil filters for God only knows how many 10,000's of oil/filter changes on subarus/hyundais.... every year.

It's perfectly reasonable to not include specific damage information on a TSB because it's not really all that relevant. They have determined that using the wrong filter poses a problem, this has clearly been tested and verified and is why the TSB went out. I'm sure Mazda has a tech line they can call to get the details if any of their employees wished to do so.
Rather than it being filtration or bypass related, is it possible that the mounting flange and/or threads have a different depth, preventing full engagement of the o-ring, or maybe not long enough leaving the threaded part too short to fully engage the threads?

Without any information from Mazda, this entire thread is pure speculation, since it doesn’t appear that any of the aftermarket filter manufacturers have removed the appropriate cross-references to avoid lawsuits? Seems like if there were engine failures caused by aftermarket filters, Mazda would kick this into their laps, and there would be class-actions all over the place?
The Mazda filter bulletin says the size and the threads are the same between the two. It probably is the bypass valve setting difference and/or a filter media flow performance difference. Are the turboed Subaru engines the ones with the super high volume oil pump?

The picture in post 32 says it requires a high flow filter.

Fram has their racing line which claims higher flow which isn't often discussed, but I imagine that would be a reasonable option.
They are 94% at 20micron. Which is pretty good.

That could depend on the filter orientation and the location of the bypass valve, and where captured crud can deposit and settle in the can. That's why Ford came out with a base plate located bypass on filters that mounted base upward.
IIRC it is AC/Delco who puts the bypass in the base. All others put it at the far end of the filter so bypass oil flows over the dirty side of the filter element before returning down the center of the can. If crud stays stuck in the element than all is fine but the harmful big crud is less likely to stick.

Also the far end of the filter is a dead zone, less flow, where sediment tends to settle until the bypass opens then flow starts.

That could depend on the filter orientation and the location of the bypass valve, and where captured crud can deposit and settle in the can. That's why Ford came out with a base plate located bypass on filters that mounted base upward.
On my Subaru, the base plate is in the down position, bypass valve up at the dome of the filter. So this means whatever crud would be at the base would not be entering through the by-pass valve when it opens. This is really good to know . . . thank you ZeeOSix!

Back