Quality of Sheetz gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, a few months ago I moved to an area with several Sheetz gas stations/stores nearby. I like their free air, their grab and go grub is edible and with a 3-cent off per gallon store card their gas prices meet or beat the best prices nearby.

But I have yet to buy gas there. I try to stick to Shell, Sunoco or Exxon. Never had an issue with any of them and it's only a few cents per gallon more, if that. But I wonder about Sheetz. Who supplies Sheetz gas or does it vary by region? Any reviews, good or bad?

Thanks.

As a kid I remember my dad filling up our old Acclaim with some Sheetz gas in the early 90's...it didn't like it. They do have some great food though...love me an MTO!

My guess is their gas is just the commodity stuff with the lowest detergent required by the EPA. By no means top tier.

Typical convenience store gas.
I'm confident that it will be pointed out profusely that their fuels are not blessed by the "Top Tier" Gods.
I've used it before without drama.

95% of the gas in this area comes from ONE tank farm (every station except for one brand).

So, in this area, outside of whatever additives that may (or may not) be added, it is pretty much all the same gas.

I always stop at sheetz for some MTO food when I'm home. I've pumped there for a lot of my life, and I know my dad still pumps there, no issues.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
95% of the gas in this area comes from ONE tank farm (every station except for one brand).

So, in this area, outside of whatever additives that may (or may not) be added, it is pretty much all the same gas.
\

Right, but the additives can make a difference, or so I keep hearing. That's why I stick to brands that have been proven to provide plenty of cleaning agents and detergents in their fuel. Once in a blue moon I fill up with Shell V-Power, even though for my car that might be silly.

My question is: Does the gas sold at Sheetz contain as much additive/cleansing goodness as the top brands, or does it vary from place to place?

https://www.sheetz.com/subpages/faqs.jsp#q06

Where does your gas supply come from?

Sheetz, Inc. is not in the business of buying or refining crude oil from any country. Furthermore, we do not import gasoline but instead buy it on a domestic basis. Therefore, we do not know or control where the crude oil or gasoline comes from. We buy gasoline from refineries located on the U.S. East and Gulf coast and other trading companies who are in the business of purchasing and refining crude oil.

The U.S. needs to import about 60% of its crude oil requirements and 10% of its gasoline needs. Currently, the leading supplier of crude oil to the U.S. is Canada, followed by Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, Mexico and the United Kingdom. However, because crude oil is transported to the U.S. from so many places and immediately "mixed" in tanks and petroleum pipelines for transportation to the refineries, it's impossible to determine exactly "where" the crude oil came from. Likewise, in most areas of the U.S. gasoline from different refiners is mixed together for transportation by a common pipeline network. Additionally, a gallon of gasoline may be traded several times before reaching its final destination, further complicating tracking a gallon's origin.

Heck, our 12 year old Saturn uses exclusively Sheetz gas and has lived on it for at least the last seven years with absolutely no ill effects. At Weis Supermarkets, we get $0.10 off a gallon at Sheetz for every $50 spent. I use no gas additives in the Saturn and it still gets the same mileage todayas it did when I bought it new. I say use it without concern and enjoy your ride.

How far west do they have stores?

I always thought they were a central-western PA deal only.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
How far west do they have stores?

I always thought they were a central-western PA deal only.
21.gif

Besides PA, they are in Va, WVa, Md, NC, and Ohio.

We used to have a 97 silverado with a vortec 350. Most of the time I got gas at sheetz the service engine soon light would come on. Then if I filled up at shell within 20 miles the light would go back off. I had the same issue with gas sold at giant grocery stores. I'm not a chemist or didn't track mileage comparing brands but with that truck the service engine light always let me know if I bought junk gas. just my 2 cents. After that I stayed away from sheetz.

A friend of mine works at the local FEDEX location as a mechanic. About a year ago he told me they had three brand new trucks that blew motors. He said when they pulled the heads they found evidence of excessive heat and detonation with holes in a few pistons. Corporate brought someone in to investigate and they sent a sample of the gas from the trucks to be analyzed. They found it contained just over 30% ethanol.

Guess where the local fedex gets their gas?

Every Fed Ex truck I've ever seen is diesel power (typically Cummins). I'm mind of surprised they even run gas engines.

Originally Posted By: Fast VW
A friend of mine works at the local FEDEX location as a mechanic. About a year ago he told me they had three brand new trucks that blew motors. He said when they pulled the heads they found evidence of excessive heat and detonation with holes in a few pistons. Corporate brought someone in to investigate and they sent a sample of the gas from the trucks to be analyzed. They found it contained just over 30% ethanol.

Guess where the local fedex gets their gas?

Sounds like they need to use the Sheetz warranty:

https://www.sheetz.com/subpages/gasoline.jsp

Interesting discussion, I have never had an issue when I used it, now I use a no name gas, no doubt not a TT however, they have 100% gas, no ethanol and I have been using for over a year now. Much better MPG, no issues who cares if it is not a TT. runs great and more energy per gallon than what your TT has and probably is better for the engine as well.

Whatever lets you sleep at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back