Quaker State-Pennzoil frankenblend?

I changed the oil in the wife’s 4Runner last month. It got half M1-AP 0W-20, and half VME 0W-20, because I’m trying to use up all the 0W-20 I picked up for $2.00/quart during the fall 2019 AutoZone clearance.

I'm guessing possibly that it is they do not use the exact same Lubrizol additive packages and reps from both companies have always said that although they are SOPUS, they are not just rebadged versions of the same oils. I wouldn't have a problem mixing to an extent, but wouldn't do it in a newer vehicle. I do mix but prefer not to do it "50/50" with one oil being the dominant one with maybe a qt. of another related oil if I need to use it up...

Very likely you are mixing the same oils.
No, it isn't. Possibly different add packs and even base oils.

Certainly they are compatible but they are not "the same". Pennzoil GTL comes from the Middle East whereas I've read here that QS might get their GTL from Malaysia...

The additive packages of Quaker State full synthetic and Pennzoil Platinum used to be nearly identical. Like almost exactly the same base elements. That doesn't mean the real compounds we're the same prior to being broken down.

A mix will work but it may not be optimal. I wouldn’t make a habit of it.
Dont agree but thats my opinion....I buy a five quart jug and a oil change on mine is around 4 qts...I save the guart of oil I did not use and the next time as long as it is the same weight 0w20 and is syn oil I pour the quart left over in the new jug weather it is Penns...Mobil 1 or another...they all meet the cars spec. for oil...I go with what is the best deal on a NAME brand oil...

Just a layman's question - assume one should NEVER mix a synthetic and regular oil?? Or this that not an issue given you can buy semi-synthetic (blends?) off the shelf?

Just a layman's question - assume one should NEVER mix a synthetic and regular oil?? Or this that not an issue given you can buy semi-synthetic (blends?) off the shelf?
What?

One minute the crowd complains that a Group III synthetic is not a real synthetic, and the next they are saying you can't mix it with a conventional which has a similar if not identical chemical structure. Which one is it?

And all Group IV based synthetics are blends if not only for the additive carrier.

Back in the day, I borrowed a friend's Honda 305 Scrambler. He told me to check the oil before riding. I asked him what kind of oil. He told me, "Any oil is better than no oil."
All good. Mix away.

OK, but my lawn mower gets really hot and abused more than my motorcycles or cars, so what kind of oil should I use?
My honda says use Honda oil, but Honda never manufactured oils? I know they haven't made any improvements in oil in the last 20 years or they would have sent out a tech bulletin?????:unsure::unsure::unsure:

OK, but my lawn mower gets really hot and abused more than my motorcycles or cars, so what kind of oil should I use?
My honda says use Honda oil, but Honda never manufactured oils? I know they haven't made any improvements in oil in the last 20 years or they would have sent out a tech bulletin?????:unsure::unsure::unsure:
Start a new thread with this worn out question.

I take it it calls for a straight 30? Run anything in that grade. Supertech, Briggs & Stratton oil from your local lawnmower shop, Honda, whatever.

Would anyone hesitate to do a 50-50 Frankenblend of Quaker State 5w30 full synthetic and Pennzoil Platinum 5w30?
a couple of changes back I found 4 quarts 10w40 QS HM on clearance at WM for $1 each. Now, I normally run 10w30 in my 5.4 3V

So I ran the QS HM 10w40 in my Navigator's crankcase mixed with 3 quarts of 10 year old, SM rated Mobil Clean 5000 5w20. Ran it for 5000 miles.

Engine's still running.

View attachment 127155

Mix these colors together and you get something like this,

View attachment 127156

which is called Chartreuse

Olive oil ? Great for cooking .

IMG_9655.JPG

Last edited:
I had it happen more than once when submitting samples for claim testing. If the tracer element isn't present in the proper concentration, that's evidence that a product of another company was mixed with ours. Or it isn't ours at all. As far as I know, no company warranties their product when it's altered or diluted by that of another.

I had it happen more than once when submitting samples for claim testing. If the tracer element isn't present in the proper concentration, that's evidence that a product of another company was mixed with ours. Or it isn't ours at all. As far as I know, no company warranties their product when it's altered or diluted by that of another.
Ahha you mean for the product. Sorry I misunderstood.

North Georgia Winter Frankenbrew : Valvoline Advanced 10W30 SP (4 qrts.) + Valvoline Advanced 5W30 SP (1 qrt.) in Hyundai 2.4L GDI . This 10W30 has fantastic HTHS , low NOACK and extremely low VII's (best specs of any WM oil) . I add the one qrt. of 5W30 for a slight start up assist in the occasional low teens overnight we see but admittedly it's probably not needed . The same oil weight and ratio using PPPP would be next best .

Back