QS Defy HM vs Havoline HM in 5w-20

I know this is splitting hairs, but of the 2 which is the better oil? Both are SP syn-blends that are about equal in price at Wally. Does Havoline use the Chevron Isosyn group II+ base oil?

Identical specs and.... Identical additive package too...

Both have around 160-200 ppm of molybdenum 100-130 of boron and around 1000 to 1200 calcium and 300-500 of magnesium.

Literally flip a coin. Both are very good oils for the price. I have run both.

Identical specs and.... Identical additive package too...

Both have around 160-200 ppm of molybdenum 100-130 of boron and around 1000 to 1200 calcium and 300-500 of magnesium.

Literally flip a coin. Both are very good oils for the price. I have run both.

This sounds about right. As for the Isosyn question, nobody knows and Chevron won’t say either. It’s not that important anyway.

Both are decent oils.

This sounds about right. As for the Isosyn question, nobody knows and Chevron won’t say either. It’s not that important anyway.

Both are decent oils.
Isn't "Isosyn" just Chevron's marketing wank saying that they use hydrocracked basestocks refering to the catalysed wax hydroisomerization process, from what I've been able to ascertain Isosyn refers to "grp II+" and "grp III" base stocks.

Isn't "Isosyn" just Chevron's marketing wank saying that they use hydrocracked basestocks refering to the catalysed wax hydroisomerization process, from what I've been able to ascertain Isosyn refers to "grp II+" and "grp III" base stocks.

That sounds right. It’s been around for a long time.

Back