QOTD: Will you view new vehicles built during the pandemic differently?

As we move forward, will the pandemic make you view vehicles that were built during the pandemic (between 3-2020 and today) differently?

Do you foresee vehicles built during that time period to have more quality and quality control issues, due to the fluctuations caused by labor and parts shortages? Also, this is not just the vehicle manufacturers themselves, but also considering all of the components that they obtain from all of their outside suppliers as well.

If there was a shortage of brake rotors, would a manufacturer change suppliers and use lower quality components from India... just to keep the assembly lines running?

No, the robots didn't know of any difference, but everything single thing touched by humans did.

Discuss.

You certainly make a good point! We will find out in years to come. I don't have an informed/educated opinion.

As we move forward, will the pandemic make you view vehicles that were built during the pandemic (between 3-2020 and today) differently?

Do you foresee vehicles built during that time period to have more quality and quality control issues, due to the fluctuations caused by labor and parts shortages? Also, this is not just the vehicle manufacturers themselves, but also considering all of the components that they obtain from all of their outside suppliers as well.

If there was a shortage of brake rotors, would a manufacturer change suppliers and use lower quality components from India... just to keep the assembly lines running?

No, the robots didn't know of any difference, but everything single thing touched by humans did.

Discuss.

No.

I dont build cars, but I build electronics for the TV / film industry and can say that its much easier to simply wait for the parts you need than try to instantly spec a replacement and hammer out an agreement with a new vendor.

Not directly related to quality control issues, but I would prefer to avoid buying in a market with constrained supply. The implied threat of walking away from a deal doesn't carry much weight when the car lots are half (or more) empty.

My Jeep was built Oct 17, 2020 and purchased the first week of November. No issues, initial build quality along with fit and finish appear to be excellent. I would expect any quality control issues to appear immediately or within the first few weeks.

Not directly related to quality control issues, but I would prefer to avoid buying in a market with constrained supply. The implied threat of walking away from a deal doesn't carry much weight when the car lots are half (or more) empty.

Sure when buying new IF supply is constrained which it often artificially is for desirable models - I agree.

5 years from now looking back I won't " penalize" a potential purchase simply because it was a 2020 model or built in 2020.

I spent most of my career in the Auto Industry, I really doubt that any consumer could ever expect any issues related to Covid for their car made during the pandemic. If the car makes it to dealer, all likely went fine, however if a model is affected by component shortages, it will take longer to arrive at dealer.

I don’t think I’ll view them differently. I try not to think of current events if I don’t have too. But I do know their is a parts shortage currently as we have had to delay repairs at work due to lack of parts available. Like we needed a couple things for a car the other day and the parts store and dealership said it would be minimum of a month before those parts are in stock again. Making many customers angry I do know that. But I’d say the factory probably gets first dibs on available parts most likely.

These companies are having serious issues getting certain computer chip products that go into critical modules for the vehicles,
if anything it will be a serious lack of vehicle supply in the coming year or two. Especially popular vehicles like trucks and SUVs.

Not really, bad design is bad design and good companies will stand behind good products they build.

Conclusion: stay away from bad products designed and build by bad companies.

Walk through a dealership's parts dept and you'll be amazed at all the third world countries the "Made in USA" parts come from. This has been for at least the past 20 years.

I'll look at them the same way I did before and will after the pandemic: Overly-complicated with way too much questionable technology that will turn them into black holes for dollars once the warranty is up.
Exactly, I'd say the sweet spot for vehicles was probably the mid 1990s for the balance between technology and reliability.
You had the basic engine controls monitored and regulated by basic tech that was very reliable, and made the cars very reliable and efficient.
After the late 90s or early 2000s they all become overly complex junk boxes.

February 2020, my Dad ordered 4 brand new vehicles, 1 for himself, and 3 company vehicles. Expecting delivery in April or May 2020, they then were delayed, and 2 arrived in August, then 2 more in October. All 4 have been 100% perfect, and quality looks good. I've personally driven all 4 many times.

February 2020, my Dad ordered 4 brand new vehicles, 1 for himself, and 3 company vehicles. Expecting delivery in April or May 2020, they then were delayed, and 2 arrived in August, then 2 more in October. All 4 have been 100% perfect, and quality looks good. I've personally driven all 4 many times.
Care to tell us which vehicles he ordered? Curious, if they are good might be worth a look.

I don't know why, but I'm a magnet for these. I spend more time doing captchas than doing the task I need to do. I will definitely avoid this site if it plagues me like NAPA's website does. They're the worst IMO.

Who thought it was a great idea for the human to prove to the robot they're human instead of the way it should be: the robot trying to prove to the human they aren't a robot.

Back