Purpose of a treadmill?

Over the past few months, my GF and I have been integrating "cardio days" onto the end of our week of weight training.
The machines we usually use, vary from the stair climber, elliptical, bicycle and the treadmill.
We usually pick three and do 20 minutes of High Intensity Interval Training mixed in, just to keep things interesting.

I've been getting pretty good at maxing out the machine at 11mph and holding that speed for 45 seconds to a minute at a time.
I usually keep a slight incline, just to keep it somewhat comparable to running outdoors. I used to feel like I was losing sync with each stride when I started getting closer to 10mph.
Now at 11, I don't feel that "uneasy" feeling like I'm gonna lose my stepping....everything just feels more "fluid" (if that makes sense)
My question to the forum, is what's the benefit of the treadmill?

it's a supplement for actual running, but can't be used solely for cardio.

You have to either run, do leg workout, or use a manual treadmill.

Just looked up average jogging speed, it's 4 to 6 mph. I think the point is to reach your target heart rate for half an hour.

None outside of maybe physical therapy type situations. That and the elliptical seem pretty worthless other than getting the heart rate up.

A stair stepper with the moving stairs may be ok since you really are moving your body mass.

Indoor training I’d say the rowing machine is best. I’m partial to it. Indoor bike is OK.

The only purposes of a treadmill is using it as a 'bunny slope' to getting into distance running or for physical therapy for people with an injury or physical disability.

There's TONS of elliptical slander online and in the gym but it's a misunderstood machine. It has almost no impact on your joints. If you're looking for supplemental cardio that doesn't add additional fatigue to your muscles and joints it's a great machine.

Back