What do you do for exercise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Presumably all of you are doing some kind of aerobic exercise to maintain good cardio-vascular health and to help prevent cholesterol problems. If not, you really should. Also, hoisting beers (and or oil quarts) does not qualify as exercise, so let's hear about some real exercise regimes. Doesn't have to be excessive, just something to maintain a semblance of health. Also feel free to list your complete regime, not just the aerobics. Here is mine:

Four to five times a week I will walk about 64 flights of stairs, each with 10 steps. Typical routine:

6:30 am: Do 12 pushups
7:30 am: Down 10 flights
3:00 pm: Down 12, up 54, down 42
4:30 pm: Up 10

If it's not winter or raining, then my wife takes me with the kids on a 20 minute bicycle ride in the evening.

Been doing the stair since about May. Before that it was a couple years of running 4 miles a week, which combined with cutting out junk food, resulted in loss of 30 lbs. I went down to 165 lbs for 6'2". Am now 170 lb. Had to quit running because knees were giving me much trouble. Stairway not bothering knees--yet.

At least 2 times a week these coming weeks, I load car with fishing gear, drive to middle and south forks of platte river, and catch big ol spawning brown trout. Seriously, it ends up being a good hike and you have to crawl up and down the river banks etc. Sometimes I end up 30 minutes upstream from where I parked, so it's good exercise, especially for the spirit and soul.

I used to do 100 pushups, 50 situps and a few minutes rope jumping in one sitting every day. I also used to swim on most days for at least one hour and I was riding my bike every day. I was also an avid tree climber. Chimps had nothing on me.

I still go swimming often and ride my bike for an hour almost daily. I hate running (other than running my mouth). I find it deadly boring and can't motivate myself to do it.

Lift light weights every other day. Walk 1 1/2 miles every other day. Use a Nordic Trac ski machine when weather is bad on the walking day, or when I feel like doubling up.

Summer-
Road bicycle 20 miles with heart rate @ 150 to 170 for the duration or 90 to 120 minute mountain bike ride 2 to 3 times a week. Weights 3 to 4 times a week.
Winter-
Snow-shoe 3 to 4 hours per week or treadmill 45 minutes 2 to 3 times a week. Weights 3 to 4 times a week.

This summer I replaced the roof on my house. Prying off the shingles, carrying the shingles off the roof, redecking, hoisting bundles up the ladder... it got my heart rate up, break a sweat, and helped build up my muscles, and helped me save $6000. The ideal weight for my height is 215. I'm only 10 pounds over.

I'd rather do something useful like shovel snow, chop wood, or plant a tree than run around in circles.

I just realized my mother's house needs a new roof...

Quote:

50 situps

I do laydowns. At least 50. I frequently mix it up with sitdowns in a semi-circuit training routine.

Having no cartilage in my left knee kinda limits any serious exercise to "lunging" in water. Although kicking causes little pain, you can feel bone on bone. Stairs are fine going down, but up ..it's either right leg leading the entire way ..or a high friction motion. It's not really painful ..just darn awkward. Walking is just fine as long as sciatica stays in check (reduced by water activities).

Where are those bionic enhancements when we need them? I demand cyborg technology to be made available now!
wink.gif

My main exercise is pressing the channel up button on the remote. It tones your abs real well.

I run at least 3 days a week, usually 4, currently I'm up to 2 miles each time. After the 2 miles, I run 3-5 100 yard sprints. Then I go home and lie down.
Slack compared to earlier times, when I ran 4-6 miles every single day cross-country, stayed in the dojo for 2-3 hours 4 nights a week and from April-October swimming, surfing and body-surfing in the ocean almost every day.
I hope to improve.

Tallboys...16 oz curls...the wifey bought extra heavy stainless steel forks, spoons, and knives at Wal-Mart...so I could workout at the table...I also run my gator mouth in rapid burst to increase fast muscle twitch proteins...
beer2.gif

I mow part - all of my 2 acre lawn with a non-self propelled mower. I have a Simplicity tractor to finish what I cannot tolerate when hot.

I also have about 4 cords of random hardwood to split/stack. I peck at it for about 30 mins per day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back