What do you get for free these days?

It amazes me what we have been able to get for free over the years.

Brief list here in northwest Georgia...

Internet - Library provides free Wi-Fi hot spots
Classes - Library has a ton of online classes. My wife has been learning guitar and art since the new year.
Books - Well, obviously
McDonalds - Not sure if this is a good thing but all we do is buy a $1 hamburger in the store and we get a neverending supply of happy meals by filling out a survey.
Furniture - We have folks who move and leave the stuff at their home ALL the time. Metro-Atlanta is a highly transient area.
Chainsaw
Ridiculously Large Canopy
Artwork
Clothes - Freecycle, Hand me downs, work etc.
Restaurants - We used to mystery shop a lot.
Gas - Same deal. Although this is no longer around.

What's the nicest thing(s) you got for free that were things?

Scrap metal area at the dump had a perfectly fine push mower that I scored.

That's it for me in my area.. NYS is not cheap.

I love the Craigslist Free section. You have to be fast for the good stuff. A snow blower and a propane tank a few weeks ago was my latest score. Another month it will be free lawnmowers after they wont start after sitting all winter.

Recently I've been given many slices of cake. A commercial bakery near me produces in excess.
After the big customers buy (in multiples) they're given to walk in customers with any purchase. I give 'em to neighbors.
I bring the bakery coins and small bills and I have a standing invitation to take as many as I can carry.

At work we replaced wire rope constantly so I got the old stuff for free. It was cool, my mates would help coil it up for me.
150' to 200' lengths of 3/8" and other sizes of wire rope are always snapped up by my rural neighbors upstate.

At work we were clearing out the grease lab of free samples that accumulated. We divided up the greases and other lubricants. I have a lifetime supply of Nyogel, Krytox, and various Grade 1.5 and Grade 2 greases. Some greases were worth $900 per pound.

I also got a lifetime supply of oleic acid, which I reed for my radio hobby to clean tarnished electrical contacts.

Used to be the case at my job also, then some scumbags ruined it for us.. Ordering lubricants that were unneeded just to take them home after a bit.
Equipment was the same way.. Used or broken equipment used to be auctioned off to employees every year. People were either breaking stuff on purpose to get the equipment into the auction, or were declaring equipment as old and not used anymore.
People would either score stuff for home usage, or would just turn around and re-sell the easily fixed equipment for profit..

People always ruin a good thing.

My wife just found out she has one yesterday, again.
I just was operated on twice due to several stones in my kidney. Been making the bastards for years, every size stone has a different pain level than the last, not based on size either.
Hate the bastards.. Sorry your wife is going through that

Cats. They just randomly show up looking for a place to live. Last one I adopted used to run into my house every opportunity that he got. I figured that it was his way of telling me that he didn't want to live outside any more. Maine Coon as well.

At work we replaced wire rope constantly so I got the old stuff for free. It was cool, my mates would help coil it up for me.
150' to 200' lengths of 3/8" and other sizes of wire rope are always snapped up by my rural neighbors upstate.
What's the rope used for?

Internet service, medical care. Since about 2005 I've paid for only one office visit in the amount of $64.00. Everything else, and I mean everything, has been paid for 100% by insurance, and because of "special circumstances," I pay nothing for the insurance, either.

Back