Weightlifting When Older

No doubt that weight lifting is good for bone density and older people benefit. But whats too much for a given age ? I have always had small arms. I lift about 2-3 times a week.

I usually warm up on the treadmill or elliptical for 15 minutes or so.

I generally do free weight bench press about 135lbs 5 sets of 8-10, free weight curls with a 45lb barbell 5 sets of 8-10. Shoulder press on a machine 80lbs. Chest fly machine 80lbs. I use a machine for triceps 130lbs.

I'm 58 this year should i continue the the bench press with the 45lb plates, still go up in weight in small increments? Or should i back off and just do reps?

Whats too much weight when you get into your late 50's and up ?

Last edited:
As the founder of Crossfit says, heavy weights are the quickest way to adaptation. Also the quickest way to get injured. I think the goal is to lift as heavy as you want while minimizing injury. At 58, we're not going to bulk up much but we can get stronger. The 8-10 rep range should hit that sweet spot.

It all depends on your goals, and nutrition. Even the kind blanket statements you have received don't really understand your physical history, medical condition, or nutrition. If this is a serious question, start with your doctor, then come back with some information and goals, and I would be happy to chat about it.

I would avoid lifting more than 75% of max. Volume over intensity. 2 -3 times a week should be sufficient. Lots of recovery time. Swim.
Sounds good. I don't know what my 1 rep max is, i don't want to risk injury finding out lol.

I figure if i can't complete the 9-10th rep on sets 4 and 5 , that may be about right. Sound reasonable ?

I just read an article about this. Basically look for movements which reduce the risk of injury to your joints and workout often.

For example: Trade barbell dead lifts for trap bar deadlifts. Trade barbell bench press for banded push ups. Trade military press for 1-arm landmine press.

Weight is irrelevant as long as you maintain form.

I just figured there are some older guys here , who lift. Trainers at the gym are younger guys, so not sure i trust what they would recommend. Physician just says do what you feel like.

Not trying to make this a medical specific question, just wanted an idea what others here who are older and lift do.

My take, I'm 50. Once I retired from the cop job I didn't need the bulk anymore. Since HS and sports I've always trained for strength and size of course. Now I try yo protect the joints with still good weight but not pushing that last overload set with heavy weights. Now it's more reps, less weight, and less bulking. Keep that bone density up and muscular strengh up = a more independent life.

I just figured there are some older guys here , who lift. Trainers at the gym are younger guys, so not sure i trust what they would recommend. Physician just says do what you feel like.

Not trying to make this a medical specific question, just wanted an idea what others here who are older and lift do.
We also have some guys on here who have degrees and taught/incorporated weights before too. ;)

No doubt that weight lifting is good for bone density and older people benefit. But whats too much for a given age ? I have always had small arms. I lift about 2-3 times a week.

I usually warm up on the treadmill or elliptical for 15 minutes or so.

I generally do free weight bench press about 135lbs 5 sets of 8-10, free weight curls with a 45lb barbell 5 sets of 8-10. Shoulder press on a machine 80lbs. Chest fly machine 80lbs. I use a machine for triceps 130lbs.

I'm 58 this year should i continue the the bench press with the 45lb plates, still go up in weight in small increments? Or should i back off and just do reps?

Whats too much weight when you get into your late 50's and up ?
5 sets of 8-10 is the ole standard "maintain" or endurance weight lifting. It's a good standard to follow. What I've done before for students/athletes as well is a 5x20 but with lighter weight to help build the endurance. Usually the sports like golf/tennis/cross country or for volleyball setters.

5 sets of 8-10 is the ole standard "maintain" or endurance weight lifting. It's a good standard to follow. What I've done before for students/athletes as well is a 5x20 but with lighter weight to help build the endurance. Usually the sports like golf/tennis/cross country or for volleyball setters.
Thanks!

The most important thing is the form. Many people don't fully lower the bar to their chest when they bench, which always results in injury in the long term due to poor muscle development and reduced flexibility.

The next most important point is to listen to your body. If something doesn't feel right, modify your workout or take a break from working out.

Both high reps and heavy weights can result in injury. It is important to switch between high reps and heavy weights from time to time. Neither workout style should be used for prolonged periods. As long as you can do at least four reps, you will see some benefit. What I do, a increase the weight every week and when I am down to four reps, I go back to the beginning, typically the weights of three months earlier and do high reps again while gradually increasing the weight every week until I go to low reps, and I keep repeating it with the three-month period. I also take a break for a week every three months before I restart.

weightlifting is surely good, BUT caution is preferred + only YOU know how you feel! i feel better when i do some dumbells + like others want to maintain strength as i age, 74 YO now. lifting can raise your T, very important for sure + on that note getting your hormones checked is important as they effect your physical abilities + without proper hormone levels building muscle wont happen! i am not a big guy but doing hard physical work all my life allows me to be IMO above average for my age + if $$$ allows getting a trainer can be good, so IMO you can help yourself + your health WITHOUT hurting yourself by weight lifting. check out some fitness sites to learn more, BUT be aware of your limitations + even thou you dont have bulging muscles you can be stronger + healthier for your age

I'd focus on being healthy, not appearance. I'm 49. I could really stand to bulk up a bit... I mean... any at all... :LOL: but I'm not risking a torn muscle or some other headache to do it.

My father in law decided to have back surgery a couple months ago. He was prepared for a simple in/out/feel better thing.

He's had delirium now for two months after the anesthesia. Hope he comes out of it. This is an extreme example but it makes me cautious about staying healthy and avoiding unnecessary risk. I used to be the opposite. It won't happen to me. But now I try to avoid those "it only takes one time" types of things.

Something else that needs reinforced is what Gokhan hit a little bit on....form. Proper form with little/medium weight > crappy form with heavy weight. Not letting back slouch, not bouncing/swinging dumbbells when doing curls, etc.

Back