Purolator BOSS PICS open and can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Toto
Go to the Mann Hummel web site and poke around I think it is impressive this company is a world leader and they are guiding Purolator so don't worry about small holes in the center tubes or plastic mesh filter media these are the top engineers and they more know what to do than you or me in product development.

A website only means their web graphics designer and PR propaganda is slick, that's all. Purolator needs to come out strong with actual product performance specs.

Also, those "top engineers" you mentioned must design to cost, not just performance. Many products with other "top engineers" end up being inferior (usually adequate though) because they wanted the product to be cheaper. Cheap is OK, yet hiding micron performance specs is not OK.

Use of plastic mesh backing (Boss) instead of the more expensive metal mesh (Ultra) is likely smart if they use durable plastic material. If the cheaper plastic mesh starts cracking apart at 10,000 miles, those plastic mesh pieces go to your bearings, if they make it past the center-tube perforations that is.

https://www.mann-hummel.com/fileadmin/us.../W993902101.pdf

ISO Standards include product testing.

There is absolutely nothing in that brochure that even eluded to any kind of ISO test standard related to efficiency. As I mentioned before, all the ISO specs they reference are for manufacturing and environmental specs ... not performance specs.

lubricatosaurus ... +1 on your post above.

Those ISO mentions are good, just not anywhere near sufficient.
Some of us want to know how the Boss compares to Ultra.

I'll assume they did heat-soak durability testing on those plastic mesh parts. I can't assume their efficiency specs are the same as Ultra's.

https://www.mann-hummel.com/fileadmin/us.../W993902101.pdf

ISO Standards include product testing

Wire Mesh old technology

Plastic Mesh new cutting edge technology

Go to the Mann Hummel web site and poke around I think it is impressive this company is a world leader and they are guiding Purolator so don't worry about small holes in the center tubes or plastic mesh filter media these are the top engineers and they more know what to do than you or me in product development.

World leader? LOL. No ISO specs on performance. This brought to us by the group nicknamed Tearolator. Why do you think they will do better the second time?

Apparent Purolator strategy:

We're Purolator, we invented the oil filter. Trust us.
grin2.gif
grin2.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
World leader? LOL. ...

World leader in white (red) wash and marketing hogwash...

People have been asking for ISO efficiency ratings on their Facebook page for months... none are forthcoming...

Ask yourself why...?

Marketing won and engineering lost... that is why... If the efficiency ratings were better than the completion they'd be forefront...

Change the design --> low efficiency --> less delta-p --> less tearing --> don't disclose the efficiency.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Marketing won and engineering lost... that is why... If the efficiency ratings were better than the competition they'd be forefront...

Darn auto correct..

Amazing that anyone would expect anything different.. I have said it before use a quality filter like a Wix or an Ultra if you can get a good price on one and use it for 2 6000 mile oci's

All that Purolator hating aside, even though they deserve it, The Boss is probably a good oil filter. I could see someone trusting it after the fiasco they went through, knowing they would step up dilligence now to avoid a repeat.
They know lots of people cut filters open, so nowhere to hide.
Kind of like the safest place to get a burrito now is Chipotle after their e coli problems, they are currently hitting it hard to avoid that again.

Personally i would not get a burrito there for a long time second i wont buy a purolator for a long long long time especially as they don't list their specs.
Some companies keep screwing up look at Chrysler with the 2.7 to name only one there are lots more.
As far as i know Purolator still never admitted there were any issues with their tearing filters they just pretended nothing was wrong and the best is when you called they acted like they never heard that before.
Anyone can be burned once but if it happens again they are a fool.
If and when i see them really improve i will be the first one to say good job now the only positive thing i can say is nice paint job,Sometimes....

It's clear that no matter what Purolator does to improve/reinvent their product, it won't be enough for some on here.

You have to wonder about the objectivity of folks that are critical of a product that hasn't even been rolled out into full distribution yet.

We're talking oil filters here. So religious like fervor isn't warranted. Yet that's what we see here.

Just don't buy the [censored] things and let it go.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
It's clear that no matter what Purolator does to improve/reinvent their product, it won't be enough for some on here.

Its simple: No efficiency specs published, there will be skepticism. Fram publishes theirs. Why can't Purolator step up and be honest? That's all. No religion, its just plain old facts and trust. You could run out and use one, although Fram Ultra already delivers the best product.

Well I checked the new Purolators to compare the tube slit size openings versus the slits on the Baldwin filters I use. The slits on Purolators are definitely smaller in size than the Baldwins. I'm going to stick to the Baldwins and Wix filters for now. I'm sure Purolator has conducted flow tests but on real cold mornings, I wonder how much those small center tube slit openings will effect oil flow?

xtell

Wow ocd is rampant around here lol.
So if the holes are smaller, doesn't it mean there's just more holes lol. If the oil can squeeze inbetween bearing clearances etc, it can get through those holes

Well, time to cancel the order on the Puro Synthetic and find one of these bad boys. That's a good quality filter right there and if it's made by Mann, I'll swear by it.

$11 a pop my cost at Advance, my store had to hunt in the back to find them
smile.gif
Same price as the NAPA Plat so worth a shot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pepsibottle1
Well, time to cancel the order on the Puro Synthetic and find one of these bad boys. That's a good quality filter right there and if it's made by Mann, I'll swear by it.

Why the rush? Why not let someone less informed be the guinea pig?

BTW - if it were made by Mann or the Germans were in complete control, then you would have technical specifications out the wazoo. The lack of a micron level on the efficiency rating is troubling enough, but coming from a company owned by the Germans, it is downright disturbing.

Up to this days and after owning multiple german cars, i still havent found any technical specs regarding filtration efficiency or capacity on any euro OEM filter.

I dare to say Pepsibottle1 will be completely fine since the tearing issues never, ever affected the synthethic filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back