Purolator Boss PBL24011 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a Purolator Boss PBL24011 today, and cut it open to take a look. The equivalent filter would be an ACDelco PF52 or a Fram XX3980. Bought it at Advance Auto Parts online for $9.59 before tax with a 20% code. Retail or shelf price was $11.99.

Filter weighed in at a whopping 14.3 oz.. I weighed the equivalent Fram Ultra XG3980 earlier this past year, and it weighed in at 12.8 oz. Pleat count total was 61, and it does have a metal crimped seam. Most of the glue I have seen used on oil filters is a brown color. The Purolator Boss is using a different kind of glue, and it is a light cream color. Purolator used extra glue at the seam area, and you can see that in the pictures.

I know a lot has been said about what is the micron rating and all that mess, but I don't really care because this filter is the Boss. The quality is top notch.

IMG_3456.jpg

IMG_3457.jpg

IMG_3458.jpg

IMG_3460.jpg

IMG_3459.jpg

IMG_3461.jpg

IMG_3462.jpg

IMG_3466.jpg

IMG_3465.jpg

IMG_3463.jpg

IMG_3464.jpg

IMG_3468.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Nice pictures. Is the media wirebacked?

It is polymer backed, so there is no need for wire. I could not tear it with my fingers. It is really tough media. Pictures coming.

Back side of media pictures. Once I get the media all the way cut off, I will get some measurements.

IMG_3469.jpg

IMG_3470.jpg

Thanks for taking one for the team. It is definitely a step up from the old PSL line, but for the money, I will take the wire backed Ultra over this one. The other issue is there has not been any efficiency numbers posted anywhere for this line of filters (unless someone has seen them?).

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Thanks for taking one for the team. It is definitely a step up from the old PSL line, but for the money, I will take the wire backed Ultra over this one. The other issue is there has not been any efficiency numbers posted anywhere for this line of filters (unless someone has seen them?).

Thank you! All the holding and looking was getting old, so I just had to do it.

I finally tried out an Ultra for the first time and plan to use it for at least 15k miles no matter how many OCI's that turns out to be. If this thing can go the same distance, it isn't too bad of a deal being $4-$5 more than an Ultra.

It looks good. Now we have to give them some time in service and see how they hold up. It certainly looks like a step in the right direction for Purolator.

Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: Xrs2zz
I finally tried out an Ultra for the first time and plan to use it for at least 15k miles no matter how many OCI's that turns out to be. If this thing can go the same distance, it isn't too bad of a deal being $4-$5 more than an Ultra.

$4 to $5 more than Ultra? You must have missed my first post because I bought it locally for $9.59. Best price I can get on a Fram Ultra locally is at Walmart for $8.97. Advance does not stock the Fram Ultra any longer, so I can't use a code on that one.

The 6-sided box is cool. Too bad they got rid of the textured grip.

Therefore, the best ones to get are the ones made in the summer/early fall, the new filter in the old can.

Originally Posted By: alltrac
Looks good the only thing I don't like is the cheese grater center tube.

This would be my go to filter but I cant get by that center tube
33.gif
, just too restrictive don't like it at all.

Everything else looks outstanding great quality.

My eyes are pretty bad, but I see plenty of holes, and no I am not counting them!

Non-bypass application? I'd like to see if the dome-end bypass valve is still the usual Purolator type, which I prefer over the Fram type.

I hope the polymer backing holds shape as well as wire backing does, a few well-used examples should shed light on that. I don't think it'll bump Royal Purple and Fram Ultra from my #1 and #2 (respectively) choices, but looks very good pending some efficiency numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back