Purolator Boss PBL24011 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mrsandman
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'm betting they are 99.9% @ 30 microns which isn't great but just a guess since they've done that before.

Lol your hoping you mean.
Haha, the fram fanatics are getting scared. Your holding on to 1 last spec.,praying that its either not great or is never revealed.
This is so fun!

I don't think it's a matter of Fram fanatics, so much as everyone who had been using Puros having an "oh [censored]" moment when they started tearing and ended up settling on the Fram Ultra as the next best thing that was easily available and not insanely expensive.

Personally, I don't care who makes the filter as long as I can get one when I need it and the thing is decently put together, holds up in use without any damage or failures and filters well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rslifkin
I don't think it's a matter of Fram fanatics, so much as everyone who had been using Puros having an "oh [censored]" moment when they started tearing and ended up settling on the Fram Ultra as the next which is best thing that was easily available and not insanely expensive.

Fixed it for ya.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
^^^^I thought he is BigDaddy?

One of those old trolls at least ... there have been many.

I think this filter looks really good. However, I am not rushing out to buy one because I don't really need this expensive of a filter.

I think Purolator was trying to push the efficiency too far. Under certain conditions, the DP across the media is too much and leads to a tear. All of the tears seem to be located near the splice where the spacing is the greatest. The filter should have been in bypass long before the media would tear.

Considering that Mann also purchased Affinia, I wonder what will become of Wix?

Therefore, I have been looking at some of Champion Labs filters in addition to the Wix.

Some eCores are definitely very basic but then modern versions of the Firestone, STP and AC Delco look good and the potential for the media blowing out is much reduced. The old ones have vertical spines in the core every 90 degrees where the new ones have vertical spines every 45 degrees.

The quick lube place filters have millions of miles on low end eCores, Frams, etc. Those vehicles are not blowing up.

Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
I think Purolator was trying to push the efficiency too far. Under certain conditions, the DP across the media is too much and leads to a tear. All of the tears seem to be located near the splice where the spacing is the greatest. The filter should have been in bypass long before the media would tear.

Actually, the delta-p across their high efficiency PureOne wasn't much at all - see link below - 4.1 PSID at 10 GPM with hot oil. The delta-p was way less than the bypass setting.

And you are right, the media should be able to take the stress beyond what the oil flowing through it would cause when the bypass valve opens up and beyond. That obviously wasn't the case with the Tearolators.

Flow vs PSID for the PureOne

Yes, I read most of that thread. That is just plain good information.

I think the following are factors impacting reliability: Pleat spacing, media strength, media consistency, filter geometry, oil viscosity at cold start temperatures, oil condition, time in use, thermal gradients across the filter element during warm up, temperature coefficient mismatch between the various materials in the filter, filter response to temperature change, filter response to pressure changes, driving habits during warm up, environmental exposures before install, bypass function, oil change interval, core strength, core type, adhesive type, adhesive compliance, ADBV material type, bypass type and material and media sensitivity to contaminants in the oil. i'm not sure this even scratches the surface.

I think it is good when the filter manufacturer targets the OCI. For example, Extra Gaurd -> 3-5k, Tough guard -> 10k, Ultra -> 15k.

The delta-P across the media would be higher at low temperature when the oil viscosity Is high. At least up to the minimum bypass. By design, the minimum bypass setting should be less than the delta-p needed to tear the media.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sir1900
It is polymer-backed.

OK -- if the cost of fishing line goes up, you'll know why.
grin2.gif

Ah Hah!! I knew I saw that polymer webbing some place!!

If it's the same stuff as a Dobie, that stuff never wears out!
shocked2.gif

Scotch-Brite Dobie =
powerlifter.gif

B580990_1wco.gif

1014566507.jpg

Originally Posted By: Fordai
Is the glue in the center tube an issue?

No, a lot of oil filters have a bead of glue like that inside the center tube. If they are using the right stuff, it should never move from where it has dried.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Fordai
Is the glue in the center tube an issue?

No, a lot of oil filters have a bead of glue like that inside the center tube. If they are using the right stuff, it should never move from where it has dried.

Oh okay. I grabbed a BOSS earlier today and noticed the same thing on that one.

+1.....will continue to use the Fram Ultra because it has proven itself and is a 'best buy for the buck'.

Without efficiency numbers....makes me wonder how good it really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back