Sweet, maybe a PurolatorOne now?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Center tube pictures. Lots of holes.

IMG_3472.jpg

IMG_3471.jpg

IMG_3474.jpg

IMG_3473.jpg

In the second photo I can clearly see both your thumb and fore finger, that tree and sky thru the perforations in that center tube. That suggests to me the tube restriction would not be greater than the media at all. BITOG been over cold flow of oil several times on here and oil pressure inside an engine. This is a nice design.

Last edited:
I might throw one of these on the Jeep and see what it shows for oil pressure cold and at high rpm (when I can find one in the right size, the 14670 doesn't appear to be available anywhere yet).

FWIW, on that same metric (oil pressure post-filter when the pump is in bypass), a puro synthetic shows ~3-4 psi more than a Pureone (62 vs 58 cold, 48 vs 45 at high rpm hot). The pureone also sees more drop in those pressures over its lifespan for whatever reason.

Just speculation. If the Boss is indeed using Mann fleece filter media, then the numbers are going to look something like this.

50% @16 micron and 99%+ @38 micron, and we know filter life is 27 grams.

BigD1 ... your media area calculation looked like it used 48 pleats, yet in your original post you said the filter had 61 pleats. Does it actually have more area than your calculation indicated?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
BigD1 ... your media area calculation looked like it used 48 pleats, yet in your original post you said the filter had 61 pleats. Does it actually have more area than your calculation indicated?

It definitely had 61 pleats because that pleat count is the exact same amount of an ACDelo PF52E ecore, which I thought was interesting. The center tube diameter is rather large, so the pleats are not that deep, so the media area is not going to be a whopping amount. 48 inches was the total length of the media. All these measurements are approximate, so it's nothing set in stone, but it's pretty dang close.

I was looking at the filters I had in my stash this evening and noticed that the holes in the Mobil 1 and Royal Purple filters are virtually the same as those found in the new Purolator line. I've ran both of these filters, as have many of you on this board, and suffice to say, nobody's had any problems with either.

I think we can put the concerns regarding flow to rest. It's a non-issue in my view.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: alltrac
Looks good the only thing I don't like is the cheese grater center tube.

This would be my go to filter but I cant get by that center tube
33.gif
, just too restrictive don't like it at all.

Come on, guys, that center tube is not even CLOSE to being restrictive! The openings are small (which better supports the media, the exact opposite of E-core) but there are enough of them so that their total cross section should easily match or exceed the cross section of the threaded tube that all the oil flows through on its way back into the engine, let alone the main oil gallery. Complete NON-issue!

Finally some common sense.
Filter looks good, might try it (if is easy enough to get) when i have to change the FU on the Toyota.

Last edited:

It definitely had 61 pleats because that pleat count is the exact same amount of an ACDelo PF52E ecore, which I thought was interesting. The center tube diameter is rather large, so the pleats are not that deep, so the media area is not going to be a whopping amount. 48 inches was the total length of the media. All these measurements are approximate, so it's nothing set in stone, but it's pretty dang close.

Got ya ... though the "48" was number of pleats in your calculation.

Just one last observation.

The media is actually fused to some type of polymer round disc, and that disc snaps/press fits into the metal end caps. It's actually not a glue. I was wondering why it looked cream color, and did not have that annoying smell like a normal oil filter does, and now I know.

The polymer discs are semi-flexible except for the area at the seam that looks like extra glue, but it's not glue. This area has extra polymer by design, and it is rigid. The overall design to me looks like an Evotop that has had metal end caps put on each end, and then put in a can.

Just one last observation.

The media is actually fused to some type of polymer round disc, and that disc snaps/press fits into the metal end caps. It's actually not a glue. I was wondering why it looked cream color, and did not have that annoying smell like a normal oil filter does, and now I know.

The polymer discs are semi-flexible except for the area at the seam that looks like extra glue, but it's not glue. This area has extra polymer by design, and it is rigid. The overall design to me looks like an Evotop that has had metal end caps put on each end, and then put in a can.

Based on the photos in this thread, it sure looks like the pleats are potted into the end caps.

It may be flexible material, but I don't think the end disk is first made/formed and then stuck into the end cap. It wouldn't have a perfect mirror image of the end cap topography if it was first formed and then "snapped/pressed" into the end cap. That would be way more complicated than just potting the material and letting it dry.

Link

I have no idea how they are doing it. All I can tell you is that the metal end caps are not glued to the polymer discs, and the polymer end caps and metal end caps do match. The pictures do look like the media is potted to the metal end cap, but actually the media is potted/fused to polymer discs.

I will take a couple pictures tomorrow if the weather clears up.

It was mentioned that the base plate is very thick/heavy, and it is. All I can say is count the threads.

If you do cut one of these open with an oil filter cutter, the base gasket might have to be left on to clear the base plate because of the thickness of the base plate, and then that might not be enough depending on the distance from the cutting wheel to the oil filter cutter base.

I have no idea how they are doing it. All I can tell you is that the metal end caps are not glued to the polymer discs, and the polymer end caps and metal end caps do match. The pictures do look like the media is potted to the metal end cap, but actually the media is potted/fused to polymer discs.

My guess is that the cream colored potting material just doesn't stick very well to metal.

The polymer disc could actually be used as the only end cap especially if they added just a bit more like they did at the pleat seam. What I think they are doing is that when the polymer is hot/warm semi-fluid, then they are inserting the media in the polymer, and when it cools the media is fused to the polymer, so there is no glue being used. Not absolutely sure this is the way it's being fused together, but I don't want to rip it apart any more until I get some more pictures taken.

They have to be putting the filter together before the potting material has cured. The potting material is not adhering well to the metal end cap.

If hot wax is applied to cold metal it doesn't stick well or at all but takes the exact shape as it hardens. Or if the adhesive is applied to metal that is oily or not clean it doesn't stick. It's a funny deal, maybe a teething problem in the first few weeks of production. Or maybe they are replicating the cartridge filter but need the end caps to carry the valves on each end, like before. I was cutting on my Mercedes Mann cartridge media, I like it. The netting is about .4mm thick, the fleece media, as Mercedes calls it, is about .6mm thick. I would trust that media if the Boss has the same thing, well proven, and if Mercedes puts it on hand made engines it is good enough for my average mans Toyota.

My guess is that the cream colored potting material just doesn't stick very well to metal.

The bottom plate will not part ways with the potting material. Top one only adhered by one little piece.

But yes, clearly potting material through and through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back