Purolator Boss PBL24011 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: alltrac
Looks good the only thing I don't like is the cheese grater center tube.

This would be my go to filter but I cant get by that center tube
33.gif
, just too restrictive don't like it at all.

Come on, guys, that center tube is not even CLOSE to being restrictive! The openings are small (which better supports the media, the exact opposite of E-core) but there are enough of them so that their total cross section should easily match or exceed the cross section of the threaded tube that all the oil flows through on its way back into the engine, let alone the main oil gallery. Complete NON-issue!

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Non-bypass application? I'd like to see if the dome-end bypass valve is still the usual Purolator type, which I prefer over the Fram type.

I hope the polymer backing holds shape as well as wire backing does, a few well-used examples should shed light on that. I don't think it'll bump Royal Purple and Fram Ultra from my #1 and #2 (respectively) choices, but looks very good pending some efficiency numbers.

No bypass in the can because it is in the filter housing on my 3.1. I don't think you will see any tears, at least not on the Boss because the media is some tough stuff. I guess it's wait and see on holding the shape.

I am pretty sure this filter is targeted at the Mobil 1 oil filter. The reason I say that is because Advance had a poster with a Boss and Mobil 1 on it. I just glanced at it because I was in a hurry, so I did not read the fine print even if there was any. The Boss and Mobil 1 were right beside each other too on the shelves.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Originally Posted By: Xrs2zz
I finally tried out an Ultra for the first time and plan to use it for at least 15k miles no matter how many OCI's that turns out to be. If this thing can go the same distance, it isn't too bad of a deal being $4-$5 more than an Ultra.

$4 to $5 more than Ultra? You must have missed my first post because I bought it locally for $9.59. Best price I can get on a Fram Ultra locally is at Walmart for $8.97. Advance does not stock the Fram Ultra any longer, so I can't use a code on that one.

I was comparing non sale price, $11.99 vs $7.94.

But I guess the price of the filter may vary on size. Maybe the one that fits my car isn't $11.99?

Last edited:

33.gif

Come on, guys, that center tube is not even CLOSE to being restrictive! The openings are small (which better supports the media, the exact opposite of E-core) but there are enough of them so that their total cross section should easily match or exceed the cross section of the threaded tube that all the oil flows through on its way back into the engine, let alone the main oil gallery. Complete NON-issue!

Not going to happen not when I'm pumping 15w40 threw it on a cold Mich. morning, they'll be tons of bypass going on.

Complete issue..I'll pass...

Nice pictures, what is the date, 2016? It looks a lot like the Mann fleece filter media, maybe it is, given German efficiency of production and all that. What is not German like is the slightly off center media to the baseplate ends, just like the old Purolators. The ADBV may be a new design. Nice filter though will give the others some competition.

Fayetteville, NC 11th month, 2015, 12th day, Line B, Shift 1

33.gif

Not going to happen not when I'm pumping 15w40 threw it on a cold Mich. morning, they'll be tons of bypass going on.

Complete issue..I'll pass...

So you're saying the holes in the center tube are smaller than the 'holes' in the filter media?

Seems to me, the media itself supplies FAR FAR smaller 'holes' for the oil to pass through, than do the holes in the center tube..

..so again, non-issue.

Filter media is a restriction in it's self,unavoidable,,small center tube holes are an additional restriction vs. bigger holes.

so again.. a complete issue with me not going to happen. Moving on.

Filter looks pretty well constructed. The media will most likely hold up being polymer backed, but seeing used ones cut open will help verify that.

As far as the cheese grater center tube, it seems a few rough calculations showed there was plenty of flow area.

But on the other hand, there have been a few photos showing that the consistency of the slit opening dimension can vary. If they look to be pretty wide open slits then probably OK, but if the slits are barely opened up I would wonder if they are causing flow restriction.

Media measurements as promised. 48 x 3.8125=183

Thought you mentioned the pleat count was 61 in your original post.

Pleat count total was 61, and it does have a metal crimped seam.

^^^^

Pleat count total was 61. Media length was 48 inches times 3 13/16 width.

Thanks for the cut & post. Looks like a quality filter & that metallic paint job is nice. Someone hurry up & start running one of these new Puros. I still haven't seen them in my area.
confused.gif

This may pertain to the thread. It is a Mercedes filter by Mann I have in stash, it looks a lot like the Boss element media. The cartridge filter has the extra strings on the outside, plastic mesh on the inside like the Boss. The MB filter media is quite rigid, not soft and fluffy. Maybe due to the mesh on the inside. That is pretty good if the Purolator has the same or similar media as the MB filter.
DSCN1699_zps4fzrfkgk.jpg
DSCN1697_zpsse2qcgk6.jpg

More observations.

I know there is a lot of concern about the center tube holes and restriction. I just looked at the Hastings/Baldwin filter center tube I cut open the other day, and the center tube flow holes are basically the same as the Boss. Each one of the stamped indentations is actually double slotted that is open on each end for oil to flow in.

The diameter of the Hastings LF393(Baldiwn B35-S) center tube is 1.25 inches, and it cross references to the Boss PBL24011. The Boss center tube diameter is 1.625 inches. I counted the rows on the center of each tube, and the Hastings had 17 rows of cut out indentations, and the Boss had 21 rows. I do think the Hastings slits are just a tiny hair bigger.

@goodtimes

Yes it looks like the same media to me. That filter is the Mann Evotop design. I figure sooner or later it will end up in a can.

The Purolator can filters with the Mann label that were being made in the USA have been discontinued, or limited to stock on hand, at least the part numbers I looked up. If Purolator does start making the Mann labeled can filters again here in the USA, it's possible we might see Evotops in a can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back