Purolator and the China Syndrome ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Purolator car filters.. gas/oil.. have been USA made but they import the motorcycle oil filters I've looked at, I did not buy them.

It certainly looks taller than the x'ref'd filters. They're probably DOE (double open end).

709b_12.JPG

It's not a fuel filter, but the Purolator air filter that I have on my car now that was made in late '98 was made in South Korea. The Wix I had on before it was made in South Korea as well. I'm guessing most companies use the same supplier because it's a low volume product.

Gary, certainly is DOE.

The one that you cross referenced to looks a bit like the ZD30 engined Patrol filter

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Gary, certainly is DOE.

The one that you cross referenced to looks a bit like the ZD30 engined Patrol filter

Measure it up, mate. We'll go into the attribute search and find the filters that work.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Wow if I knew that the NAPA Gold was made in South Korea I might have waited for Advance to get a PureOne in stock...

Keep in mind I'm referring to the Integra application. The Napa Golds I have for my girlfriend's car and my mom's car are both made in the USA. They fit the Grand Am and Malibu. I forgot where the one I put in my dad's PT Cruiser was made. It was a Napa Gold too but I forget the country of origin.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Wow if I knew that the NAPA Gold was made in South Korea I might have waited for Advance to get a PureOne in stock...
Keep in mind that I'm only talking about one specific filter for my Cobalt....

If you think prices are bad check out Catapilar filter's........They love to redesign filters and such for each new engine line etc........Every time they do that you cannot find after market ones for a while at first so you are stuck eating it!They know big industry will just pay it because they have to have the truck running etc........

The trucking company my Dad works for does not change air filters when the flow idicator says to change them. They go through turbo charger's and or turbo charger seals like mad on their new vechiles. They claim that because the turbo chargers are under waranty on the new engine that they do not care if they blow because they get replaced free and they save money by not changing out the air filters when they should! I know how backwards can you get......Youwould think fuel consumption would factor in some how but what do I know?LOL

Baldwin filters any good ?

I've managed to source a couple for $35 each, which is pretty good considering Nissan's price.

Where are they made ?

edit...off the Baldwin website "In 1994, Baldwin added a manufacturing and distribution center in Mexico, followed by a manufacturing facility in Weifang, China in 1995."

Last edited:
Quality of a filter seems to be a real guessing game. They do have a good reputation. As for where something is made, it seems you need to look at each unit.

Baldwin is made by Clarkcor that also makes Hastings, I think Donaldson, and maybe some other brands. I was quite happy to find a Pronto for my truck, made in America by an American company, Hastings. I could tell by the box that it was old stock. A couple of weeks later somebody was reporting a Pronto made in China by a German company, Purolator.

While I appears that the Chinese connection may be harder to eliminate, at least with name branded manufacturing in China the quality standard should be in question.

I think we had a Baldwin person on here for a bit discussing it.

What are your Baldwin numbers?

Gary, it's BF7532.

I'm onto another lead which is an adapter to fit a delphi HDF296.

Update, the delphi adaptor doesn't accept the water sensor from the ECU. There's a glass bowl for visual reference, but only one of us would ever look there.

So Nissan filters on the way.

I'll be royally miffed if one or both of them come back made in China.

And if they do, I'll order in every other chinese one and compare.

My purolator for my mazda was made in china. Considering my fuel filter is about the size of a ph16 it shouldent need replaceing for awhile. I hope made in china doesnt mean junk. I hope there is a spec these must meet.

Name brands typically control the quality level. It's the "never heard of them before" types that would have me wondering. While I think the cost difference between one filter being produced over another is the difference between a quarter and a quarter with the dust from the minting process, one tends to feel that if there's a way to cut a corner, the Chinese propensity for finding new and creative way of doing so will show itself. It's sorta unfair, really ..but 1,000,000 times bitten ...1,000,000,000 times shy.

With the numbers that they're used to dealing with, they are probably saying, "What's the problem? We only sold them 40B defective and dangerous items. Practically 99% great stuff!"
21.gif

Originally Posted By: SidViscous
My purolator for my mazda was made in china. Considering my fuel filter is about the size of a ph16 it shouldent need replaceing for awhile. I hope made in china doesnt mean junk. I hope there is a spec these must meet.

The Chinese factories will make anything as nice or as cheap as the manufacturer requests. They're fully capable of either!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back