Honda gx200 mods for power and efficiency

I do believe most if not all GX200's come with a dished piston. You can swap in a flat-top pretty easy which should increase power a tad.

I have an older GX160 (old enough it came with a dished piston) That I would use as a snowblower engine in the winter and both a water pump and pressure washer engine in the summer. It always did whatever job I asked of it, however it had very little power in reserve.

I swapped out the dished piston with a flat-top, installed a CL-1 cam, valve springs to keep things in control, and left the timing alone. The difference in power was night and day, plenty of power in reserve, runs perfectly fine. This cam works just fine in the rpm range I use it 3400-4000 rpm.

This GX160 came with a #70 main jet and needed an 85 to be happy afterwords. Lots more power, a GX200 should respond very similar.

Since this engine is used on an air compressor you will be concerned with off-idle response when more air pressure is commanded. I can assure you even with the cam no low rpm response has been sacrificed.

Last edited:
I do believe most if not all GX200's come with a dished piston. You can swap in a flat-top pretty easy which should increase power a tad.

I have an older GX160 (old enough it came with a dished piston) That I would use as a snowblower engine in the winter and both a water pump and pressure washer engine in the summer. It always did whatever job I asked of it, however it had very little power in reserve.

I swapped out the dished piston with a flat-top, installed a CL-1 cam, valve springs to keep things in control, and left the timing alone. The difference in power was night and day, plenty of power in reserve, runs perfectly fine. This cam works just fine in the rpm range I use it 3400-4000 rpm.

This GX160 came with a #70 main jet and needed an 85 to be happy afterwords. Lots more power, a GX200 should respond very similar.

Since this engine is used on an air compressor you will be concerned with off-idle response when more air pressure is commanded. I can assure you even with the cam no low rpm response has been sacrificed.
Yeah have an old gx390 that had a dished piston. It needed to be rebuilt and when I rebuilt it I used a cheap Chinese flat top piston. It makes 125psi of cold compression at 4,400ft above sea level. That's supposed to be the top end of compression on a new engine at sea level.

Back