New To Me Car

nasty PCV valve that i replaced and the overall car. not a bad car for $3000.

IMG_7587.jpeg

IMG_7588.jpeg

IMG_7594.jpg

IMG_7595.jpg

IMG_7596.jpg

IMG_7597.jpg

Gotta agree here. The k24 engine in that year is unlikely to overstrain that transmission, and from experience with that same car, would note that trans trouble is quite often linked to the solenoid sensors. I would add a new PCV and as others have suggested, perform a trans flush and fill. I would add that the right OCI for this vehicle is 5,000 miles imho. Also not really feeling the oil cooler, as not solving a real problem and adding a few catastrophic failure points.
glad you’re not feeling the oil cooler, i wasn’t planning on installing it on your car. 200 degrees just putting around town is too hot for me. myself and my builder like transmissions around 150° whenever possible. honda saw fit that the S2000’s got an oil cooler. it not only cools the oil but helps bring it up to temperature faster. my silverado came with one from the factory.

secondly, HPL PCEO is more than capable of over 12k miles in a little K24. every fluid in the vehicle will be HPL just as my truck minus brake fluid as they don’t make that yet.

200f is not the kiss of death. They wanted the atf the same temp as the coolant, many other oems want it too.

My Tundra would sit at 195 and could spike quite high—and was not known for trans problems.

But its your car, do as you wish, I don’t see it as damaging the car by adding the cooler.

OEMS only want the fluid that hot to get as thin as possible for fuel economy. go stop and ask anyone who builds transmissions what temperature they want them at.

glad you’re not feeling the oil cooler, i wasn’t planning on installing it on your car. 200 degrees just putting around town is too hot for me. myself and my builder like transmissions around 150° whenever possible. honda saw fit that the S2000’s got an oil cooler. it not only cools the oil but helps bring it up to temperature faster. my silverado came with one from the factory.

secondly, HPL PCEO is more than capable of over 12k miles in a little K24. every fluid in the vehicle will be HPL just as my truck minus brake fluid as they don’t make that yet.
I would not stop you if you were planning on installing the oil cooler on my car. On the choice of oil, many lubricants are capable of lasting through long OCIs, but they are going to hold a lot of blow by, contamination. The fact is that you could change with Quaker State three times at the same cost .

I would not stop you if you were planning on installing the oil cooler on my car. On the choice of oil, many lubricants are capable of lasting through long OCIs, but they are going to hold a lot of blow by, contamination. The fact is that you could change with Quaker State three times at the same cost .
i could, or i could support a company that actually cares about its consumer and morals. there aren’t many lubricants capable of what HPL is.

OEMS only want the fluid that hot to get as thin as possible for fuel economy. go stop and ask anyone who builds transmissions what temperature they want them at.
OEM’s build a lot of transmissions, and some of them have a pretty long warranty. It would be interesting (and I am sure quite proprietary information) if they had data on trans life versus atf temperature, and what correlation there was. And just how much thin atf really reduced drag.

OEM’s build a lot of transmissions, and some of them have a pretty long warranty. It would be interesting (and I am sure quite proprietary information) if they had data on trans life versus atf temperature, and what correlation there was. And just how much thin atf really reduced drag.
all they need is to get them through warranty with the best fuel economy they can squeeze out of them. i don’t want it that hot and i wasn’t asking for anyone’s blessing on adding additional cooling. this is a write up, not asking for questions.

The 9G-Tronic autobox in my C43 runs around 170F-180F. I haven’t heard of any widespread failures as a result.

also, HPL EC30 must be doing something. started smoking a little bit today. i let it idle at 2k rpm for about 10 minutes and the smoke went away and the car has noticeably more low end. i’ll probably do an EPR flush then another round of HPL EC30.

Dang that is a nice car. I WISH I could find something like that up here near me. They are rusty and rotted beyond sin in NY.

Had a 2009 Accord LX with a K24Z2 and a 5-speed manual. I ran that car hard and it never cared. Drove it for 7 years and almost 175k miles.

IMG_0215.jpeg

7th and 8th gen’s pretty similar cars. Last of the true Hondas with dual wishbone suspension. They always handled well.

got an alignment this morning.
also replaced all three motor mounts and the three transmission mounts this afternoon.

6 quarts of HPL green ATF come in tomorrow. i will do a drain/fill then plumb in my external filter/cooler and pump until the fluid coming out the return hose is green. i also have a new factory honda external filter to throw on it.

i will say, after the motor mounts/cv shafts the car is much less “clunky” and “shaky” etc. it’s like a new car now.

Back