PureOne vs. Wix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
From data that I have seen, the PureONE is far and away superior to WIX, and as SuperBusa has shown over and over again (are you listening, ZGRider?), NOT restrictive. Check out his thread on this page for the evidence; and mine passing on the PureONE's beta ratios. WIX is a good filter, just not in PureONE's league. Looking over the WIX web site, I could only find that they list a rating of 25um at 100%, but say nothing specific for anything less.

So you are saying the P1 filter media is superior.

What about the construction?

I've tried both filters when I lived home. My father and I decided that the Pure One filters were better, easier to get, and if you watched the oil and filter deals cheaper. Win win in my book.

Originally Posted By: odessit
Constructions are similar in both filters.

I would disagree and say the WIX is much more sturdy and solid.

I have been dissapointed in several PureOnes I bought a while back they had paint under the gasket and across the filter inlet and one had some metal burrs on the theads.

WIX QA is much better.

Also maybe someone would prefer one type of bypass over the other.
Both filters are OK in my book and I use and buy both brands and sleep well at night.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jason2007
The PureOne equivalent to the Motorcraft FL820s has a red silicone ADBV.

Don't they all have red adbv's?

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
Constructions are similar in both filters.

I would disagree and say the WIX is much more sturdy and solid.

I have been dissapointed in several PureOnes I bought a while back they had paint under the gasket and across the filter inlet and one had some metal burrs on the theads.

WIX QA is much better.

Also maybe someone would prefer one type of bypass over the other.
Both filters are OK in my book and I use and buy both brands and sleep well at night.

The WIX has a thicker can.

As far as QA is concerned, I think Bill in Utah would disagree.........

That makes no sense. Oil pressure is measured after the oil filter. If the filter were overly restrictive you would see low oil pressure at the oil galley, not high oil pressure.

Originally Posted By: daman
IMO the new yellow Pureone has the edge with it's new media.

Does anyone know how the media changed? I keep reading it did, but the efficency of the filters did not change that much (i think from 99.2 to 99.9 when they turned the can from blue to yellow.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Originally Posted By: Jason2007
The PureOne equivalent to the Motorcraft FL820s has a red silicone ADBV.

Don't they all have red adbv's?

The Motorcraft ADBV is orange rather than red, and is of slightly different design due to the base end bypass. I think the Motorcraft ADBV is slightly better, it seems to seal more tightly.

OVERK1LL As far as QA is concerned said:
I know he cut his open to find out, the 3 bad examples of PureOne I had obvious issues without cutting them open. I cleaned them up and kept them because it was the only three the store had and I was using a $10 off coupon.
Also noone has even brought up the "glitter" issue that was all over the place when the new paint came out. Luckily PurOne changed that. I still feel that they are BOTH quality filters of the samples I cut open the WIX had the more uniform pleats and PureOnes were very un-uniform.

I am lucky to have the same filter fit both my cars and I have a box filled with both WIX and PureOne and a couple K&N - which ever I happen to grab goes on at oil change time.

I give Wix an edge on construction. Pure One an edge on filtration. PureOne has better distribution and usually is the same or cheaper than a Wix or NG. For discount, fleetfilter and that other outfit (filter1.com) used to be the best ..but Amazon appears to have figured out the discount thing on the two filter purchase. The bulk ordering outfits might not work for some.

I agree with Steve S. regular Fram filters do meet minimum specs, they just don't exceed them like many other filters. Fram filters will work just fine for manufacturer's suggested OCI.

The part mgr at a local Nissan dealership says that people that buy non OEM oil filters are the ones that end up having cam chain noises and engine trouble. I have a feeling he might be trying to sell more OEM oil filters.

Originally Posted By: Lurch

The part mgr at a local Nissan dealership says that people that buy non OEM oil filters are the ones that end up having cam chain noises and engine trouble. I have a feeling he might be trying to sell more OEM oil filters.

There are plenty of people using non-OEM oil filters on Nissans that don't have any cam chain noise upon cold starts. It's just a ploy the dealerships use to scare Nissan owners into buying the OEM filters.

My theory is if someone does have cam chain noise and engine trouble, it's probably from running the engine on low oil level and/or on dirty oil (bad maintenance). There are also known issues (covered by Nissan TSBs) about bad cam chain tensioners and sliders, and variable valve timing sprockets that cause various cam chain noise issues.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Originally Posted By: Lurch

There are plenty of people using non-OEM oil filters on Nissans that don't have any cam chain noise upon cold starts. It's just a ploy the dealerships use to scare Nissan owners into buying the OEM filters.

My theory is if someone does have cam chain noise and engine trouble, it's probably from running the engine on low oil level and/or on dirty oil (bad maintenance). There are also known issues (covered by Nissan TSBs) about bad cam chain tensioners and sliders, and variable valve timing sprockets that cause various cam chain noise issues.

My old Nissan with the KA24DE had no start-up noises, even with a... prepare for it... Fram! No problems with Champ filters such as a Valvoline or STP either.

The WIX 51040 filters that I've cut open after an OCI have been pretty impressive. The most noticeable thing was the silicone ADBV - it looked brand new still with no hardening whatsoever. To the contrary however, the other thing I noticed was a very rigid paper filter element - I don't know if it's rigid that way from the start or if the heat effects it overtime.
21.gif

Merkava - I've cut open some lower-tier Wix 1040 ProSelect NAPA filters and I noticed a hardening of the media as well. It was actually quite brittle and broke if you tried to bend the pleats. I'd still use the filters, but I prefer to use Purolators now.

ThirdeYe - That brittle crumbly filter media was disturbing yes.
Do you think the PureONE filters would have a more flexible media?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back