Pure One dissection observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Originally Posted By: sayjac
While the pic may be blown up showing detail, it is far from needing a magnifying glass to make it visible to the naked eye (at least mine). I'm satisfied that by opening the box and looking, one could tell if there was any overspray as shown in the pics and as Busa saw by simply looking. Stopped by a different AAP yesterday and opened 4 more random Pure Ones, no overspray. As said, perhaps the overspray issue has been corrected.

Yeah but I still think even with 20/15 vision which I have glancing at the filter is not going to pick up that kind of detail. I could be wrong but those specks seem like they would be so tiny to be easily overlooked if it wasn't magnified 10X.

Believe me, you can easily see any over spray if you had one with over spray to look at with your own eyes.

Well like I said earlier in this thread I recently bought a P1 and took the gasket off and saw some yellow flakes. It wasn't that easy to see them without taking the gasket off and looking very close. The flakes may have been les pronounced and smaller than the one in this thread, but there was still some overspray.

Still waiting on the response from Purolator............
20.gif

Believe me, you can easily see any over spray if you had one with over spray to look at with your own eyes.
+1 It would be clearly visible. No need for me to get a microscope to check under a gasket that would no effect on filtration or seal.

Hey folks, been out of town for a few days, but I'm just catching up on this thread and thought i'd make a few more comments about the overspray pictures I uploaded.

I noticed this overspray with my naked eye. Those pictures aren't magnified at all. They're taken, with no zoom, from my three year old point-and-shoot digital camera using the macrofocus setting. For those of you unfamiliar, 'macrofocus' is a camera setting that simply makes the lense focus on objects that are a few inches away. It's obviously an upclose shot, but hardly 10x magnification.

Also, I never did get a reply back from Purolator and, since it's been week, I do not expect a response. I don't know if anyone has ever had any luck, but I've yet to receive a reply from their 'contact the pros' email address (katrina.hull).

Also, just to reemphasize, I'm not trying to bring up doubt or over-dramatized concern about Purolator. I was just checking to see how prevelant this overspray was from other PureOne users. In any event, I simply cleaned off the residual paint and that filter is running on my vehicle right now.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: Soobs
Hey folks, been out of town for a few days, but I'm just catching up on this thread and thought i'd make a few more comments about the overspray pictures I uploaded.

I noticed this overspray with my naked eye. Those pictures aren't magnified at all. They're taken, with no zoom, from my three year old point-and-shoot digital camera using the macrofocus setting. For those of you unfamiliar, 'macrofocus' is a camera setting that simply makes the lense focus on objects that are a few inches away. It's obviously an upclose shot, but hardly 10x magnification.

I'm not a photography expert or digital cam expert, but macrofocus sounds like autofocus but more importantly when you take a high resolution (or even 800x600) picture of say a object that is about say 3 inches across, the 100ks pixels perhaps millions creates a 8x10 or even much larger image. Not saying you magnified purposely 10x or anything. I'm just saying when I look at that pic on my 20" moniter it is a good 5x bigger than an actual filter that's all. I'm sure you could easily see the overspray with that filter with a naked eye, but I've seen some where you had to really look and some specks did get to the filter inlet.

Quote:
Also, I never did get a reply back from Purolator and, since it's been week, I do not expect a response. I don't know if anyone has ever had any luck, but I've yet to receive a reply from their 'contact the pros' email address (katrina.hull).

I'm kind of surprised though, because I thought Purolator was always good about providing feedback.

Quote:
Also, just to reemphasize, I'm not trying to bring up doubt or over-dramatized concern about Purolator. I was just checking to see how prevelant this overspray was from other PureOne users. In any event, I simply cleaned off the residual paint and that filter is running on my vehicle right now.
19.gif

Yeah I'm not trying to over-dramatize concerns about Purolator either. I like Purolator and have used them a lot in the past, and was considering using them now. I'm just a little bummed about this overspray and might go with P1's sister, Bosch. Again I was not trying to suggest that you magnified the image either, just that the camera did and the flakes probably look way more obvious and worse than they might with the naked eye. I was just saying your overspray was really bad, but the ones I saw were not nearly as obvious
cheers3.gif

I had ordered about 10 filters from Amazon.com when these new puke colored filters hit the market. A few had over spray on them. A call into Purolator resolved the issue, they paid freight both ways and sent me new filters, all of which were perfect. I bought 2 for another vehicle as part of an OC special AAP was offering and both filters were perfect. There could still be some of the first batch floating around.

Yeah I'm not trying to over-dramatize concerns about Purolator either. I like Purolator and have used them a lot in the past, and was considering using them now. I'm just a little bummed about this overspray and might go with P1's sister, Bosch. Again I was not trying to suggest that you magnified the image either, just that the camera did and the flakes probably look way more obvious and worse than they might with the naked eye. I was just saying your overspray was really bad, but the ones I saw were not nearly as obvious
cheers3.gif

You're right about the picture size. In any event, today is my Friday.

CHEERS!

cheers.jpg

Originally Posted By: sayjac
+1 It would be clearly visible. No need for me to get a microscope to check under a gasket that would not effect on filtration or seal.

If the over spray inside the gasket groove (where the bottom side of the gasket seals on the can) was bad enough, it just might effect the sealing of the gasket.

I cleaned all the over spray off on mine just to be safe ... do NOT want the hassle of a leaky filter at the base seal area!

I'm sure you could easily see the overspray with that filter with a naked eye, but I've seen some where you had to really look and some specks did get to the filter inlet.

Obviously, the amount of over spray varies ... if there a significant amount, you WILL easily see it with half blind eyes.

Again I was not trying to suggest that you magnified the image either, just that the camera did and the flakes probably look way more obvious and worse than they might with the naked eye. I was just saying your overspray was really bad, but the ones I saw were not nearly as obvious
cheers3.gif

Scale the photo ... the gasket is only ~ 1/4" wide, so you can see some of those over spray flakes are relatively large in the photos posted.

When I removed the gasket in mine, there was A LOT of particles under the gasket. Would the gasket still seal on the over spay? ... probably. But I don't want to install one with that much over spray in areas it shouldn't be by design. It only took 5 min max to clean it all up ... BUT Purolator should know about this concern IMO.

My main concern wasn't the overspray or even having to look for it and clean it off if it were just paint. But because of the spray on the can has a grippy texture added to it and it's hard and flaky. Those hard flakes might somehow get down into the filter where you can't see or reach it and out of the filter outlet. My application bypasses at the filter mount, if it's possible for the bypass to open on a cold start it might wash any hard to see flakes on the ADBV right into the bypass.

Anyway it seems like they are improving on this issue.

That's the reason that they need such good beta numbers. It's so the migrating grippy grit won't show up in UOA as it sandblasts your internals.
28.gif
27.gif

crackmeup2.gif

My main concern wasn't the overspray or even having to look for it and clean it off if it were just paint. But because of the spray on the can has a grippy texture added to it and it's hard and flaky. Those hard flakes might somehow get down into the filter where you can't see or reach it and out of the filter outlet.

Anyway it seems like they are improving on this issue.

From what I understand Purolator has improved the grippy material a while ago so it doesn't flake off easily like it did when they first started using it.

When it first came out, there were reports of the bottom of the box having loose flakes all over the place. Since then Purolator has changed the grippy material and it really doesn't flake off at all now ... even if you rub it like a mad man ... so they seemed to solved that problem. The over spray issue is still a possible problem, but seems there is never any over spray that actual gets inside the filter cavity ... it's just on the gasket groove and maybe some on the base plate.

Just for ha ha's I thought I'd look under the gasket of a couple of my Pure One's and AAP Total Grip's. What I saw was a minute amount of overspray on the outer side (color, not grit)on all, but nothing that would affect the seal. These are the filters in my stash that had no visible overspray. Both of those filter have the gasket right at the OD seam.

I'm currently running a Pure One from that same stash on a 3.0L Accord, the AAP Total Grips on an 2.5L Altima and 01 Civic. All were hand tightened and none are leaking.

The AAP Total Grip's cost me ~$1.45 and the Pure Ones's ~$3.00 with rebate and AAP $10.00 coopin. Tough to beat.

The few I've used looked pretty good, but then again I checked them before I left the store with them.

I've reported this to Advance Auto Parts. Their office is looking into it. It is bad on some filters and not others. The filter for my Malibu all have so much overspray on the bottom that it almost looks yellow.

It should be noted that I will not buy another PureONE until they get that fixed unless it is for my wife's Cobalt which is a canister type.

Last edited:
Sure would be nice to hear back from the manufacture.

I just want the blue back!! The appearence of the new P1's is horrible and looks extremely cheap. You would honestly think somebody could have done a better job on this project

I have a feeling some of the stock in these stores isn't rotated well, and there is still some old filters being sold. They have a lot # on them. A call to Purolator can tell when they were made.

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
I've reported this to Advance Auto Parts. Their office is looking into it. It is bad on some filters and not others. The filter for my Malibu all have so much overspray on the bottom that it almost looks yellow.

It should be noted that I will not buy another PureONE until they get that fixed unless it is for my wife's Cobalt which is a canister type.

Now AA is going to switch to carrying Fram
frown.gif
. Thanks a lot
lol.gif

Last edited:

frown.gif
. Thanks a lot
lol.gif

They already do.

I also agree with DieselTech, I liked the blue color a lot better and not sure what made them go with this puke yellow color

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

frown.gif
. Thanks a lot
lol.gif

They already do.

I also agree with DieselTech, I liked the blue color a lot better and not sure what made them go with this puke yellow color

Do they carry some Fram? I thought I mostly saw Purolator air and oil filters there. Well maybe they'll replace all the purolators with Frams or maybe with champion labs filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back