Pure One dissection observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I sent Purolater a little feedback email with the pictures. I also asked them the difference between Purolater and Bosch. The Bosch cans feel thicker and, for my application, has the exact same specs as the PL14612 (Bosch 3300). It even costs exactly the same, $6.49. I just wonder if the filter element is the same or better.

Hopefully they actually reply. The last inquiry email I sent was never answered.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Soobs
I am putting a PureOne PL14612 on one of my cars later this week. I had never purchased one before and was a little surprised to see alot of the grippy paint stuff on and in the filter inlet area. Is this normal and okay?

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1150.JPG

I purchased a couple of PL14610 filters, and they had some yellow grippy material overspray, but not as much as on these photos.

I removed the O-ring gasket and used some carb cleaner on a clean rag and cleaned off all the overspray ... the reinstalled the O-ring.

I've mentioned this before, and I think Purolator needs to change their spraying process to keep all over spray off these areas.

Just some thoughts here on this thread.

The poster complaining about "merciless criticism", is the exact same poster that mercilessly complains, ie., whines about Purolator now being German owned by Bosch. Don't believe it, search just about any oil filter thread that mentions Purolator/Pure One and even some that don't, and you will see that as fact. Forget that the Pure One is made in the US. So, IMO there's very little credibilty regarding Purolator or Pure Ones, because of constant merciless Purolator ownership axe grinding!

As far as the textured coating, I like it because it make s installation a breeze. I have a stash with two Purolator made filters, the Advance Total Grip and the new gold Pure One, never had any issues. Early in production, there were some complaints about the coating. One BITOG (dermarpaint) poster emailed or called Puro with his complaint, was quickly sent replacements and told that the texture formula was changed.

In addition, Purolator customer service has been praised here many times for their quick and knowledgeable response on a variety of questions about the P1, including beta rates, media type and efficiency questions.

Back to the texture, like I said I've never had an issue BUT I always check inside the box no matter what brand/type filter it is. Probably a good practice, especially if you are prone to whining after the fact. That said, no one is perfect, if you're not satisfied contact Purolator. If you're not satisfied after that, then very simply, don't buy a Pure One. However, if you buy a Bosch Premium, you're still buying a Pure One made by Puro without the texture. The Bosch are more expensive around here and don't have offers on Amazon or Advance $10 coupons.

Lastly, if you can't stand your unused "cheap" inefficient tin can Pure Ones, I'll be more than happy to give them a thorough inspection and use in real conditions. Then I'll report back on the results. Just PM to send them to me. Thanks!
grin2.gif

Carry on.
35.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Back to the texture, like I said I've never had an issue BUT I always check inside the box no matter what brand/type filter it is. Probably a good practice ...

I think Purolator fixed the grippy texture material flaking off problem ... but I think they need to improve their spray process to keep the overspray off the O-ring groove and inside base area. The 4 PureONEs I bought recently all had overspray inside the O-ring groove. Would it cause any problems? ... probably not. But I removed the O-rings and clean off ALL overspray just to be sure.

When Purolator painted the PureONEs with blue paint, I don't think there was any overspray in these areas.

Just looked at the 3 PL14610 that I have in my stash. I found no overspray inside the gasket area at all. There might(minute) have been some small amount on the o ring gasket, nothing like in the pics. One trip around the o ring gasket with my thumb and that it smooth. Same for the Advance Auto Total Grip. Purchased all at AAP and checked the boxes before purchase. Unfortunately, can't do that with Amazon.

To each their own, but Pure One still represents the best bang for the buck for me.

They are and have been great filters for me, but when the workmanship of simple paint lacks it makes me wonder about the rest. As for the thickness of the can, who cares there is not a daily driver car or truck that will blow a hole in that can.

Soob, thanks for sending those pics in. I am interested in the results from them. Did you by chance attatch a link to this thread so they can see your not the only one wanting the Blue Can back?

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
They are and have been great filters for me, but when the workmanship of simple paint lacks it makes me wonder about the rest. As for the thickness of the can, who cares there is not a daily driver car or truck that will blow a hole in that can.

Soob, thanks for sending those pics in. I am interested in the results from them. Did you by chance attatch a link to this thread so they can see your not the only one wanting the Blue Can back?

I did not provide a link to this thread; however, if I happen to get a reply back I'll be sure to do that.

Also, to the 'slightly upset sounding' posts above - I have no problems using PureOne filters. That's why I'm using them. :p I just think this grippy paint is more of a gimmick to help sell more filters and if it can't be applied with a certain level of quality control then it shouldn't be applied at all. Amazingly, I think FRAM got it right when they only painted the bottom portion of their cans with grip-paint. Frams looked more like they're dipped though, vs. sprayed.

Last edited:
Many years ago, I bought an oil filter only to discover there was no gasket on it after getting it home. Because of this I formed a habit of always checking a filter over before buying it. In all the years Purolator has been painting their P1 I have never found the overspray. Lucky, regional, who knows?

I've got a PL10111 in front of me with no overspray problems, but it's the first time Ive ever really looked closely. I like the grippy paint, though the color is somewhat funky. Looks odd on my motorcycle, but on the car nobody ever sees it. The grippy stuff makes it a lot easier to take off and on.

Well I cleaned my P1 and installed it about 2 hours ago along with some PP 5-30. Honestly I don't find it any easier to install then any other filter. I actually think I could get more leverage on my MC 820s. I only hand tighten my filters.

Well I didn't mean to get between you two but I have. I have no axe to grind with Purolator. I have been a loyal Purolator consumer in the form of Motorcraft for a long time. Over 20 years of using Motorcraft (not sure how long Purolator has had the contract). I am very happy with the Purolator made Motorcrafts and they get a lot of my hard earned money.

All that said I think:

a) He has a valid point. If we saw this with ST or Fram the bashing would be extensive.

b) Purolator might want to re-think the grip coating if they can't keep it from flaking off and out of the base. Maybe the marketeers won out over the engineers or something.

c) They really are ugly
wink.gif
. Not that that makes a difference unless exposed.

The flakes on the inlet side should not hurt. They will get stopped by the filter media. If not (too small), then they shouldn't hurt the motor. Paint flakes in the center hole are another problem. I remember pure-ones with metal flakes on the threads. That is much worse than paint flakes. Like most of you, I check the filter before purchase. I don't like the boxes that come in sealed plastic wrap to prevent filter thieves from switching filters with cheaper ones.

Originally Posted By: EagleFTE

b) Purolator might want to re-think the grip coating if they can't keep it from flaking off and out of the base. Maybe the marketeers won out over the engineers or something.

I think it's been said many times that the flaking off issue of the grippy yellow coating was fixed by Purolator a while ago.

BUT ... it seems there is a QA issue with how the yellow coating is sprayed on, and there are instances of pretty bad over spray into the gasket groove and on the base plate, as the photos in this thread showed.

Purolator just needs to rethink how they spray and/or mask the filter can when they apply the coating.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

I remember pure-ones with metal flakes on the threads. That is much worse than paint flakes.

I find metal flakes on the thread of many different brand filters. Seems the process they use to form or cut the threads is not totally burr free. I always clean up the threads and any other contamination I find before installing any filter.

Originally Posted By: EagleFTE
I have no axe to grind with Purolator. I have been a loyal Purolator consumer in the form of Motorcraft for a long time. Over 20 years of using Motorcraft (not sure how long Purolator has had the contract). I am very happy with the Purolator made Motorcrafts and they get a lot of my hard earned money.
It's all good.
11.gif
I was simply pointing out (for background/motive) the previous incessant sniveling regarding Purolator's ownership.

The Puro made Motorcraft FL-820S is a decent well designed filter, especially for Ford applications. And like the P1, a great value.

Though I've not personally seen it on my P1 purchases, perhaps Purolator does need to work on the aforementioned overspray issues. I'm just not willing to throw the Pure One out with the bath water, so to speak.

Quote:
I'm just not willing to throw the Pure One out with the bath water, so to speak.

Nor should you. Any filter can have issues. Any of them. I get a chuckle when I see NEVER AGAIN ..especially when it comes to filters. Out of the millions produced, some are going to slip through the QC process without being caught. Some are going to be PASSED and just have the in line process fixed as it's discovered ... without rejecting otherwise sound filters. Like over spray.

Originally Posted By: Soobs
surprised to see alot of the grippy paint stuff on and in the filter inlet area. Is this normal and okay?

[

No its not OK, that is not cool and the last batch of P1's I bought were the same.

Quote:
For the ford application does any know if the media in the P1 is the same as the 820S?
Maybe, maybe not. But definitely less of it in the FL-820S. Read the classic Ford filter study below and decide for yourself. Lot's of good oil filter info, especially for Ford apps, but others too. http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id7.html

Quote:

Does anyone know for a fact that the Bosch filter media is the equal of the PureOne?
It's been generally accepted here that with the exception of the can they are the same. Check the thread below, scroll and read the linked filter study(300c forum) inside that thread. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...849#Post1643849

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back