Pure One dissection observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they would put the PureONE media in the 820S and call it an 820P (premium) and charge $1~ more, then that's all that I would use on my car ever again.

The flimsy ADBV on the PL24651 just is not doing as well as the Motorcraft FL-820S ADBV does. When I cut one open a couple weeks ago it felt very thin and flimsy compared to the Motorcraft valve.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
If they would put the PureONE media in the 820S and call it an 820P (premium) and charge $1~ more, then that's all that I would use on my car ever again.

The flimsy ADBV on the PL24651 just is not doing as well as the Motorcraft FL-820S ADBV does. When I cut one open a couple weeks ago it felt very thin and flimsy compared to the Motorcraft valve.

+1. Not to mention the base plate bypass that's speced for most motorcraft filters. Although the Pureone does have a nicer filter base gasket for whatever that's worth.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:

Does anyone know for a fact that the Bosch filter media is the equal of the PureOne?
It's been generally accepted here that with the exception of the can they are the same. Check the thread below, scroll and read the linked filter study(300c forum) inside that thread. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...849#Post1643849

HTH

I think the Bosch filter media is the same, but what throws me is Bosch calls their media "Filtech" I believe. Not that that would matter, but then I always here that Filtech is a subsidairy of the Japanese filter make Toyo Rokyo. I don't see how Bosch would be using their media, but then I don't see how Bosch could name its media the same name as Toyo Rokyo's. Or maybe I have it mixed up.

Filtech is Bosch's name for a media ...like Donaldson has their Duramax line ..no relation to the US sub of Toyo-Roki

You'll run across this (or you would) if you were searching for filtech. You would find another company ..a filter company ..the US sub of Toyo ..and you may find a google reference to the Bosch media.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Filtech is Bosch's name for a media ...like Donaldson has their Duramax line ..no relation to the US sub of Toyo-Roki

You'll run across this (or you would) if you were searching for filtech. You would find another company ..a filter company ..the US sub of Toyo ..and you may find a google reference to the Bosch media.

OK so I was wondering if Bosch could name its media the same as the US subsidiary of Toyo without having any relation to them, and I guess they did. This makes me more convinced that the Bosch is the same as PureOne.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
That being the case, it would be more evidence that with the exception of the can, the Bosch Premium and the Pure One are the same.

Originally Posted By: Soobs
I am putting a PureOne PL14612 on one of my cars later this week. I had never purchased one before and was a little surprised to see alot of the grippy paint stuff on and in the filter inlet area. Is this normal and okay?

IMG_1148.JPG

I doubt that itty bits of paint will kill your engine.

Originally Posted By: Bryan_Tran
I doubt that itty bits of paint will kill your engine.
I did an unscientific survey one the Pure One overspray question/isssue. I went into Advance Auto yesterday and opened ~6 different Pure One boxes for different applications.

Result, not one had the overspray or any overspray for that matter on any of the Pure One's. Unscietific yes, but perhaps the issue on some P1's (I've never seen it on my P1 stash) has now been corrected.

Many paint pigments are quite abrasive. Even in its liquid state, paint wears the equipment used to make it. When I worked for an electrical wire company, the pigmented rubber and vinyl would cut into the hardened steel dies they ran through.

That looks like the sparkly one they had trouble with the spray on.
I reject the old stock sparkly yeelow ones for the newer plain yellow ones. I haven't seen overspray on the newer ones.

Originally Posted By: Soobs
IMG_1150.JPG

If it don't glitter, I get 'er.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
I haven't seen overspray on the newer ones.

I have, but not as bad as the ones in the photos shown in this thread. Most of the over spray was inside the gasket groove on mine.

one thing I noticed about the pic of the P1 with overspray is that it is blown up maybe 5-10X. Even with 20/20 vision you would need a magnifying glass to see that kind of detail on an actual filter. I looked really close at a P1 I recently bought and took the gasket off and I could see some yellow particles in the baseplate area. I really like the P1 but this grippy texture overspray is bugging me.

Last edited:
While the pic may be blown up showing detail, it is far from needing a magnifying glass to make it visible to the naked eye (at least mine). I'm satisfied that by opening the box and looking, one could tell if there was any overspray as shown in the pics and as Busa saw by simply looking. Stopped by a different AAP yesterday and opened 4 more random Pure Ones, no overspray. As said, perhaps the overspray issue has been corrected.

While the pic may be blown up showing detail, it is far from needing a magnifying glass to make it visible to the naked eye (at least mine). I'm satisfied that by opening the box and looking, one could tell if there was any overspray as shown in the pics and as Busa saw by simply looking. Stopped by a different AAP yesterday and opened 4 more random Pure Ones, no overspray. As said, perhaps the overspray issue has been corrected.

Yeah but I still think even with 20/15 vision which I have glancing at the filter is not going to pick up that kind of detail. I could be wrong but those specks seem like they would be so tiny to be easily overlooked if it wasn't magnified 10X. The question is are you taking the gasket off and taking a close look? If so then I'm sure you could see them, but I feel a little funny about going to a store and taking gaskets off filter and peering at the base lol. It's something aperson could do, but not something a person should have to do.

I'm satisfied that I can see any overspray of the nature shown in the pics. No reason (at least not for me) to look under the gasket if it isn't to the inside of the gasket area as in the pics.

Only reason Busa took the gasket off was because the overspray was clearly visible inside the gasket area toward return opening. And, IIRC he got his from Amazon and he couldn't check in the box beforehand. After opening 10 boxes recently in two different stores, no overspray. Fwiw, not all the P1 apps have he gasket on the outer edge next to the seam. Some larger apps have a space between the OD seam and the gasket. None of those had overspray outside or inside the gasket area.

Like Gary Allan said (paraphrase) every company has it's QC/QA issues from time to time. I'm satified with my P1 stash and what I've seen in stores lately to say the overspray is not SOP.

That said, lots of oil filter choices out there and everyone should use what they are comfortable with.

Originally Posted By: EagleFTE
Well I didn't mean to get between you two but I have. I have no axe to grind with Purolator. I have been a loyal Purolator consumer in the form of Motorcraft for a long time. Over 20 years of using Motorcraft (not sure how long Purolator has had the contract). I am very happy with the Purolator made Motorcrafts and they get a lot of my hard earned money.

All that said I think:

a) He has a valid point. If we saw this with ST or Fram the bashing would be extensive.

b) Purolator might want to re-think the grip coating if they can't keep it from flaking off and out of the base. Maybe the marketeers won out over the engineers or something.

c) They really are ugly
wink.gif
. Not that that makes a difference unless exposed.

I agree, if there was a SuperTech or Fram filter this thread would be 4 times as long

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

Yeah but I still think even with 20/15 vision which I have glancing at the filter is not going to pick up that kind of detail. I could be wrong but those specks seem like they would be so tiny to be easily overlooked if it wasn't magnified 10X.

Believe me, you can easily see any over spray if you had one with over spray to look at with your own eyes.

Only reason Busa took the gasket off was because the overspray was clearly visible inside the gasket area toward return opening. And, IIRC he got his from Amazon and he couldn't check in the box beforehand.

That's correct ... I did get them from Amazon.com, so had to live with what I got. I removed the gasket and cleaned all the over spray off carefully with some carb cleaner on a rag and on Q-tips. Worked well - cut the over spray easily.

After opening 10 boxes recently in two different stores, no overspray. Fwiw, not all the P1 apps have he gasket on the outer edge next to the seam. Some larger apps have a space between the OD seam and the gasket. None of those had overspray outside or inside the gasket area.

The PureOnes I got indeed had the gasket groove very close to the outer edge of the can, which definitely makes it more susceptible to any over spray. If your inspection of PureOnes on the shelves don't show any over spray, then maybe the issue has indeed been fixed, or there was a batch that came out with over spray.

If I get one with over spray, then I'll just clean it up before installing. But it would be nice if Purolator knew that customers notice QA issues like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back