Pure One dissection observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut apart the filter on my 2000 Concorde after about 4500 miles on Schaeffer 7000. I was impressed with some aspects but not others.

The can isn't real thick. Since I poke the bottom of the can to allow it drain fully I can easily compare can thickness with other filters. Mercruiser filters are much thicker.

The red anti drainback valve looks very good. I thought the sealing ring was the same material, but it is black and coated red. There was a surprising amount of red coating it the filter media. They should lose the red coating on the seal since some of it ends up in the filter.

The filter media was attached well to the end caps, but cutting the media away from the caps resulted in some of the adhesive coming off the caps in chunks. It is brittle and does't adhere as tight as it could.

The filter media had a couple of wide pleat gaps.

The relief valve looks good.

As far as what I learned about my engine there was little metal but some carbon. I doubt the carbon is very abrasive, but there was enough of it that I wouldn't consider using the same filter for two OCI's.

Hard to describe how much carbon was there, but I will call it similar to a 1/2-1" long piece of cassete tape (by volume) in each pleat. That is the carbon that is visible, not hidden in the filter media.

The red coating you found in/on the filtering media, was it spotty, widespread, throughout? Are you sure it isn't part of the natural color of the media? Any pics?

Last edited:
I didn't take any photos. The red particles were very small and just a few per pleat. You could tell they were from the sealing ring since it was turning black from the red coating falling off.

I suggest you send Purolator your findings. At the worst, maybe you'll get an answer and a free filter. As far as can thickness goes - so what? As long as the canister stands up to your engine's oil pressure and the seal doesn't leak, thickness is a mute point.

Last edited:
My biggest complaint about the PureONE is that the ADBV is very flimsy. It doesn't seal as well as the Motorcraft ADBV does. If they'd make it thicker, it would significantly improve the filter for my use.

I am putting a PureOne PL14612 on one of my cars later this week. I had never purchased one before and was a little surprised to see alot of the grippy paint stuff on and in the filter inlet area. Is this normal and okay?

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1150.JPG

I really like the pureones, but the change to the grippy stuff kinda sucks. I have been finding that it flakes off very easily not to mention it's pretty hard to put something that ugly on my truck.

I just recently bought a couple PureOnes for my cars and looked at a few filters before I found some that didnt have any grippy stuff on the inside like your pics show. Not sure why some do and others dont. I miss the old metallic blue filters they matched my car perfect other than the fact it isnt visible at all from the engine bay.

I miss the old blue " Ones " myself. I just looked at my filters and they have grip paint on the inside also. I'm not sure what it will hurt but I may start thinking WIX before long

Originally Posted By: SubyRoo
I just recently bought a couple PureOnes for my cars and looked at a few filters before I found some that didnt have any grippy stuff on the inside like your pics show. Not sure why some do and others dont. I miss the old metallic blue filters they matched my car perfect other than the fact it isnt visible at all from the engine bay.

I suppose I may just get a Bosch next time. The Bosch 3300 is supposedly the exact same filter as the PL14612 and no flakey grip paint; however, I've never cut them open. I kind of wonder if there's a difference in filter element material.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
I miss the old blue " Ones " myself. I just looked at my filters and they have grip paint on the inside also. I'm not sure what it will hurt but I may start thinking WIX before long

It would have made more sense for them to just add a touch of the grippy paint on the bottom, like Fram, instead of paint the whole can. Oh well. I think I'll drop Purolater a feedback email with the pictures.

Originally Posted By: Soobs
Originally Posted By: DieselTech

It would have made more sense for them to just add a touch of the grippy paint on the bottom, like Fram, instead of paint the whole can. Oh well. I think I'll drop Purolater a feedback email with the pictures.

I would like to know what they have to say about the spatter onto the inside ot the can too.

I think some pics to them is a great idea. if this stuff flakes off in m hand i can see what some PP will do. I never really paid any attention toi the paint on the inside until you said something. I would also like to know if the bosch is the exact same filter with a black can??

The only reason I ever thought to look for the stuff on the inside was after reading a post where someone was talking about it. I have checked every time since. Ive only found a couple that had the overspray needless to say I put those back just in case.

Originally Posted By: labman
The criticism of a cheap filter here with junk in it would be merciless.

You are saying if there was a picture of a Super Tech filter with this stuff on the base plate it would be deemed a worthless piece of junk? I agree but the Pure One gets away with it because they can do no wrong. I will be surprised of Purolator stays with the grippy stuff. It would turn me away if I used them. I hand tighten with a clean hand and never had a problem with painted cans.

Originally Posted By: labman
The criticism of a cheap filter here with junk in it would be merciless.

I know what you mean. You may recall I recently dissected a new PureOne and was not terribly impressed with the construction of it. I've seen worse... I've seen better. "Average" was my comment. The level of performance claimed is what attracts me to this filter but usually the level of performance is matched by a generally higher degree of workmanship and features (the Amsoil is an example). Perhaps the PureOne is the Shelby Cobra of the filter world... not so hot in the workmanship department, but wicked fast! Nothing I can see is bad enough to make me return the 12 PureOnes (well, eleven since I bought one to cut up) I bought on a closeout (at a KMart that is closing) but I can't help having nagging doubts about the performance claims.

I've noticed when removing an old pureone from from my engine, alot of the "grippy stuff" remains on the oil side of the filter. I also miss the metallic blue color as it matched my ranger.

These things have been pointed out by others around here as well. The construction of the P1 is not up to par with many other quality filters. Their filtration is great, of course. I miss the blue cans.

Until P1 fixes their flaws, I'll stick with Napa Gold/Wix. Bosch is looking better as an alternative as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back