purchasing new firearms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

I'm interested in a revolver for home defense. I've recently gone to the local shop and was thrown back quite a bit by the prices I saw. I don't think I can justify ~$400+ for a handgun to myself, much less the wife.

My next idea was to check a few local pawn shops. No luck, none of the random few around me, sold guns.

Anyone have any suggestions here? Do folks sell guns at gun shows? How are your experiences at these places?

If I come into some cash one of these days (possibly tax time), I'd probably just go back to the gun shop and pick up the cheapest one: EAA's Windicator for ~$280.

Oh, I just wanna say "pass this one up dkryan and don't respond!"

However.......

You are interested in a revolver for home defense and you want to go low budget?????????? Sir, what is your life worth? What is your wife's life worth (carefully consider your answer. She may be lurking).

I have a "low budget" parachute I'll sell you along with one of my revolvers. Try out that canopy. If it's not all that it should be, well, your wife will inherit the revolver I sold to you.

Seriously, I understand that we have to live within our means (what a novel idea!). But you can take your time and search extensively for a reasonably priced Smith & Wesson or Ruger revolver.

Firearm prices are higher nowadays due to several things, not the least of which is the high demand from those desiring to own a firearm. You should still be able to find a reasonably priced ($325-$475) revolver with a little work.

And you should plan on investing a few dollars to learn how to adequately (i.e., forget what you've seen on TV or Netflix) and SAFELY handle your revolver. If you think the price of a revolver is high, wait until you check out the price of quality ammunition.

You gotta shop around,not jump at the cheapest price ,man you could get stuck with some really [censored] weapons.If nothing else, between now and later purchase date, read, read ,then read somemore on handguns from magazines (paper) to websites, inform youself with anything you can get your hands on.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Buying a pistol in Chicago?? I didn't think that was possible..

Yeah, that's right! Unless you're a street thug from the Southside of Chi-town (or Blago), you have no right to own a firearm in Chicago.

As always, the Pole-lease will be along at some point to take a report of the incident. And ensure your FOID card is valid.

Originally Posted By: brueggma

I'm outside the city limits. Just North of Joliet.

Joliet?

As in Jake and Elwood?!!!!!!!!!

Looking at Gun Genie where you buy a firearm from them, post a deposit then they ship it to a Gun Dealer close to you where you fill out the paperwork a good value firearm like the Model 65 Taurus is $328 plus about another $40 in taxes and fees for a total for $368.

Its a good gun that allows .38sp or .357 to be chambered with a 4 inch barrel.

Used guns don't get discounted too much since they are still a good weapon. They are not like cars where they loose 20% right off the bat and continue to loose value as time goes by.

I'm not aware of the gun shows and laws in your area. Here you can list online then go purchase from a private party and that has pretty well killed off the Pawn shops since you'll get more in a private sale then what the Pawn would have given you.

Don't know anything about EAA's Windicator.

Take care, bill

Used police trade ins were cheap back in the 1990s. If you can find one get a Smith or Colt .38 (or .357) with a 4" barrel. If you want to go 12ga, there are also a lot of surplus pump shotguns traded in by the police and sheriff departments.

There is a good reason cops use only name brands for their guns. Can't go wrong with a Smith, Glock, Colt, Beretta or Ruger.

For home defense on a budget i'd recommend a used 870 shotgun in 20ga or 12ga. You should be able to find one pretty cheap and there are a lot of advantages with a shotgun for home defense.
Here are a few examples:
Less wall penatration
devastating stopping power
ease of use
Cheap practice

Don't get me wrong pistols are nice but in my opinion should only be used to get to your long gun.
Stay safe and read up on the laws in your area.
Greg

Get yourself a semiauto russian copy handgun. You can buy a quality copy of a Tokarev or a Makarov for only $200 unissued. Cheap ammo, cheap weapon, great results. Wouldnt recommend a shotgun. If you actually have to use it you can mess up your house royal.

Everyone,

Thank you for all the suggestions. I actually do already have an Rem 870, but don't you think it's a little large for indoor use?

I'm afraid that I'd have problems maneuvering around corners and door ways. I guess I could have a gun smith cut off the butt of the gun, and just make it a pistol grip..

Again thank you.

This is where training and practice comes in. I have a few "riot" type shotguns that we have for defense along with handguns and AR15 type of weapons.

Practice clearing and going through the house when you are alone. Have the wife do the same. Get everyone who needs to use the weapons do so and take the weapon out and SHOOT it with the defense ammo you will be loading it with.

Best thing is going through scenarios so everyone knows what to do. IE get the kids in the master bedroom, turn on the hall lights and call 911 with the cell phone (common that the bad guys cut land line phones) and stay put. If the bedroom door opens by the bad guy, close it with the weapon. This is what my wife and family know and practice doing.

Rem870 is an excellent weapon. What length barrel on it? Load it with large shot (don't use 7-8 shot) and learn to aim it.

I'd not want to have a shotgun for my only defense weapon. Different scenarios require different weapons. But a shotgun is pretty good with 00buck and then slugs. A slug will take care of most things.

Take care and be safe!

Bill

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Get yourself a semiauto russian copy handgun. You can buy a quality copy of a Tokarev or a Makarov for only $200 unissued. Cheap ammo, cheap weapon, great results. Wouldnt recommend a shotgun. If you actually have to use it you can mess up your house royal.

Have to comment. Not very sound advice.
31.gif
Most of these weapons are jam-a-matics and have poor performance.

IF I or my family have to defend themselves in the house, the LAST thing I'm worried about is "messing up your house royal".
smirk2.gif
Drywall and carpet are cheap. Someone comes into your house the only way they are going to leave is in a body bag. Have NO problems with that result since THEY made the choice.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Have to comment. Not very sound advice.
31.gif
Most of these weapons are jam-a-matics and have poor performance.

IF I or my family have to defend themselves in the house, the LAST thing I'm worried about is "messing up your house royal".
smirk2.gif
Drywall and carpet are cheap. Someone comes into your house the only way they are going to leave is in a body bag. Have NO problems with that result since THEY made the choice.

Bill

Jam-o-Matics?! Poor performance!!??!?! Bewildered on that comment. Russian handguns are great performers with excellent reliability. Im assuming you have experience with Russian handguns to make that comment at least?

Jam-o-Matics?! Poor performance!!??!?! Bewildered on that comment. Russian handguns are great performers with excellent reliability. Im assuming you have experience with Russian handguns to make that comment at least?

You assume correct. I've had friends and co-workers who have spent quite a bit of time to get them to work and most still don't function reliability 100% of the time.

Also nice to skip over my comment on the shotguns.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

You assume correct. I've had friends and co-workers who have spent quite a bit of time to get them to work and most still don't function reliability 100% of the time.

Also nice to skip over my comment on the shotguns.

Bill

Ya Im not a fan of shotguns. Well maybe your friends are just unlucky. Russian service pistols as well as all of their weapons are renowned for their durability. I have several Russian handguns and rifles and have had had 0 problems. Or its just lucky me. Either way Russia=Rockin Guns

+1. Maks are the AK-47 of pistols for their reliability. The only drawback IMO are the small fixed sights and dodgy adjustable rear sights that were installed on many to get by the import restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back