Purchased Ford's Extended Service Protection for the 2019 F350 6.7L diesel

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Did something I normally would not do. Purchased Ford's extended vehicle warranty for my 2019 F350 dually diesel with 56k miles.

If this was a gas truck, I would not have purchased the warranty. I am moving to an undetermined location, and I just wanted peace of mind in case something happened mechanically during the move. I read it is not unusual to have a $6k-$15k USD repair on these trucks. I also paid extra for the "lights and key optional coverage".

Cost was about $4200 through Lombard Ford. Most of the Ford dealers would not write the warranty because of the age of the truck, and the bumper-to-bumper warranty expired. I purchased the premium care, the top of the line. This warranty provides coverage until 2030 or 125k miles. The truck sits unless it is being used for towing, or an occasional drive just to keep the truck "exercised".

Although the truck's drivetrain factory warranty was good until SEP 2024, the bumper-to-bumper warranty expired before I purchased the truck. Lombard Ford sent out an inspector, at my expense, to make sure the truck had zero issues. The cost for the inspector was an additional $125 USD.

Picture of the truck is when I waiting for the vehicle inspector to take a look. He took extensive pictures, did an OBD scan, and a five mile test drive.
PXL_20240329_182818303 small.jpg

Last edited:
Might be worth the cost, especially being it is a diesel. Ford warranty will be much better than aftermarket.

When I was working at Deere, they offered an extended warranty, way back when. Maybe 5 year warranty, I forget.
We would repair every thing under warranty, right down to the light bulbs. That was a heck of a deal at the time.
Just drop it off and we will repair it, no hassles. Pain for the warranty writers, but that was on us.

Wait until Ford denies a $5000 injection pump or injectors replacement when they claim water in the fuel caused the damage.

From one of many on the Ford forums,

Ford warranty denial issue, I could use some help & suggestions. Login/Join
Sigolicious
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted August 16, 2020 09:44 AM
On 7-20-20 my 2016 F350 broke down. I was driving and got a dash warning of reduced engine speed and reduced engine power. Normally it would go into limp mode, instead it completely shut down and would not restart. Had it towed to dealer and thats when the trouble started.

Cause of break down is low fuel pressure in common rails (fuel rails). This is a 6.7 Diesel truck

First message day after tow from dealer said there was DEF in the fuel. Then two days later the service manager took over the calls and said, no there was not DEF in the fuel they are going to take samples and let them sit for the weekend and see what is in the fuel. Went into dealer on 7-28-20 and service manager advised me the fuel pump had failed (metal shavings found in fuel samples) and caused the system contamination and they would be fixing it under warranty.

Received a follow up call early am on 7-31-20 from service manager that Ford was denying the warranty and I needed to call ford customer service to escalate the issue. Call Ford CS and open a case. Same day i receive a reply from ford that CS is back their warranty dept and are in fact denying the warranty due to "water contamination" as determined by looking at a picture the dealer sent that showed "rust" on the PCV pump which indicated there had at some point been water in the fuel system. Thus contamination, warranty denied.

Escalate to CS manager and receive call on 8-3-20 that CS manager agrees with warranty department, warranty denied.

8-4-20, dealer escalates issue with their warranty people and are again denied warranty.

The entire time the dealer is pushing to do the warranty saying that ford warranty dept is wrong, but of course, if ford wont warranty, the dealer can't get paid.

So I have Geico mechanical breakdown coverage, so I make a claim with them. This is separate mechanical insurance you can get when purchasing a mew vehicle, basically an extended warranty. Claim with them is going well except if they determine that ford should in fact warranty the issue, they wont cover. Ford wont send Geico their determination, wont send a denial of warranty letter of basically help resolve with Geico at all. Geico is sending an inspector/adjuster out on monday to look at vehicle.

Summery, Ford dealer is trying to get warranty work, Ford corporate warranty says denied based on looking at a picture. Attempting to use extended warranty through Geico, but may not work if it is in fact a Ford warranty item.

And suggestions? If this isn't covered by anyone it's going to be a $10,500.00 repair. FML and **** Ford.

Thank boys n girls.

Wait until Ford denies a $5000 injection pump or injectors replacement when they claim water in the fuel caused the damage.

From one of many on the Ford forums,

Ford warranty denial issue, I could use some help & suggestions.Login/Join
Sigolicious
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted August 16, 2020 09:44 AM
On 7-20-20 my 2016 F350 broke down. I was driving and got a dash warning of reduced engine speed and reduced engine power. Normally it would go into limp mode, instead it completely shut down and would not restart. Had it towed to dealer and thats when the trouble started.

Cause of break down is low fuel pressure in common rails (fuel rails). This is a 6.7 Diesel truck

First message day after tow from dealer said there was DEF in the fuel. Then two days later the service manager took over the calls and said, no there was not DEF in the fuel they are going to take samples and let them sit for the weekend and see what is in the fuel. Went into dealer on 7-28-20 and service manager advised me the fuel pump had failed (metal shavings found in fuel samples) and caused the system contamination and they would be fixing it under warranty.

Received a follow up call early am on 7-31-20 from service manager that Ford was denying the warranty and I needed to call ford customer service to escalate the issue. Call Ford CS and open a case. Same day i receive a reply from ford that CS is back their warranty dept and are in fact denying the warranty due to "water contamination" as determined by looking at a picture the dealer sent that showed "rust" on the PCV pump which indicated there had at some point been water in the fuel system. Thus contamination, warranty denied.

Escalate to CS manager and receive call on 8-3-20 that CS manager agrees with warranty department, warranty denied.

8-4-20, dealer escalates issue with their warranty people and are again denied warranty.

The entire time the dealer is pushing to do the warranty saying that ford warranty dept is wrong, but of course, if ford wont warranty, the dealer can't get paid.

So I have Geico mechanical breakdown coverage, so I make a claim with them. This is separate mechanical insurance you can get when purchasing a mew vehicle, basically an extended warranty. Claim with them is going well except if they determine that ford should in fact warranty the issue, they wont cover. Ford wont send Geico their determination, wont send a denial of warranty letter of basically help resolve with Geico at all. Geico is sending an inspector/adjuster out on monday to look at vehicle.

Summery, Ford dealer is trying to get warranty work, Ford corporate warranty says denied based on looking at a picture. Attempting to use extended warranty through Geico, but may not work if it is in fact a Ford warranty item.

And suggestions? If this isn't covered by anyone it's going to be a $10,500.00 repair. FML and **** Ford.

Thank boys n girls.
Two comments in that. (1)I change the fuel filter, water separator, and add diesel lube, so I am proactive to mitigate some of the risk. (2) water in the fuel and the damage caused may be covered by vehicle insurance under comprehensive.

Of note, fuel pump failure is reported to be about a $12k USD repair on this truck.

They didn’t care it’s a salvage truck built with parts from the 4 corners of CONUS?🤣
The truck is not a salvage truck, it has a clean title, just branded by Carfax because the insurance company didn't check the odometer when it went to auction.

All the more reason for them to deny a claim. You can do all the preventative maintenance, but they will always try to get out of doing an expensive repair.
I get that. Thought the risk was prudent. Time will tell. This truck also has a ton of electronics, LED headlights, etc- all of which can be pricey to repair/ replace.

I hope they are more honest than Caterpillar who doesn't honor their extended warranty. Will never have anything Caterpillar again. Highly unrecommended.

• Sad
Reactions: GON
I hope they are more honest than Caterpillar who doesn't honor their extended warranty. Will never have anything Caterpillar again. Highly unrecommended.
The track record is not exemplary-lets see- I can think of the 6.0 and Ford Festiva transmissions issues .

It sucks what has come of diesels with all these odd emissions controls. I get why they exist, but it sure doesn't make sense to me that we have to use other products to make them "clean". Somehow run them rich and capture the soot is better than saving fuel.

Did something I normally would not do. Purchased Ford's extended vehicle warranty for my 2019 F350 dually diesel with 56k miles.

If this was a gas truck, I would not have purchased the warranty. I am moving to an undetermined location, and I just wanted peace of mind in case something happened mechanically during the move. I read it is not unusual to have a $6k-$15k USD repair on these trucks. I also paid extra for the "lights and key optional coverage".

Cost was about $4200 through Lombard Ford. Most of the Ford dealers would not write the warranty because of the age of the truck, and the bumper-to-bumper warranty expired. I purchased the premium care, the top of the line. This warranty provides coverage until 2030 or 125k miles. The truck sits unless it is being used for towing, or an occasional drive just to keep the truck "exercised".

Although the truck's drivetrain factory warranty was good until SEP 2024, the bumper-to-bumper warranty expired before I purchased the truck. Lombard Ford sent out an inspector, at my expense, to make sure the truck had zero issues. The cost for the inspector was an additional $125 USD.

Picture of the truck is when I waiting for the vehicle inspector to take a look. He took extensive pictures, did an OBD scan, and a five mile test drive.
View attachment 212059
There aren’t many trucks that can match the overall work capacity of an F350, so nice choice there. If an F350 can’t handle it, your only other option short of a semi is an F450 but those cost a mint.

Awesome truck!

You are thinking about the future and hedging a bet, no fault at all in doing that and I will likely do something similar when I also reach a certain (not yet there) health milestones where I can no longer DIY.

Back