PUP--Why did opinions change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When PPPP and PUP came out, the NOACK losses given in the SOPUS data sheets for the 5W30 grade were 10% and 11%, respectively...good, but not extraordinary. I think an independent source at the time came back with 9% and 10% for those two.
As mentioned above, it was the old Pennzoil Ultra (no Platinum) that had the killer NOACK loss (at least for 5W30).

PPPP in the dexos1 grades has been reformulated since then for dexos1 Gen 2 and may have a different NOACK loss than before, PUP is not being advertised as Gen 2 compliant but I have no idea if it may have also changed.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Many posters here are fickle, or inconsistent about which oil to use. Brand names come and brand names go. Human nature.

Not me and you. You stick to M1 and I stick to RP.
10.gif

Originally Posted By: lukejo
It seems like it was about 3 years ago when BITOG was all abuzz for PUP.
The UOA's were returning incredible numbers (and still do).
I've noticed most of the real cheerleading has subsided since then. That surprises me somewhat, especially at times like this when online supply is plentiful at ~ $24/5qt plus $10 MIR.
For those that remember those days on here,
is it because:
--the extremely low NOACK was revised and is now higher? Were there other formula changes that we know of?
--or, most are finding PP to have equal results? BTW, do we know the difference...PUP just have more boron?
--or, because PUP is still not touted as extended drain and new formulas like M1 EP have hit the market?
--or, people got weary of the inconsistent availability?
I'm interested in hearing opinions.

I think you nailed it....it was a combination of all those things combined with poor marketing by SOPUS.....Platinum vs. Platinum Ultra...too close in both name and performance.

I tried Ultra when it came out, that was two Corvettes ago, in my old 98 (which I traded in 2013) I was happy with the results with it, but I stopped using it because they stopped carrying it at Walmart and Canadian Tire in Canada (and I wasn't travelling to the US like I often do now).

Coincidentally, I just bought a jug of Ultra Platinum 5w20 last week from Canadian Tire, to use in my Civic on the next interval. It seems to be very readily available here now. I'm hoping it holds it's viscosity better than M1 0w20, which has always thinned out a lot, even on the reports with zero fuel dilution.

I still use it.

IDK about the States, but it's been readily available in Ontario in the last 2-3 years. If you follow the deals, you can get PUP for $16-18 USD (20-22 CDN $ after MIR).

The UOA's were returning incredible numbers (and still do).
I've noticed most of the real cheerleading has subsided since then. That surprises me somewhat, especially at times like this when online supply is plentiful at ~ $24/5qt plus $10 MIR.
For those that remember those days on here,
is it because:
--the extremely low NOACK was revised and is now higher? Were there other formula changes that we know of?
--or, most are finding PP to have equal results? BTW, do we know the difference...PUP just have more boron?
--or, because PUP is still not touted as extended drain and new formulas like M1 EP have hit the market?

Don't confuse yourself with discontinued Pennzoil Ultra and current Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

Why use PUP when you can buy Royal Purple or Valvoline which are sold by American companies for the same price or cheaper and it will ALWAYS be available?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
There are better oils out there, and the profits don't get to stay here in America. SO I go for a superior product.

Your M1 aint even synthetic, big horn.

My wife's Dutch on her Dad's side, so I have to like at least QuakerState
smile.gif
Which I do.

I will say I HATED 0w20 PP in the Subaru - and the car drank it like water.

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: tig1
Many posters here are fickle, or inconsistent about which oil to use. Brand names come and brand names go. Human nature.

Not me and you. You stick to M1 and I stick to RP.
10.gif

We know what works well and we ain't changing because of the latest fad!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: incognito_2u
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake

....Tired of bums & beggars with gas cans wanting money for gas or money for food (read drugs and booze). Tired of the dirty stores. Tired of the slack jawed unhappy employees who could care less whether you are happy or not. Tired of worrying that some pathetic customer returned the oil jugs full of water. Tired of the unwashed and diseased customers who sneeze on you and leave their soiled tissues in the cart....

Describes my last visit to the Walmart to a "T" !!!

I have heard that a lot about NY. Sorry.

I've worked in retail for a few years now and those with no brand loyalty tend to save the most money. Most, if not all synthetics are top notch these days. The details matter for users here who have specific needs relating to viscosity and add packs to name a few. If you're just using the car to get from a to b, pick any oil up. It's going to be fine.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I think in 2015 or 2016 they had a bad shortage. Maybe they couldn't keep up with demand or something.

Which is when a lot of people switched to a comparable oil and found that it worked just as well.

Yep

Despite the weak additive pack (based on VOAs), Magnatec is the new trend in BITOG, which's been available in Europe for decades.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

No the real issue is that most people don't plan any further ahead than the end of their nose.

I have 4 or 5 Jugs of PUP. In fact I just picked up two of those Jugs in December for $19.98 and I got the $10 rebate per Jug. You see the fact is it isn't Pennzoil's problem that peoples emergency oil buying is based on their oil monitor told the last week their oil life was 5%.

This really isn't a whole lot different than the people who have a realization of a retirement emergency when they get to be 60 something years old. You only need to change oil once or twice a year now not every 90 days or 3000 miles. They call it planning get in the habit your life will go a lot smoother.

I'm with you, I currently have about a 1.5 year supply. I'll be holding off buying for about another 6 months and buy another 1 year supply, if the price is right and it coincides with a rebate. I have more or less been buying it that way, and I'm never left scrambling for it. It was getting a little annoying waiting for WMT to get it back in stock online, after selling out of it in a few hours. But my system for buying it [if you want to call it that] seems to work.

The dealer stocks SRT 0W-40 PUP for my Scat Pack for $7 per quart.

Unless I missed some recent change, Pennzoil Plat SRT 0w-40 is not a true Ultra. It has few mfg approvals..and certainly nothing European. Now the current PP 0w-40 Euro does have a boat load of certs...just not LL-01.

Why would anyone worry about unobtainium when one can buy very good oils every day for reasonable prices?
The early Ultra formulations appeared to offer very good physical characteristics but they were always hit and miss on the shelf.
I got some jugs from Walmart on clearance about five years ago that ended up being FAR, but regular availability was always spotty.
If I consider M1 a good choice, which I do, then I can buy it every day with no hunting and no dodgy online deals.
If Ultra had ever been widely and consistently available and had SOPUS ever promoted it as the longer drain oil that it is, it might now be held in the same esteem that many reserve for M1 EP.
It wasn't and it isn't.
SOPUS marketing has long been a mystery to me. Good quality oils that have never been marketed in an adult fashion and that have suffered from very inconsistent marketing efforts to include packaging.
Formula Shell at least still comes in white containers, but the Pennzoil and Quaker State premium oils have had their bottle colors vary all over the map.
Don't see that with M1, nor does SOPUS have a website for either QS or Pennz of the quality XOM has for M1.
SOPUS makes good products but really needs to get their amateur hour marketing efforts on point.
For one, a desirable premium product with a following like Ultra should readily available.
If XOM can do this, then SOPUS can as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back