Providing materials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
I usually get my oil changes done through whatever shops are willing to work on my cars and usually run oil change deals for $15-$20
Most don't carry the filters or oil for my cars or their prices are too high.
So I provide the materials (oil and filter) and pay the full price($20) just for labor.
Now am I entitled to the oil and filter the shop would normally provide for a normal car?
I can use the filters and oil on other compatible cars at least
Sounds weird, but how would I go about asking for it? Should I bring an empty jug for them to fill? Would they do it?

Why would you furnish the materials then pay full price? You have allowed them to take advantage of you.Now you want oil and a filter?You should of hashed out the details before they even worked on your car.They are just going to try to keep screwing you now.

Originally Posted By: gtmaster303

If you're going to do this, why wouldn't you just take the oil and filter you bought and change it yourself in the first place?

Yeah, I would attempt to work out something with them to have them either 1) reduce the cost to you by the amount they charge for the oil and filters on "regular" vehicles, or 2) See if they will provide you the oil and filter for another vehicle that you own and allow you to take it home.

The whole point is that you should not be paying for the cost of the product that you are not even getting applied to your vehicle. My guess would be that they will NOT work with you in either scenario unless it is possibly a privately owned shop. No chain quick lube type of place will budge because they usually see some sort of kickback from the corporate level. A buddy of mine is a manager of a Firestone and once told me that their oil change specials typically drop the cost of labor, not the parts. Just keep in mind, it doesn't hurt to ask, right!?

Sounds logical but some may balk due to their inventory to work invoices not being accurate. Don't be scared of hearing NO however your followup to your question here could be....

Found a local oil and filter special shop who for $15-$20 would use my oil and filter and then filled an empty container of their bulk oil for my taking. An oil filter in their service special of my choice was also provided.

I am a lucky person so I tipped the young man bringing me the goods.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

If you're going to do this, why wouldn't you just take the oil and filter you bought and change it yourself in the first place?

Not something I want to normally spend time doing. Nor is it exactly easy on some of my cars...

I'm sure I'm not the only person with this concern.
Considering how much shops charge for synthetic, it only makes sense for you to buy your own on sale and provide it to them.

But they should give you back oil they originally included in the price anyway, right?

$20 Labor for an oil change is a good deal. $15 is a great deal on a car that: "Nor is it exactly easy on some of my cars..."

I'd be happy with that and let them keep the chinese filter and bulk fill oil.

That is all terms you need to work out before you agree to that.I would of never even went for what you did period.But I change my own oil.Another thing is the techs will keep your good product and use bulk so they can use it in there own vehicles.And not use the [censored] bulk the shop they work at uses.You are just asking for more trouble dealing with whom you have been.

Hey guys,
I usually get my oil changes done through whatever shops are willing to work on my cars and usually run oil change deals for $15-$20
So I provide the materials (oil and filter) and pay the full price($20) just for labor.
Now am I entitled to the oil and filter the shop would normally provide for a normal car?
Sounds weird, but how would I go about asking for it? Should I bring an empty jug for them to fill? Would they do it?

They would be using cheap bulk oil and $1 filters and the young man doing the oil change probably does not shave yet.

Take your car to a decent indy shop and pay the normal labor and you won't end up with a stripped drain plug or 2 oil filter gaskets installed.

Hey guys,

If they'll do a full oil change for $20, and are using your materials for the change then common sense indicates that their oil should go to you. You could try it, but I can almost guarantee they won't see it that way - since the lowball oil change price is to get people in for other services.

I think you have too much time on your hands...

The deal is an oil change and filter installed in your car for "$X.00". If you change the rules, as in bringing your own oil and filter, then you forfeit the oil and the filter doggy bag. If you ask for it you'll look like a fool..a cheap, weird fool, no less.

WalMart sells oil cheap enough, if you want oil for your other cars, do what everyone else does and just buy it yourself. You're not entitled to change the rules just b/c you want to.

Originally Posted By: cknight49090
That is all terms you need to work out before you agree to that.I would of never even went for what you did period.But I change my own oil.Another thing is the techs will keep your good product and use bulk so they can use it in there own vehicles.And not use the [censored] bulk the shop they work at uses.You are just asking for more trouble dealing with whom you have been.

ummm, no if I give a shop my oil and filter, they use it. I don't think anyone is that lowly to swap out the materials you provide, but I see them using my stuff through the shop window.

Might be worth a try, but I wouldn’t have high expectations.

I once priced a set of four tires from a store that perpetually offers 4 “free” oil changes with the purchase of four tires. I didn’t want their oil changes with bulk oil and cheap filters and offered to swap that for an alignment instead. They wouldn’t go for it, for two reasons.

They typically push the alignment very hard anyway (and charge extra for it), and they really wanted me back in there four more times over the next year or so, giving them an opportunity to sell me something else.

I walked out and bought the tires cheaper elsewhere (but didn’t get the “free” oil changes).

Originally Posted By: Noey
I think you have too much time on your hands...

The deal is an oil change and filter installed in your car for "$X.00". If you change the rules, as in bringing your own oil and filter, then you forfeit the oil and the filter doggy bag. If you ask for it you'll look like a fool..a cheap, weird fool, no less.

WalMart sells oil cheap enough, if you want oil for your other cars, do what everyone else does and just buy it yourself. You're not entitled to change the rules just b/c you want to.

If you're spending your time pondering about oil and filters that will probably make no difference to the life of a car, EVERYONE on this site has too much time on their hands.
I'm simply substituting oil and filter they agreed to install anyway. I don't think is costs more to pour synthetic vs conventional. If they were doing a regular oil change, they would be out there own supplies regardless.
I don't care what I look like, or what people think. The spare oil can always be useful as a top up in a pinch or for my yard equipment. Even at the very cheapest, oil is still $2 a quart, so definitely worth getting. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as me and what they're doing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
$20 Labor for an oil change is a good deal. $15 is a great deal on a car that: "Nor is it exactly easy on some of my cars..."

I'd be happy with that and let them keep the chinese filter and bulk fill oil.

Not easy for me. Since shops have a dedicated lift and all the right tools, it's not so bad for them. I'm usually in and out within 15-20mins

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Hey guys,

They would be using cheap bulk oil and $1 filters and the young man doing the oil change probably does not shave yet.

Take your car to a decent indy shop and pay the normal labor and you won't end up with a stripped drain plug or 2 oil filter gaskets installed.

Man, quick lube joints get no love on BITOG, huh?
The shops I go to always have experienced mechanics. Maybe I'm lucky, but I've never had any problems to date, regardless of the shop I go to (knock on wood). If they don't feel comfortable working on my car, they kindly refuse and I take my business elsewhere. Some shops do get scared when they see a high end brand roll in, but it's not rocket science.
-The Jag has a Ford Duratec V6 under the hood
-The Cayenne has the same VR6 motor as a lot of VW cars have
-The Mercedes has so much ground clearance and such an accessible drain plug and filter, I'm really tempted to do my own oil change this time around.
But some shops I walk into and they give me a horrendous quote just because of the car I drive. $100 for an oil change? $40 for labor? Give me a break... Doesn't take them any longer to change my oil than a Honda Accord, unless you're counting the time it takes to pour the extra quarts

Last edited:
I think there's a difference btwn spending private time thinking about oil and filters and discussing the merits of each with like minded folk even if the finer points represent a minuscule difference not appreciated by mere mortals....and behaving publicly in a way that reveals things about you that frankly you should give a second thought to..especially when you drive up in one of the cars you've thoughtfully listed for us. This I say as a fellow fine car owner and one who is aware of how my automotive choices are often interpreted by others.

If you choose to bring your own stuff to the Jiffy Lube and they agree to install it, fine. But asking for a doggie bag is just bad taste. Look at it as the cost for having it done your way with your supplies, the cost of labor, which at $20 isn't expensive. I think the majority of responses here support this, and that should tell you something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back