Providing materials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brian Barnhart
Might be worth a try, but I wouldn’t have high expectations.

I once priced a set of four tires from a store that perpetually offers 4 “free” oil changes with the purchase of four tires. I didn’t want their oil changes with bulk oil and cheap filters and offered to swap that for an alignment instead. They wouldn’t go for it, for two reasons.

They typically push the alignment very hard anyway (and charge extra for it), and they really wanted me back in there four more times over the next year or so, giving them an opportunity to sell me something else.

I walked out and bought the tires cheaper elsewhere (but didn’t get the “free” oil changes).

I guess this is additional evidence that there is no free lunch, nor are there free oil changes.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Originally Posted By: Brian Barnhart
Might be worth a try, but I wouldn’t have high expectations.

I once priced a set of four tires from a store that perpetually offers 4 “free” oil changes with the purchase of four tires. I didn’t want their oil changes with bulk oil and cheap filters and offered to swap that for an alignment instead. They wouldn’t go for it, for two reasons.

They typically push the alignment very hard anyway (and charge extra for it), and they really wanted me back in there four more times over the next year or so, giving them an opportunity to sell me something else.

I walked out and bought the tires cheaper elsewhere (but didn’t get the “free” oil changes).

I guess this is additional evidence that there is no free lunch, nor are there free oil changes.

There are such things as cheap oil changes though. There's a shop near my house that will do a Valvoline synthetic blend oil change with filter for $8.88. Yes, it's probably to drive business, but many of my friends have went there and they were never sold anything else, nor have I heard any horror stories yet. And even if the shop does try to sell you stuff you don't need, is it hard to say no?
In case anyone was interested: http://lomanforthepeople.com/8-88-oil-change/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back