Property taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
It funds the schools. Why are you complaining -- don't want education for the children?

The government taxes what I earn, what I spend, what I own, what i use, what I need.

And then there are property taxes - set at an arbritary value by the government, irrespective of whether or not I am selling my property. Why should my property tax rate be set by the price my neighbor sold their home, rather than the price I purchased my home. Inflation you say? Inflation is created by the government via the Federal Reserve. The government has a permanent lien on my property because of taxes. So much for property rights in the US.

The government says we need to be responsible for our own retirement. How can people do that when faced with ever increasing property taxes?

Scott

That's the American way.

Just look at our military -- $1 trillion+ spending every year and can't compete with an Afghan warlord with a 1985 AK-47.

Where are you getting your facts?

The DOD budget isn't anywhere near that...it represents just under 17% of the total Federal Budget. The preponderance of the Federal Budget is payments, through a multitude of programs, that go to Americans. I'll make it simple: MOST OF OUR TAX DOLLARS already do what you want: give money to the needy, poor, kids, and social programs. We already spend more on Medicare alone than we do on Defense.

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/51110

Sure makes it easy to bash America, and the military, when you really don't know what's going on.

When I lived in California in the late 60s and early 70s I had friends whose property taxes on their ranch went from $500 one year to $2,200 the next year to $27,000 the following year. Local governments had more money than they knew what to do with because of increases in appraisals without subsequent reductions in the mill rate. Taxpayers became angry and passed Proposition 13 which limited net taxes to 1% of the property value established the year before it passed. Plus an amount for bonds and inflation.
Local and state government did everything they could to circumvent the will of the voters and get around Proposition 13. They finally figured out how to get more money by charging huge impact fees for anyone who wants to develop property or build a house. Now if I want to build a home on property I've owned and paid taxes on for 30 years, without receiving any services, I have to pay almost $70,000 in fees to build a home.
All this so firefighters can receive six-figure pay in retirement income and education can pay bureaucrats 50% of the money that is supposed to go to children's education. And other things that are probably more egregious but I just don't know about them.

It funds the schools. Why are you complaining -- don't want education for the children?

Are you being sarcastic?
I can't tell.
I have no problem with the public funding of education via taxes.
The issue i have is with the extreme waste taking place with the administration of that funding.

How does Chicago spend more per kindergartener per year than my private college education cost per year?

I appealed my crook county taxes myself last year and got them lowered. I did it again this year. I am confident they will be lowered again.

If you escrow your taxes, your mortgage carrier will go ahead and cut that check with the huge increase regardless if you have the money in escrow or not! So nice of them
eek.gif
I had that happen to me years ago. Apparently I was being under-billed for several years with a military discount I wasn't eligible for.

Luckily property taxes aren't horrible in my area for older homes. New builds are atrociously taxed.

Wow....mine went up about 500 dollars over these past 4 years and I was going to complain. Seems like I'd better keep my mouth shut compared to what has happened to some of ya'll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back