Free Property Use To Expand A Bridge

I'd take photos of the property before and after. My worry would be diesel and hydraulic fluid spilled/dumped everywhere.

Also, what if the project runs behind. What happens if it goes 2 years? 3 years? How will you be compensated?

Also any agreement needs to spell out arbitration (or whatever) and WHO arbitrates if they say they returned it to former condition and you disagree.

I mean seriously-- who settles a dispute when they say "We were totally awesome and we're local government, so we know awesome!!"

I just received a certified letter from the county engineering works.
They want to use a section of my 30 acre property for a work area for 1 year exactly for absolutely no compensation. They are giving me 5 days to notarize the papers and won't even flip a dime for the notary.

That area will be planted as well (crop area)
I really don't need anything and the bridge is in fine condition so it's not a plus for me.

I think they could if anything pay the property taxes for the year... seriously...

What say you?
At the minimum, they should compensate you for your lost income. (Not being able to have that area planted.)

This is just part of the section they want to use. Further down would be the bridge to the right and a RR track at the end which opens up into yet another field.
I read online that it may drag out to 2028 and they want to start in June.
At this point I need to talk to a lawyer and see what's really going on.

It took me years to get this property where it is today and I've seen what the state can do.
Nothing is cheap in Maryland these days especially taxes but they were proud of the "no compensation" statement which was used over and over again in the slimy contract.

1000000098.jpg

What’s the person who owns the property where the other end of the bridge have to say? I wonder if they got the same letter or maybe there isn’t space to stage on that end?

Tell them it’s not free. Have them draft a lease for you to review and see what they offer. Make sure they either restore it or pay to have it restored, include you as an insured on the county and all contractor’s insurance policies before they are allowed on the land, have an increase in rent if they go beyond the initial term, and define the area they’ll use with a satellite image photo.

You seem smart enough to not involve an attorney as this isn’t rocket surgery but you could also tell them you want $1,500 for legal to have your attorney review.

Over the years since the road out front my house was platted, around the 1870s I think, it has moved further to the east closer to me due to unstable sand and high water table combined with strong currents during high floods. My property stake which should be the center of the road is almost completely on the far side of it, almost 10 ft. This all get exacerbated by township ROW and the lot setbacks so much so the lot is nearly unbuildable.

but they were proud of the "no compensation" statement
Given the highest law of the land says they MUST provide just compensation - how on earth does a government get away with even suggesting such?

Its a fraud outright, by definition.

Given you sounded like you wanted to sell, perhaps they should just buy it outright.

What’s the person who owns the property where the other end of the bridge have to say? I wonder if they got the same letter or maybe there isn’t space to stage on that end?

Tell them it’s not free. Have them draft a lease for you to review and see what they offer. Make sure they either restore it or pay to have it restored, include you as an insured on the county and all contractor’s insurance policies before they are allowed on the land, have an increase in rent if they go beyond the initial term, and define the area they’ll use with a satellite image photo.

You seem smart enough to not involve an attorney as this isn’t rocket surgery but you could also tell them you want $1,500 for legal to have your attorney review.
I'm down here now.
Apparently my property is the only one that allows access. The others are heavily wooded and not ample enough.
I did talk to the lady just after the bridge and she was not asked and she called the neighbor on my side and they were not asked either.

They are already parking on my front entrance side of the development and working on the railroad.

I snapped a few pics of the bridge and on top of it. The bridge is having issues apparently as it has been inspected from the top and resurfaced.

1000002306.jpg
1000002308.jpg
1000002302.jpg

I'd feel completely different about this, if the land was going to only be used by a local governmental agency... temporarily for the public good.... and no one involved will be making a profit off of it. At the moment, I can't think of a better example than parking for a all volunteer civil war battle re-enactment that will be for one day, that is free to the public. No money changing hands anywhere.

But here's my real problem. Your land is going to be used for what could be an undetermined amount of time (supply chain disruptions anyone?), by dozens of FOR PROFIT companies, who are going to benefit from the use YOUR land, to make all sorts of profit with this bridge replacement.

So... why exactly are you not allowed to make money on the deal as well?

I'd let them know that nothing will happen until you can consult with your lawyer.... and then not get in any hurry to contact your lawyer. See what their next move is before you do.

Last edited:
Nothing is cheap in Maryland these days especially taxes but they were proud of the "no compensation" statement which was used over and over again in the slimy contract.

From that alone, I'd give the county engineering works a call and tell them no so I can hear their excuses.

This happened at our church: we had a big lot that was needed to store equipment and gravel, sand etc for a road construction project nearby. The "for Profit" paving company PAID for their use of the property and made it back to previous condition (we had to call them back twice to get it right).

I'd feel completely different about this, if the land was going to only be used by a local governmental agency... temporarily for the public good.... and no one involved will be making a profit off of it. At the moment, I can't think of a better example than parking for a all volunteer civil war battle re-enactment that will be for one day, that is free to the public. No money changing hands anywhere.

But here's my real problem. Your land is going to be used for what could be an undetermined amount of time (supply chain disruptions anyone?), by dozens of FOR PROFIT companies, who are going to benefit from the use YOUR land, to make all sorts of profit with this bridge replacement.

So... why exactly are you not allowed to make money on the deal as well?

I'd let them know that nothing will happen until you can consult with your lawyer.... and then not get in any hurry to contact your lawyer. See what their next move is before you do.
I totally agree. There are 37 houses in that country type development of over around 350 acres.
My property is the front entrance. I allow it as walking trails, family reunions etc. Never stingy.
But you bring up a great idea. I will call tomorrow and tell them I had to seek legal counsel and that in itself
may bring an offer. Right now, I'm actually worried about the article I read where it may take until 2028.
Other liability issues as well. And the crops. Thanks!

I was born and raised in MD and none of this surprises me. I love how they overtax your income, you get a refund check for the that only to have your refund taxed as income! Crazy!

Moving to Texas was the best move I ever made.

Just tell them you want 50% of what they're playing to rebuild the bridge so you can rebuild your lawn. If the bridge is $1mil than you get 500k. The cost of the bridge including surveying cost, what they pay for materials and labor, etc. Does the bridge even need replaced?
I'd probably just put up no trespassing signs and tell them to get lost if the bridge still works.

Working with the government always causes grief. Just try to make it someone else's greif and not your own.

Make sure they pick up their trash too. People like this can be such slobs.

I imagine the ground will get tore up too. It would be fair to say you want it back to the way it was.

Make sure they pick up their trash too. People like this can be such slobs.

I imagine the ground will get tore up too. It would be fair to say you want it back to the way it was.
I told my friend last night the same thing. The property is pristine now and I can see a zillion coffee cups and wrappers strewn all through the woods...
Yeah I know...get over it.. 😀

Back