Profit on Pickup Trucks

From knowing some past industrial pricing, like $50.00 to manufacturer said part, then the dealer sells it for $2500. this was over 30 years ago I saw this confidential pricing.
So my guess is it costs about 10k or less to build them, maybe a smitch more to pay for pensions.

I'd guess the profit margin is in the 20% area, with the optioned up vehicles higher than that.

Saying that because back when my Dad was alive and I could get the GM employee discount,
I could by any new GM vehicle by ordering exactly what I wanted and it would go thru a dealer
but if memory serves correctly it was something like 15% off the base model price and 20% off the options.

you can tell by the differential in the price between a base model and a loaded truck the options are nothing but a profit generator.

I'd guess the profit margin is in the 20% area, with the optioned up vehicles higher than that.

Saying that because back when my Dad was alive and I could get the GM employee discount,
I could by any new GM vehicle by ordering exactly what I wanted and it would go thru a dealer
but if memory serves correctly it was something like 15% off the base model price and 20% off the options.

you can tell by the differential in the price between a base model and a loaded truck the options are nothing but a profit generator.
Of course options increase profits-however they have costs to the manufacturer as well.

Like those who say they should not have ended sedan production - but had zero interests in buying one
Both new cars I bought were Sedan or Coupe.
Anything truck or suburban I bought was ancient , right now I have 4 cars and 1 truck in the stable. If I would learn how to weld correctly I could get rid of the truck since one of my cars is a beast and could tow anything the truck does.

I drive vehicles a long time so I’m not buying a new ones constantly

Anything truck or suburban I bought was ancient , right now I have 4 cars and 1 truck in the stable. If I would learn how to weld correctly I could get rid of the truck since one of my cars is a beast and could tow anything the truck does.

What are they ?

OK begs the question what this vehicle is that can tow as well as a modern pickup truck?

It's very hard to get any good data on what is propriety information, but from what I could find it looks like about 20% of the retail sticker of a new pickup goes to the manufacturer.
This will vary by trim level and model. The strippers sold to large commercial operators and to government fleets will obviously have lower margins while the high trim models most people buy will have higher margins.
If you can't make money selling cars I guess you can try you luck with trucks, which is working well for now.

The only guys who want a single cab no frills work truck (non commercial use) hang out on here.......not enough consideration for the truck manufacturers.
Very true, although my 2018 Regular Cab F-150 in Arrest Me Red with Chrome package turned more heads than any vehicle i've owned. The first time was less than 2 miles from the dealership right after picking it up. Regular cabs looks better from the styling angle. IMO YMMV

I’m sort of hoping it’s a late 60’s Olds 98 with a 455…
With stellar gas mileage to boot!

Small point of clarification for our dear readers, the Rocket 455 was the stroked 425 and came out in 1968 (I think). Any A-Body after 67 is too new for me...
The 400 in our 65 4-4-2 is the short stroke version of the family.

In the early 70’s it was common to pull what would now be a small travel-trailer with a full sized Oldsmobile or Buick with a 455.
Yup - neighbors towed with big Pontiac wagons - tires had sidewalls the size of my BFG KO2’s LoL …

With stellar gas mileage to boot!

Small point of clarification for our dear readers, the Rocket 455 was the stroked 425 and came out in 1968 (I think). Any A-Body after 67 is too new for me...
The 400 in our 65 4-4-2 is the short stroke version of the family.
Jeff-tell us what these 2 - 1/2 ton dinosaurs got gas millage wise......

Jeff-tell us what these 2 - 1/2 ton dinosaurs got gas millage wise......
You mean what my iron headded, high compression, leaky carb, 400 cu in 4-4-2 gets with the 2 speed Junk-Away trans ?
Or my 68 427/390 Corvette Roadster? FYI both cars are in the 3,400 pound range...

1st I gotta figure out how to get the ignition curve right running crummy 91* wanna be "Premium". I hate it when they ping!
I can tell you I had a 70 Corvette coupe with a CRR engine, which was an LS6. 4 to 6 mpg...
In the meantime, here's my BIL's 1962 327 Fuelie, for your enjoyment... Big bucks in this one; Mark started with a basket.
62 Fuelie Show 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Back