Prestone De-Icer Windshield Washer Fluid NLA ?

I have been using the Prestone yellow fluid (good down to -27F) over the last 6 winters, without complaint. But it is out of stock at both Walmart (where I usually buy it) and at AutoZone. Makes me wonder if it has been discontinued.

Walmart has their Super Tech winter fluid (good down to -20F), and also Rain-X 2-in-1 Fluid (good down to -25F). Which one to buy?

I have read some complaints here about the Rain-X clogging nozzles and getting moldy:

Any complaints about the Walmart winter Washer fluid?

I’ve been using Walmart washer fluid since I’ve been driving. Walmart used to sell the Krystal Kleer brand years ago but now it’s their own Supertech brand. The Supertech bottles even have the Krystal Kleer logo on the bottom. Never had any issues with it.

I have added a bottle of Heet to my gallons of washer fluidfor added protection I am not a fan of Rain-x I have seen fallout in freezing temperatures.

I have been using the Prestone yellow fluid (good down to -27F) over the last 6 winters, without complaint. But it is out of stock at both Walmart (where I usually buy it) and at AutoZone. Makes me wonder if it has been discontinued.

I just picked some up this morning at Wal-Mart ... the shelves were full.

Plenty of it here at my Walmart. Generally in the winter I use the Purple kind from Rain-X but have used the orange and it’s good too.

I don't use washer fluids with any sort of rain repellent/coating anymore because I found they'd cause wiper chatter. I now use regular blue fluid and add some P21S booster in the summer to help with the bugs.

The ST washer fluid is good stuff. I've used the Rain-x orange, and personally, didn't like it. It worked well enough, but stained the plastic cowling on my car. I asked Rain-x about it, they passed it off to their manufacturer of the product, from which I have not yet received a response after many months. Not holding my breath.

I just picked some up this morning at Wal-Mart ... the shelves were full.

Must be a regional shortage with WM and AZ where I am in north Idaho. I just checked inventory online at my local NAPA store, and they are getting more stock on Tuesday.

Prestone has an All Season 3-in-1 Washer Fluid #AS658 (OK down to -27F) that I have never seen on a store shelf.

No matter what the weather looks like, this [Prestone] windshield washer fluid will keep your windshield clear and clean. With de-ice ingredients, it will melt ice fast and protect against freezing down to -27 degrees Fahrenheit. It also has bug wash to penetrate through the toughest bug reside and remove them entirely. Lastly, it is water repellent and leaves no streaks or glare.

Some windshield washer fluid contains harsh chemicals that can actually damage your car. This product, however, is strong but gentle. It will power through bugs and dirt but will not harm or discolor your car’s paint.

It also has a thick, no-drip consistency which makes pouring it into your vehicle easier. You also do not need to worry about changing and flushing your washer fluid throughout the year. This one will last you through all the seasons...

Initial chemical smell can be strong.

BTW, this is what I picked up at Walmart on Saturday ... it is a bit different (down to -34F vs -27F).

prestone.jpg

I have found one I really like for winter based on my usage last year is the Conoco Xtreme Blue it worked great for me. This year I couldn’t find it anywhere which was strange I thought.

You guys still running HIGHLY TOXIC methanol in your WWF ! ?

Not a good or smart Idea!

I'm surprised this junk is still on the market.

It's bad for paint and wiper rubber and health.

I use RV antifreeze. Its non toxic, ethanol and propylene glycol based - and you can use it for hand sanitizer too.

PRIME RV Antifreeze

Last edited:
You guys still running HIGHLY TOXIC methanol in your WWF ! ?

Not a good or smart Idea!

I'm surprised this junk is still on the market.

It's bad for paint and wiper rubber and health.

I use RV antifreeze. Its non toxic, ethanol and propylene glycol based - and you can use it for hand sanitizer too.

PRIME RV Antifreeze
It’s only bad if you drink it. :)

Back