Windshield Wiper Fluid

DIY fluid any good? 1 Gallon distilled water + 1 OZ Dawn dish soap. Others?

I don't use Rain-x. Fantastic in the rain but attracts dust in dry weather that is hard to wash off. Blinding drivinginto the sun. I went to a lot of trouble to get the Rain-x off of my windshield.

Not worth my time to make my own when a jug of blue stuff costs $2 and change.

Most I do is add some P21S booster to help remove bugs in the summer.

I don't use Rain-x. Fantastic in the rain but attracts dust in dry weather that is hard to wash off. Blinding drivinginto the sun. I went to a lot of trouble to get the Rain-x off of my windshield.
Agree about the Rain-X. Used it for the first time in awhile about a week ago. Been real dry and dusty since. It's a dust magnet.

Water and Dawn works fine, but I'd go a little lighter than 1 OZ. Stuff is very concentrated.

I add one ounce of Simple Green to my washer reservoir. Doesn’t foam like many dish detergents do. Works great in milder climates like mine.

You can add HEET methanol or ethanol as antifreeze or isopropyl alcohol along with maybe a tablespoon of liquid detergent and whatever color dye you want to a gallon of filtered water. Or just buy it complete at wallyworld and avoid the hassle and spend an extra buck.

I buy propylene glycol which is a non-toxic anti-freeze used in potable water systems. I use it with a garden sprayer to de-ice my plane during winter flying. Since I always have a few gallons sitting around, I used it to blend my own windshield wiper fluid. Mix with water from the hose (roughly 50/50) and add just a dash of liquid detergent. It works well and never freezes.

The glycol is an essential ingredient if you don't want it to freeze, which can break the system (squirter pump or hoses).

Wal mart blue fluid with a splash of P21S washer fluid booster... In the summer just distilled water and a splash of P21S also...

I recently started making my own from a recipe found here. 1 Oz Castille soap, 9 Oz isopropyl alcohol, and 118 Oz of distilled water. Add a few drops of blue food coloring and it's very economical and effective!

Borgward, I use windshield washer tablets. doesn't freeze where I live they work fine.
Fleet I worked at used something similar, simply because it was cheap .

I think the last pack of tablets I bought, it was 9 dollars for 60 tablets
or 15 cents per gallon of washer solvent.

click here, there are other deals available in different size packages

Last edited:
Borgward, I use windshield washer tablets. doesn't freeze where I live they work fine.
Fleet I worked at used something similar, simply because it was cheap .

I think the last pack of tablets I bought, it was 9 dollars for 60 tablets
or 15 cents per gallon.

click here, there are other deals available in different size packages

same, but I add a little alky in the Winter.

same, but I add a little alky in the Winter.
yeah... last time I drove somewhere below freezing was a good two years ago and I realized it about as soon as the first time I hit the washer solvent and it froze on the windshield on contact. At least I was smart enough to then turn on the defroster and pump it all overboard as I drove. then bought some of the below zero stuff.

It doesn't hurt to add some alcohol for water insoluble compounds, and a bit of detergent (surfactant) to help cart it all off.
I use Rain-X, pure water works very well with that combo. But when winter comes i would have to put proper washer fluid that withstand cold temperature. What alcohol did you have in mind? If that alcohol is drinkable it will only go in my mouth :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Back