Prepare for (Weather Related) EMERGENCYS

Status
Not open for further replies.
What has everyone done to prepare for emergency around the house ? ? ?
Mostly weather related because of current change in weather patterns.

1) I'm sure a lot of us have Generators.
I have a Honda that I would like to convert to Natural Gas, but I don't think that's possible. Other than that, it's very reliable.
I installed the Transfer Switch which makes it easier to use.

2) Gutter Downspouts: I just increased mine from 2x3 to 3x4 inch.
This will empty the gutters alittle sooner.
The 2x3 on my roof size should have been 3x4 at time of construction.
That was a nice DIY project and most homes don't have 3x4 inch.

3) I want to purchase some Blue Plastic Tarps incase any shingles get blown off the house.

4) I put together a Roof & Gutter Ice Melt Kit.
Note: All Ice Melt material must be safe for aluminum gutters.
Hopefully this will prevent Ice Dams.
My house is insulated enough so I don't really worry, but never can tell.
If I do start to worry, I also turn down the thermostat to reduce heat loss thru ceiling.

5) I have a (snow) Roof Rake and a Roof Razor.
If anyone is not familiar with the Roof Razor, check them out on YouTube.
I could easily remove 3 feet of snow off my Ranch House in a few hours.

6) Fire Extinguishers in House and vehicle
In vehicle I also keep a Hammer and Razor Blade (brake window, cut seat belt)
Also several clean wash cloths incase someone is bleeding.

What else, what else,

7) Extra gas for the Generator during storm season.

8) Sump Pump Alarm so I know right away of malfunction.
Tested every 3 Months.

9) Extra Sump Pump I have 3 all set to go.

What else,

10) A well maintained snow blower

11) Ergonomic Snow Shovel

In New York, We really don't worry about:
Tornado / Hurricanes
Mud-Slides
Drought
Forest Fires

But, I'm always open to suggestions.
It lets me sleep better at night.

Again, what do you all do ? ? ?

Last edited:
We got many of the same things on our list too. I'll agree, us in NY don't worry too much about tornadoes or hurricanes.

We also have a few tractors ready to do what ever needed. About 200 gallon of fuel ready at all times in the 500 gallon tank.

Spare kerosene in a barrel with two kerosene heaters. Natural gas baseboard in the house. Gas stove as well (I really prefer natural gas appliances to electric).

Snow tires.

Sicne I'm still fairly new to WI, I don't have much experience dealing with winter storms.

However, being a native of the Gulf Coast region of TX, we learned to always have about a week's worth of food, water, and gasoline available any time there was the possibility of a hurricane coming close.

In rare cases, even that might not be enough... after a Hurricane several years ago (Hurricane Ike, IIRC), my dad was without electricity for almost 2 weeks - his generator was burning through about 3 gallons of gasoline per day, and for the first 7-10 days, all the gas stations within about a 40 mile radius of his house were sold out of gas.
His workplace a few miles away had power returned within a day or two of the storm, so he still had to drive to work every day.
He had a good emergency supply of gasoline stockpiled, but he almost ran out.

Larry, tell us about the Roof Razor vs. traditional roof rake, please. The Razor is very expensive.

Being an apartment dweller, my options are limited.

I do have a few car batteries fully charged and ready to go with the power inverter. I have had to use it a few times when the power has gone out. Used to be able to run my fridge on it, but the current fridge is just a bit too big. But it's nice for lights, cell phone. The last major power outage, I was able to have Internet ... go figure.

I have a bit of food stored along with water.

If I'm going on any sort of road trip, I carry two spare tires (summer - donut spare and winter tire, winter - two all season spares). Always have a shovel in the vehicle. Air pump. Tools. Spare fluids, etc.

As a precaution, I never let the gas tank in *either* vehicle get below 1/2 tank.

I already have money set aside for a minimum 7500W generator when I buy a house. There is no *IF*. Plus, if I move where I want, no power = no water.

One thing I have noticed the last year or two is the HEAVY RAIN we are getting. Seems like every time we get rain, it's downpour with an inch or two falling in an hour.

Two weeks ago I got caught in a rain storm where I was driving with water up to the bottom of the doors on the Focus. The water was running down my hill so quickly, I was losing traction climbing it. Even better, my road (on top of a hill) was flooded! That is also something I am going to take into consideration when buying a house. Nothing on low ground - too much flooding going on lately.

Originally Posted By: redhat
We got many of the same things on our list too. I'll agree, us in NY don't worry too much about tornadoes or hurricanes.

We also have a few tractors ready to do what ever needed. About 200 gallon of fuel ready at all times in the 500 gallon tank.

Spare kerosene in a barrel with two kerosene heaters. Natural gas baseboard in the house. Gas stove as well (I really prefer natural gas appliances to electric).

Snow tires.

I don't know about the tornadoes. We have been getting more and more recently. Back in July there were 4 or 5 east of here. One even within a few miles of my parents (near Utica)

Larry, tell us about the Roof Razor vs. traditional roof rake, please. The Razor is very expensive.

http://www.minnsnowta.com/

Yes, the Roof Razor is more money.
But, when you have 3 feet of snow on your roof and are worrying about the roof caving in, you need the Roof Razor, not a Rake.

I have a Ranch House, those typically have a lower pitch roof.
Our Winters can be unpredictable.
Note: The Roof Razor can only be used on a one-story house.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork

http://www.minnsnowta.com/

Yes, the Roof Razor is more money.
But, when you have 3 feet of snow on your roof and are worrying about the roof caving in, you need the Roof Razor, not a Rake.

I have a Ranch House, those typically have a lower pitch roof.
Our Winters can be unpredictable.
Note: The Roof Razor can only be used on a one-story house.

Tin roofs are nice for heavy snow. Much easier to rake without pulling off shingles.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Being an apartment dweller, my options are limited.

I do have a few car batteries fully charged and ready to go with the power inverter. I have had to use it a few times when the power has gone out. Used to be able to run my fridge on it, but the current fridge is just a bit too big. But it's nice for lights, cell phone. The last major power outage, I was able to have Internet ... go figure.

I have a bit of food stored along with water.

If I'm going on any sort of road trip, I carry two spare tires (summer - donut spare and winter tire, winter - two all season spares). Always have a shovel in the vehicle. Air pump. Tools. Spare fluids, etc.

As a precaution, I never let the gas tank in *either* vehicle get below 1/2 tank.

I already have money set aside for a minimum 7500W generator when I buy a house. There is no *IF*. Plus, if I move where I want, no power = no water.

One thing I have noticed the last year or two is the HEAVY RAIN we are getting. Seems like every time we get rain, it's downpour with an inch or two falling in an hour.

Two weeks ago I got caught in a rain storm where I was driving with water up to the bottom of the doors on the Focus. The water was running down my hill so quickly, I was losing traction climbing it. Even better, my road (on top of a hill) was flooded! That is also something I am going to take into consideration when buying a house. Nothing on low ground - too much flooding going on lately.

Snow tires.

I don't know about the tornadoes. We have been getting more and more recently. Back in July there were 4 or 5 east of here. One even within a few miles of my parents (near Utica)

Well I guess I should say in WNY they're not too terribly common. We had a quick touchdown about 6-8 years ago, but not much since.

You sound like me. Next week when I go to the 1000 Islands, I'll have a snow on a steel wheel and the donut spare ready to rock and roll. In winter, I usually carry one of the summer A/S. If I have a flat, the A/S would be better than a donut.

I keep my generator full and try to keep about 5 extra gallons of gas, a bunch of extension cords and some MREs around. I keep my F250 4x4 about half full of gas. A gallon or so for the chain saw is always handy. So far we have made it through a few extended outages without much problem. I did have a HF 2 stroke gen for lights and fans, saving the big guy for fridge, well pump etc, but I sold it when I moved. Might have been a mistake.

Cash cash cash! It gets piddly for interest in the bank so bury some behind a secret door in your basement.

If you have cable internet and your neighbor DSL, or vice versa, figure out how to mooch his wifi in an emergency, or just ask politely.

Tourists here are throwing out BBQ propane tanks, which I drag into Blue Rhino for a fresh tank, which I use, then refill all the way. The stuff never goes bad and the grill makes a great backup. A person can get a propane carb for a regular generator for $130 or get a cheezy "sportsman" 2000 Watter for $230 ish.

We have a whole house generator that is fueled by our propane system. Our propane system is a 1,500 gallon underground tank that never gets below half full. In addition to our generator we run the furnace, shop heat, dryer, stove and outdoor grill. Under the worst case scenario we could run the house just like we do now for about a month in the dead of winter with minimal lifestyle changes. If we were very conservative we could probably run for two or three winter months off the grid with no additional propane deliveries.

Our freezer is always stocked with meat from our local locker and we can/freeze a lot of fresh vegetables from the garden every year, so there is never a shortage of food in the house. I'm not worried about water-I usually have a couple cases of bottled water in the shop refrigerator, and while we don't use it, we also have access to a well should we ever need it.

I've never been concerned with snow buildup on the roof-it will handle anything mother nature can pile on it. I can always dig out with the tractor. If the snow is so deep I can't get the tractor through it I'll simply wait until it melts (it would have to be 6'+ snowstorm). I keep about 30 or 40 gallons of gasoline on hand for the tractors and mowers.

I do have some tarps-both the cheap blue variety as well as some heavy canvas tarps. In the event of a tornado that caused roof damage I could have it temporarily covered in a couple of hours.

Of course I have multiple fire extinguishers in the house, garage and shop. They are tested and ready to go if needed. We also have a water alarm system in the basement-should a backup happen I'll know about it within a few minutes (the sensors are a foot or so away from the basement utility room drain and water heater). There is also a water sensor in the laundry room in the event that the washer, utility sink or water softener develop a leak.

Most of it is just common sense, especially for people who live in a rural area. Going without electricity for a few days isn't unusual, and having the road impassible for a day or two is a very real possibility.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork

2) Gutter Downspouts: I just increased mine from 2x3 to 3x4 inch.
This will empty the gutters alittle sooner.
The 2x3 on my roof size should have been 3x4 at time of construction.
That was a nice DIY project and most homes don't have 3x4 inch.

Nice post Larry. My home needs its gutters redone. It rains hard and heavy often here in Ohio, and my home's foundation has problems due to poor drainage. I'm dealing with the foundation, but to prevent recurrence I think upgraded downspouts are a part of a durable solution.

I grew up just a few miles outside midtown manhattan, and I experienced a tornado in fourth grade. Small but they do happen.

Cars are your best fuel source. In places where power quality is a real issue, diesels are the only solution.

I prefer minimalist stowage, acquisition cost, etc., because practically speaking, we just don't lose infrastructure for that long around here. Yes, sure could happen, but the diesel and gasoline in my vehicles is good, safe storage. I'd rather "save" NG for home heating than waste it in generators.

Water is a far more important commodity. Lots of it around in the mid Atlantic, but you still need to make it potable and usable. I prefer charcoal, but a gas grill with a full propane tank can cook a lot of food. We have a spare LPG tank for the grill; when one is empty, I swap and take the other to be filled.

Water, maintaining refrigeration, and storing enough non-perishables are the key here. Not downplaying the risk, but if you look at it practically, what's really needed is "ride through" capability.

If you want full lights, entertainment and AC, that's a different story... But again, the practical/actuarial basis of that doesn't imo justify the costs.

And my wife has lived through worse hurricane aftermath a than most, and has the experience. She has a good head on her shoulders about this too.

L_Sludger,

What I found on the Internet for Downspouts was:
A rule of thumb-
2x3 inch downspout for 600 Sq. Ft. of Roof
3x4 inch downspout for 1,200 Sq. ft. of Roof

So, if you have 1,200 sq ft of roof, you need-
One 3x4 inch downspout (minimum)
OR
Two 2x3 inch downspouts (minimum)

If anybody pays to have larger downspouts installed,
make sure the larger gutter flange is installed (not just the downspout).

I'm glad I did mine.

Last edited:
I have two houses some 90 miles apart, so it's unlikely both will be taken out of service.

And a store fully stocked with cases of canned and frozen food and thousands of gallons of gasoline, and generators to power up what I need.

Tornadoes and ice storms are the main threats here, snow not so much.

Here, we can get tornadoes (or after effects like losing power if one touched down close to a substation) and ice storms. I got a generator with electric start and have it dried stored but ready to fire up within ten minutes. Weather guys are pretty good about predicting ice/winter storms, so when I hear that, I fill all the vehicles up in addition to having 15 gallons of gas in cans. Vehicles can give an extra 30 gallons.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

If you want full lights, entertainment and AC, that's a different story... But again, the practical/actuarial basis of that doesn't imo justify the costs.

True, but if you hoard all this stuff around the house the other inhabitants are going to demand some creature comforts if an outage goes past a couple hours. They can put the keibosh on your future "prepping" if you're stingy in a mild event.

Well I guess I should say in WNY they're not too terribly common. We had a quick touchdown about 6-8 years ago, but not much since.

You sound like me. Next week when I go to the 1000 Islands, I'll have a snow on a steel wheel and the donut spare ready to rock and roll. In winter, I usually carry one of the summer A/S. If I have a flat, the A/S would be better than a donut.

I've seen people run over stuff on the highway and lose two tires. I had a close call a few months ago on I-81 just north of Syracuse. Part of an overpass broke lose and there were pieces of steel reinforced concrete in the road. Lots of cars lost 1 or 2 or 3 tires.

Plus, having two spares came in useful when two of my cars tires got slashed back in May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back