Preowned SUV reliable models.

Yeah this sounds like Dad imposing an imagined lifestyle on his kid.

Chevy Trax starts under $25k brand new. It's worse than a Toyota, but is it worse than a 5 year old Toyota?
Yep.
It is manufactured in South Korea in the old Daewoo plant. Nothing even remotely good ever came out of that plant.

I’m hoping to buy preowned certified.

Looks like the Mazda dealer network around central TN isn't has robust as other parts of the country...(makes sense as Nashville's population growth is relatively recent).

CPO: 2021 CX-5 SPORT (if I recall correctly, this is the base/cheapest trim)
results

DEALER PRICE
$ 22,384

NELSON MAZDA
  • Mileage: 32,326
  • Exterior: Jet Black Mica
  • Interior: Black Cloth
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Engine: 2.5L SKYACTIV-G 4-cyl
  • Drivetrain: FWD

Chevy Trax starts under $25k brand new. It's worse than a Toyota, but is it worse than a 5 year old Toyota?
Well, as the father of 2 now twenty something daughters, I am guessing that perhaps dad is paying. And if Dad pays, he gets to impose all he likes.

If this helps, my daughter said based on her lifestyle and needs a SUV is the most practical choice. I’m not imposing my will lol

Looks like the Mazda dealer network around central TN isn't has robust as other parts of the country...(makes sense as Nashville's population growth is relatively recent).

CPO: 2021 CX-5 SPORT (if I recall correctly, this is the base/cheapest trim)
results

DEALER PRICE
$ 22,384

NELSON MAZDA
  • Mileage: 32,326
  • Exterior: Jet Black Mica
  • Interior: Black Cloth
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Engine: 2.5L SKYACTIV-G 4-cyl
  • Drivetrain: FWD

I also saw a CX3. I’m assuming it’s just a smaller CUV
Thoughts?

Find an early model 200 series Land Cruiser, with a couple hundred thousand miles it will still outlast anything else out there.

GX470 is hot goods bcs. off roading crowds. It is not the most reliable vehicle and some things are really expensive to fix. Add to that horrid brakes and dynamics. I had GX470 briefly, and it is good off road vehicle, nice interior, but not for someone that wants something to just drive and forget.
I disagree completely!

Last edited:
I disagree completely! I have had 4 LC’s since 95. I have put 100’s and thousands of miles on those SUV’s and never had to do anything outside of normal maintenance, never had a check engine light ever come on. Two of those LC’s were bought by friends of mine and both are still going with minimal maintenance and they both have over 350k miles.
Horrid brakes? A new centric premium rotors all around for the Land Cruiser is 320 bucks and you just eliminated the only flaw you mentioned. 😂😂😂
I had GX470 and I still own Prado 3.0 D-4D in Europe.
1. Your standards for brakes are too low, obviously. I am sorry to shake that “LC brother” thing going on, but it does not matter what rotors you put (Centric being mediocre by all means) they are undersized, like brakes on majority of Toyota vehicles. That is heavy vehicle and Toyota slapped 337mm rotor that is thick 28mm (less than my rotors on Atlas). Also, hub is big, which means contact patch is small. They overheat fast, and after that is downhill toward vibrations. The only rotors that had a decent life on my Prado were EBC.
2. Dynamically, it is one of the most challenged vehicles.
3. I cannot remember how many wishbones I replaced on Prado (same suspension as GX470). While off road driveline is very good, suspension is not fallowing it.
4. The GX470's air suspension is far from reliable. It is less reliable than any air suspension on Mercedes or BMW (first modification that off road crowd does it).
5. Of course, the BIGGEST issue is brake booster and master cylinder failure, which led to the complete loss of brakes in some cars.

But hey, Land Cruiser.

I had GX470 and I still own Prado 3.0 D-4D in Europe.
1. Your standards for brakes are too low, obviously. I am sorry to shake that “LC brother” thing going on, but it does not matter what rotors you put (Centric being mediocre by all means) they are undersized, like brakes on majority of Toyota vehicles. That is heavy vehicle and Toyota slapped 337mm rotor that is thick 28mm (less than my rotors on Atlas). Also, hub is big, which means contact patch is small. They overheat fast, and after that is downhill toward vibrations. The only rotors that had a decent life on my Prado were EBC.
2. Dynamically, it is one of the most challenged vehicles.
3. I cannot remember how many wishbones I replaced on Prado (same suspension as GX470). While off road driveline is very good, suspension is not fallowing it.
4. The GX470's air suspension is far from reliable. It is less reliable than any air suspension on Mercedes or BMW (first modification that off road crowd does it).
5. Of course, the BIGGEST issue is brake booster and master cylinder failure, which led to the complete loss of brakes in some cars.

But hey, Land Cruiser.
You must beat the crap out of it.

Skip the certified hype and find a well maintained Lexus rx350. 2017 with 90k miles will be $25k and will be an awesome driving car for many years.

Most expensive things I listed don’t have anything to do with abuse.
Also, it is Land Cruiser, shouldn’t be abused?
I never had brake issues like that with any of my LC’s, I do replace rotors when the pads wear out and centric premiums work great. None of my LC’s had the air suspension so I can’t speak for that.

Back