Preowned SUV reliable models.

My daughter is in Nashville and in need of a reliable preowned SUV something within the last five years. Budget around $25,000. Since she is on her own and not a car person reliability is the number one factor. Thanks in advance for suggestions

$25K is getting pretty close to new prices - I would see if you could find something like a HRV or Corrolla Cross new close enough to her price range.. If she is financing, the new might actually be cheaper.

If you want used - we have had no significant issues yet with our 2019 Rav4 ICE.

I think she will need a four-door SUV as she has a dog camping gear kayak etc.

Honestly, a 2019-2020 Fit would be the best choice. Or a Corolla hatchback.

The Fit actually has the same amount of space inside as the HRV. Within one cubic foot :sneaky:

Of course, the HR-V and CH-R are good choices, too.

$25K is getting pretty close to new prices - I would see if you could find something like a HRV or Corrolla Cross new close enough to her price range.. If she is financing, the new might actually be cheaper.

If you want used - we have had no significant issues yet with our 2019 Rav4 ICE.

Also this. It might actually be possible to get a new Corolla hatchback for 25k. MAYBE a base model Corolla Cross.

I personally own a Subaru Forrester but I’m worried about CVT reliability at least for her. I figure Toyota or Honda most mechanics can work on them

Agreed. Does she really need a SUV? My son bought this brand new Corolla last summer for just over 23k.
1707238315495.jpg

cr-v or rav 4. the cr-v is a terrible drive, rented one in san diego. couldn't wait to give it back. I would lean rav-4.

I’m leaning towards RAV4. I’m hoping she agrees. Looking at preowned in the Nashville area they are around $24,000 which is in budget. Is there a preference for front wheel drive versus all-wheel-drive

I’m leaning towards RAV4. I’m hoping she agrees. Looking at preowned in the Nashville area they are around $24,000 which is in budget. Is there a preference for front wheel drive versus all-wheel-drive
Those prices are for fourth generation RAV4

I was thinking SUV as she is an outdoors person with a dog and a kayak
Absolutely SUV with AWD.
IMO, 2018+ (absolutely NOT 2017) Toyota Highlander would be good. I would say 2015-16 would be even better reliability wise. They have their quirks, but if not chasing dynamics or excellent fit and finish, that is always good option.

I bought my daughter an 2010 RX350 for $13.5K out the door about a year ago.
She is still driving it in college now.

I kept up the maintenance, change the spark plug and clean the TB last December when she was home.
Of course, change Trans Fluid, Coolant and regular OCI of 5000 miles.

Mazda CX5 for its 6-speed transmission and very reliable engine---if she plans on keeping the car for a long time.

That said, mom has the prior generation CRV w/75,000 miles, owned since mile 3: 1.5 turbo w/no engine dilution, CVT has had no problems. No dealer/mechanic visits at all except for regular maintenance.

Rav4
CX-5
These are the two used SUVs that she should look at. Both are very reliable.
The Corolla Cross should also be on her list. She can purchase a new lower end model for about $25000.
FYI, the Honda CR-V has a CVT automatic as well as a turbo charger. From a long term reliability standpoint, turbo charging is something that should be avoided.

Back