Premium Gas NOT Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Rickey:
Re:"Premium Gas NOT Needed" I call bull on the premise of the topic. Why did they ask a race car driver (Joe Nemechek).I suggest they should have asked his mechanic instead.

Asking a race car driver (or his mechanic) about 87 or 89 octane gasoline when the lowest rating his 14.0:1 engine can run is above 103 is simply rediculous. Like using a race oil because driver X uses it--race engines are torn down every 500 miles!

Back to the topic at hand.

My Ferrari F355B is a little picky on gas. I can tell the difference between Chevron and Phillips by sound! I can't feel any performance difference, but the note of the engine actually does change! In addition, when I an at a race track, I have access to 96 noLead and 104 noLead racing gasolines--and while these mixtures smell just like race gas from way back when--and I can hear a difference in the note of the engine--there is no measurable performance difference.

On the other hand, once the engine has learned the 104 noLead race gas (like on the drive home), and I run the tank down and add the typical 92-93 octane premium; the engine positively stumbles at idle until the computer recognizes the situation and starts to correct (10 seconds or so).

5 weeks ago I was driving the F355B through the high country near 4 corners. The best gas I could find was running 87 and 88 octane (7,000 feet). The car never noticed because the air is thin enough that even with 11:1 compression the cylinder pressures were moderate and reasonable. Down here where I live (680 ft) 87 gas would not run very well at all even with all the adaptive engine controls; 89 is Ok-ish, 87 is clunk city.

quote:

"It is a myth that cars run better on premium gas,"

Ya, clearly never had to deal with a turbo car in the SW I see. 89 will blow a hole in a piston and 91 is marginal but and need to pull the timing back inb the summer months. Those in the east with 93 and 94 have it good. There is a definte difference in dyno reports for our cars that can easliy be traced to 91-94 octane levels. If I mix in 3 gallons of 100 and make 93-94 octane I can make 40whp more. If I run that tune on straight 91 I will detonate horribly. Hence the in car boost controller.

I have done this and have verified out her in the Sw 91 is 91 and 89 is 89. Will an Escelade be able to tell? Probably not. Can my 250hp per Litre 2.0 GrN motor tell? You bet.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
That TV report was probably about people who used high Octane fuel in engines that don't require it. Some will use Premium while the car only needs Regular. Car manufacturers do not require a certain fuel without reason.

My engine was designed for fuel with 95 RON/ROZ or an AKI of 91. Fuel with a rating of 87 AKI of 91 RON can be used. If I use 89 Octane mid-grade fuel, the ECU will pull timing back to prevent pinging. While the powerloss is minimal, gas mileage decreases so much that buying premium gas is simply more cost effective. I'm sure it depends on the engine.

Exactly. The 3.5 HO in my Chrysler calls for 89 RON minimum, and that's what I use. Compression ratio is over 10:1 and the few times I've had to fill up with 87, I could feel the difference as the PCM kept the timing retarded to compensate.

Moral of the story: If you're using 93 RON in your mini van that calls for 87, that is probably a waste. But if your engine was designed to run on higher octane fuel, that's what you should use.

Quote:
Moral of the story: If you're using 93 RON in your mini van that calls for 87, that is probably a waste. But if your engine was designed to run on higher octane fuel, that's what you should use.
================================================

Wrong moral!
It's not about gas ping! It's all about a better running car. My car runs fine on 87. But it runs smooth as silk, gets better gas mileage & has more power with Shell V-Power Premium.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
Quote:
================================================

Wrong moral!
It's not about gas ping! It's all about a better running car. My car runs fine on 87. But it runs smooth as silk, gets better gas mileage & has more power with Shell V-Power Premium.

Notice I said "probably a waste." There's an exception to every rule.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back