New Car That Takes Premium Gas

My MB 3.5 V6 requires 91, The premium I buy is 93. Since the prices went up I will refill a half or more tank with regular and still have 91. Engine runs fine. I may be wasting my time but it makes me feel like I'm saving money.

My MB 3.5 V6 requires 91, The premium I buy is 93. Since the prices went up I will refill a half or more tank with regular and still have 91. Engine runs fine. I may be wasting my time but it makes me feel like I'm saving money.
Yeah I am going to do that too
Every little bit helps
Here they have 20 cents off premium on Thursday...Exxon

Not a waste of time as I refill at a half of a tank anyway.

Last edited:
I recently got out of the premium gas required situation I was in with an Audi A6.

I now have an Acura where the owners manual states something like best performance with premium gas. The inside of the gas door has a sticker that says premium gas recommended, and below it says minimum octane 87.

I am sure there is (or must be?) a difference in performance using the premium gas over regular, but I can’t seem to tell the difference…certainly not $0.80/gal difference! I do use Top Tier gas…

I now have an Acura where the owners manual states something like best performance with premium gas.
Then there are countless people who still insist that using regular or mid-grade is detrimental to the engine or say the car will run "bad" based on how they manipulate the wording from the owners manual.

Then there are countless people who still insist that using regular or mid-grade is detrimental to the engine or say the car will run "bad" based on how they manipulate the wording from the owners manual.
We can argue about the semantics all day long, but reality is, the ECU can only pull so much timing and under the operating ranges that knock detection is turned on.

I don't believe that regular octane is bad for 95% of engines, but I do run premium in both of my NA engines that both "recommend" premium for best performance. Would I be afraid to run 87? No, but I'll take the small performance increase and don't drive enough for the extra 30 cent price increase per gallon to be an issue.

Back