New Car That Takes Premium Gas

My 14 Mustang GT can run both but it says if you don't run premium, the engine will not make it's full power so I run premium most of the time.

Usually when they call for premium, it's for 91 octane. If you're on the east coast, most pumps are 93 so you could do 2/3 premium to 1/3 regular to get 91. If you used 2/3 of a tank, you could fill with premium and be at 91. Use up 1/3 of a tank and fill with premium to get 89.

Both my cars call for premium but it's not the end of the world if you put in regular. Manual just says to take it easy and refill with premium the next tank.

I'm quite sure that both of my new cars were delivered with full tanks of 87. I can't prove this of course, but after I filled my 5.7 HEMI V-8 with 91 Premium, it started faster, idled smoother, and had much better acceleration as well as fuel economy.

It was pretty much the same with my 2018 Toyota Camry, and it's 2.5 L A25A-FKS 4-Cylinder, along with it's 13:1 Compression Ratio. The manual for my HEMI say's it will run on 87, but with reduced performance and fuel economy. The computer simply detunes the engine so it won't knock. I always have run 91 Premium, and will continue to do so.

The same with my Toyota. I just can't see running 87 octane fuel in an engine with a 13:1 compression ratio. Especially considering there are some Diesels out there running 16:1.

I'm quite sure that both of my new cars were delivered with full tanks of 87. I can't prove this of course, but after I filled my 5.7 HEMI V-8 with 91 Premium, it started faster, idled smoother, and had much better acceleration as well as fuel economy.

It was pretty much the same with my 2018 Toyota Camry, and it's 2.5 L A25A-FKS 4-Cylinder, along with it's 13:1 Compression Ratio. The manual for my HEMI say's it will run on 87, but with reduced performance and fuel economy. The computer simply detunes the engine so it won't knock. I always have run 91 Premium, and will continue to do so.

The same with my Toyota. I just can't see running 87 octane fuel in an engine with a 13:1 compression ratio. Especially considering there are some Diesels out there running 16:1.
That engine is an Atkinson cycle engine. It holds the intake valve open while piston is rising on the intake stroke, reducing the intake charge. This reduces the amount of air/fuel being compressed, thus reducing the effective compression ratio. It allows a longer power or expansion stroke as a result, relative to the intake stroke.

That said, run three tanks of premium, then three of regular. If mpg rises on premium, see if the increase in mpg is greater than the increase in fuel cost. Maybe it makes a difference, maybe not. I’ve not tried it to see if it matters.

The guys on the Titan Truck board say that the truck with the big V8 doesn't play well if you don't use the factory recommended premium fuel......

My 5.3 however does just fine on the "mountain fuel" of 85 octane.

Anything with high compression will be upset if it is specifically spec'd for 91. My 6.4L's have all been, my bimmers have all been, and I'm sure my M5 wouldn't have been happy with regular. These are cars where it isn't recommended, rather, it states required.
Do you run the 89 with your 1500? I *think* mine has been doing ok with 87... don't hear any pinging and seems ok. I know it's only a recommendation per the manual.

Do you run the 89 with your 1500? I *think* mine has been doing ok with 87... don't hear any pinging and seems ok. I know it's only a recommendation per the manual.
I ran my Challenger RT on 87 and never an issue but I drive easy. I don't get on them.

My Ford 7.3 PU. didn't like 87
Idled rough.

Turbo then premium, unless you never ever use more than a 1/4 pedal on the right pedal.
Sales people never talk to the the guys in the shop...
Every Hyundai turbo in the USA, even the Veloster N is speced for 87 octane. Hyundai does not have a very advanced sensing of octane. Timing is set for 87 octane and if the knock sensor hears it it pulls back. You can't rely on that sensor too much as I have heard detonation and had to pull back on my own because it did not pull back timing. I learned it is just better to run mid level as a bare minimum on a stock tune and you have no choice but premium with a tune. 90%-95% of the people on the Kona turbo forums run 87 octane.

Because we usually buy gas at Costco, it typically gets 91. If we buy gas elsewhere, it gets 89 because that's what's recommended. The SRT doesn't give that kind of leeway, it's 91 minimum.

My 20 definitely runs better with 89 than 87. It is most noticeable in hot weather.

Back