Premature aftermarket timing chain failure

I don't know if this is the case for timing chain sets, but other chain/sprocket drive systems I've dealt with require you to replace the sprockets together with the chain, otherwise, the slightly worn sprocket won't properly distribute the load on a new chain, causing premature wear.

Originally Posted by chipdipjones
did oil change due to metallic sheen in oil.

I'd do more than one oil change, in rapid succession. Consider a magnetic drain plug. Grit, carbon particulates and especially steel particulates will accelerate wear markedly.

I believe it came from Rock Auto (online). The parts were made or marketed or sourced possibly as per above by ITM engine components who are based in California but my guess is the parts are Chinese, yes. They were mid range price as far as aftermarket replacement parts.
You should email rock auto to let them know....

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
Originally Posted by Cujet
Timing chains last longest with 30 viscosity oil.

Why of course but the thin oil fanatics just don't care.

Uber thin oil is fantastic for many purposes. But when diluted with 2% fuel, loaded with plenty of evaporated fuel by products and a substantial level of particulates, and operated at excessively hot temperatures, we really can't expect long chain life.

As with everything, an engine designed for low viscosity oils and longevity in mind will hold up just fine. However, the rash of Ford, GM and Hyundai/Kia chain failures is absolutely due to low viscosity coupled with long drain intervals.
I agree with you on the 30 weight , that's what I use on our chain driven engines----sometimes a 40 in the ultra hot summer and long drives....

- - - but what about all those toyotas out there with tons of miles on factory chains and 20-16- even 8 w oils?????

I know TGMO is very moly-mos2 heavy.

Ages ago , in my youth , I replaced the cam sprocket , crankshaft sprocket and timing chain on a 1966 Comet 289 . Sourced from a local auto parts store .

Never had any more problems with those components .

At that time , parts for American cars were made in America . Foreign parts , do not know . I drove American cars .

Now , with so much being manufactured over seas ( especially in China ) , seems like you have to second guess the quality of the parts you purchase . :-(
Also keep in mind that with the short chain on that 289 a little wear and it will still run ok. But with a longer chain like we see today a little wear in each link equates to a large amount of wear and will cause problems.

Also keep in mind that with the short chain on that 289 a little wear and it will still run ok. But with a longer chain like we see today a little wear in each link equates to a large amount of wear and will cause problems.
On an old engine like that 289, they didn't use any kind of chain tensioner. Took a lot of chain stretch to cause a problem. On modern engines with long cam chains driving cams in the heads, they all use chain tensioners to take up the the wear. Depending on the design, they can keep things under control despite some wear. Yes, those longer chains are more sensitive to overall wear in terms of a little wear in each link causing the overall length to increase more drastically. API SP was formulated to help cut down on chain wear since lots of engines these days have pretty long cam-chains. An SP with a decent amount of Moly is the way to go for those chains IMO.

Back