Preliminary Mazda6s 0w-20 UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
This test was performed at around 5,000 miles on the odometer, with 3,331 miles on the oil.

I am starting doing a UOA at around 3k, then 5k, then 7.5k.

(Changing the oil between each interval)

Will continue to post results as I collect them.

(This is for a Mazda6s 3.0 Liter V6 running Mobil1 0w-20 Supersyn)

If your not aware, the Mazda6s engine is NOT a normal ford duratec engine. Its basically just the ford block, with mazda internals.

Here's a link to the UOA.

http://www.wam.umd.edu/~greghess/oilreport.pdf

I know its not very exciting information, but I'm posting it anyway
smile.gif

Is that make up oil of 5.5qts correct? If so, thats not too good. Otherwise, good report. I wouldn't worry about the Iron as your car is very new. Zero lead is great. I'm running this oil now and I'm amazed at how well my car feels with it. I hope it holds up. Much more power. I did put a K&N air filter in too but even with the old oil I had in, it didn't do to much. Looks good. Interesting that Moly is so low. I thought this one had 133ppm of Moly?

[ September 17, 2003, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Some quick notes...

1) Oil filter was a K&N 2010. It was in the car for the previous oil change (so around 4300 miles on the K&N).

2) The previous oil was Mobil1 5w-30 Supersyn. After switching to 5w-30, I noticed a change in engine performance, shifting, and general feel of the vehicle. Because of this I cut the interval short, and bit the bullet money wise, and swapped to 0w-20 after only 1,000 miles on the 5w-30.

About .4-.5 quarts of 5w-30 supersyn remained in the K&N 2010.

3) First oil change was at 900 miles. (Drained the factory 5w-20 motorcraft)

Buster,

I was a bit confused about what "makeup" oil was. I didn't know what it meant exactly. I put down 5.5 quarts, because thats how much oil the engine takes...=/

There was no oil loss during the 3,331 mile interval.

[ September 17, 2003, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: crossbow ]

No oil was added during the interval.

When the oil interval ended, I changed the oil/filter and added 5.5 qts. Thats what I mistaked the makeup thing as...

Oops.

Well then this report is very good IMO. Those Iron numbers will come down.
cheers.gif

This is a sweet report for such a young engine. It looks like the main bearings are worn-in (zero lead over the interval) but the cylinders have a ways to go.

Please keep the reports coming.

[ September 17, 2003, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

Two things:

One, I thought 0w20 M1 was closer to 8cst, while here it's 9.3, it's thickened up to 0w30.

Two, I thought the 0w20 had way more boron and moly?

quote:

Two, I thought the 0w20 had way more boron and moly?

I did too...not sure why it's lower unless the engine is taking it in. Mobil intially had this oil at 9.0cSt. I'm not sure if there is just a margin of error or they changed it.

The first set of published specs did show the M1 0w20 being almost 9cst, however I am pretty sure the newest set of specs show it being down around 8cst now.

Hey Crossbow,
Just wanted to ask why you want to do such short drain intervals? I know the motor is new but don't you think a longer drain would give you a better indication of how the oil is doing in your car? Seems like the oil is doing good in your car...

I should be ready to send in my M1 0w-20 sample by the end of OCT. I'll have about 15,700 by then, on the same motor. I'm also using the K&N 2010 filter so we should have a good comparison.

I'd credit "uptake" for the lower additve levels. Mazda must not use a moly oil as factory fill and this depletion looks about what I'd expect from a first time use of a moly oil with 100PPM+.

--- Bror Jace

Hey fellas,

Remember that there was .5 Qts of mobil1 5w-30 left over in the oil filter when I swapped to 0w-20. So that may be influencing the viscosity slightly.

I'm doing short intervals and extending them slowly to see how the car's doing.

Call me super paranoid with my new car if you will.

Next UOA in 4,321 miles.

Thanks for the comments!

quote:

Originally posted by crossbow:
If your not aware, the Mazda6s engine is NOT a normal ford duratec engine. Its basically just the ford block, with mazda internals.

If you're not aware the Ford's Duratec is a great engine!!!
Don't confuse it with the Ford's ancient POS 3.0 V6 called Vulcan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back