2024 Lexus RX350 UOA - 782mi / TGMO 0W-20 782mi

I appreciate this response. Clearly the silcon was not captured by the filter and if I listened to Lexus it would be in my oil for another 9000 miles (or listened to others at least anothet 2 to 4k miles) i am glad I flushed it out and start again with fresh. Also why I want to do another OC at 1500. Overkill, sure maybe, but why run high contaminations for thousands of miles if I can flush them out for $30 (plus an UOA) and 30 minutes of time.

As to being a nervous nellie I dont think thats the case. Overzealous is probably the best description. Just looking to take as best care of my purchase as possible. If spending a few hundred $ on accelerated OCs now saves me thousands down the line I guess its worth it. Problem is that we will never know given the variables.

I am pulling a lot of my thoughts on OCI from Lake's videos and I think with his credentials I trust what he has to say. And the UOA he presents shows the proof. To me he has nothing to gain from encouraging shorter OCIs but I do have somrthing to gain from short OCIs. I am honestly surprised with some of the responses on an oil forum of people that question why I change oil post break in and so often early on or why I even do a UOA on a brand new vehicle/engine. I appreciate the dialogue as we all gain from it but surprised to see so much of it.
No the silicon showing up in a spectrographic analysis is not going to be captured by the filter as the particle size is way too small. On the other hand it’s also not what’s going to cause any damage either.

Nothing that shows up in a UOA like this causes damage, the question here is where is it coming from. If it’s from a sealant then it is completely harmless. If it’s larger particles from an intake leak that are being pulverized then that’s a different story. On a new engine it’s nearly always from sealants.

The fact you're questioning it is my point... It's an unknown variable that you or I can't tell so why risk not flushing it out? Your "senses" don't know what's actually in the oil but your telling OP to keep it in. That doesn't make any sense to me. 🤷‍♂️

Besides who wants extremely high amounts of this stuff floating around in their oil for thousands of miles if they can simply flush it out earlier. Your stance is, run this high amount of silicon debris through the engine & the OP is a nervous nellie b/c he's not doing that. I wholeheartedly disagree 100% & think the name calling is uncalled for. When there is a "Red Flag" on your UOA I'd imagine it's wise to remedy the issue if possible & in this situation you can by draining after a few hundred miles, then gradually increase the runs as it improves.

His questioning is as valid as your statement. As far as I am aware there is not a single, valid study proving or disproving a benefit to an early OC on a new vehicle. Likely most production vehicles off the lot when new would produce similar "Red Flag" data on a 750mile UOA. I do believe in early OC for a new vehicle and I apologize if I sounded harsh. Was not the intended point. Just seemed a bit overkill to do 750 and again 1500. OP if it makes you feel good then it's worth it for sure. Great vehicle and I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

Not everyone’s understanding of what a $30 spectrographic analysis represents (or does not represent) is as fantastic as another.

They don't advertise "intelligent molecules" anymore either. Hopefully they bring that back. My guess is they are waiting for the new regulations to reformulate

Why not? Will be interesting to play with OCI's and track changes over time. Its relatively cheap ($25) and I'll likely only do 2-3 oil changes a year after the initial few. I only buy new vehicles and run them so I'd like to see if some of the efforts and initial OCI's are worth it. And tbh, I am glad I did after seeing Fuel Dilution as high as it is. I'd like to see it start settling out over the next OCI's.
Learning is a good enough reason. Personally I'm not a fan of Toyota's new 4 banger and 6 banger turbo engines, but time will tell if they last.

Do you have any recommendations on what you would use (product names)
No. But I had to employ this very technique on a VW DI turbo that specified VAG 508 00 - a light weight 0W20 specification.
As the of told story goes, I happened to have one bottle of Mobil 1 0W40 FS on the shelf. That was used to good effect and married well with Motul Specific 508 00 / 509 00. Pure luck with a Franken-brew. No more knock or clatter, engine ran stunningly for thousands of miles thereafter.

EXxon-Mobil changed the formula recently of this product. By this very fact, I am predisposed to dislike it now :)

- Ken (not my name - but it is here)

Side Note: In another thread I questioned a Lexus owner & responded that it did not come with an oil life monitor so I'm curious if yours does not as well?
I can't seem to find an OLM on the Lexus. Odd but I guess they want to rely soley on the mileage driven

I can't seem to find an OLM on the Lexus. Odd but I guess they want to rely soley on the mileage driven
Thanks for updating. I agree that it's odd in today's tech & I'm just as puzzled since even my bucket 02' Saturn came equipped w/at least a basic light that popped on the dash when it determined it was time to change. Usually around 5000-5500 miles.

Why the UOA on a new engine?
To see if you got a Lemon of an engine or not.

Say the factory fill came back LOADED with metal. So does the next oil change and so does the next… you now have plenty of evidence to contact the manufacturer and and show them that it was shedding ABNORMAL amounts of metal since day 1. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ve always sampled the factory fill on the last 3 new cars I bought, to see the health of the engine / oil from DAY 1

Not, in 20,000 miles. 🤨😑😤

Back