PQIA tests ten 5W-20s - one gets an Advisory

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Peak, Proline, AZ and APP conventionals are the same oil given lab variances. Interesting to know that WPP is using the same forumlations for the private labels.
SOPUS is putting out some darn good conventionals, NOACKS lower than some of their synthetics like PP, QS Defy and QSUD.

They will write some half-baked PR letter and force the PQIA to post it with an editorial contraction and make them delete the test just like they did with that MaxLife transmission garbage they hock.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Wow. That's unexpected from a well known vendor. Curious what Ashland's reaction will be to this.

Unlike the MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF explanation which actually makes sense especially in light of other Synthetic ATF's now also showing similar 100C viscosity specs, I'm thinking the Valvoline NxtGen NOACK will not be so easily explained/justified.

I also thought one of the all time Bitog favs, Motorcraft Syn Blend didn't exactly knock it out of the park either. NOACK and VI near the bottom of this group.

And as noted, Pennzoil and QS, the SOPUS duo, looking good.

Thanks Tom!

Their product is not garbage and their explanation is reasonable. You work for a competitor or what?

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
They will write some half-baked PR letter and force the PQIA to post it with an editorial contraction and make them delete the test just like they did with that MaxLife transmission garbage they hock.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Unlike the MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF explanation which actually makes sense especially in light of other Synthetic ATF's now also showing similar 100C viscosity specs, I'm thinking the Valvoline NxtGen NOACK will not be so easily explained/justified.

I also thought one of the all time Bitog favs, Motorcraft Syn Blend didn't exactly knock it out of the park either. NOACK and VI near the bottom of this group.

Thanks Tom!

Isnt the 50w motocraft shearing a lot too recently?

Originally Posted By: nepadriver

Thanks Tom!

Yes it is but that is a completely different ball game. Amazing how everyone loved MC and the UOA it produces and then one more VOA and people think its not as good now days.Gotta give SOPUS some credit though. Also, 5w20s are going to have higher NOACK than most 30s and 40s. Maybe the MC is using some higher VI oils that dont need the VII and with that comes volatility??

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

Actually that explanation was very sound, and a good example of why you should never assume that a) "if it meets a new spec, then surely it exceeds the old one," and b) meeting an old spec 'to the letter of the law' may result in an inferior product to one that fails some aspect of an old spec.

Originally Posted By: jhskier25
Geeze. As a SOPUS fanboy those numbers make me happy...though I am still skeptical. Might just start buying PYB instead of PP. The price difference seems to be too much to justify the cost

There's no reason to EVER buy PP, IMO.

PYB is (even before this result) known to be virtually as good for a lower cost, and PU is clearly better at not that much additional cost. PP has become a parallel to "all the performance of a 4 cylinder with all the fuel economy of a v8." :-/

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Geeze. As a SOPUS fanboy those numbers make me happy...though I am still skeptical. Might just start buying PYB instead of PP. The price difference seems to be too much to justify the cost

PYB is (even before this result) known to be virtually as good for a lower cost, and PU is clearly better at not that much additional cost. PP has become a parallel to "all the performance of a 4 cylinder with all the fuel economy of a v8." :-/

PP 5W-20 and 5W-30 are excellent GP III based oils with a proven track record.
I like them because they are often on sale, and are light for their grade. Price notwithstanding I would choose PP over PYB.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: nepadriver

Thanks Tom!

Yes it is but that is a completely different ball game. Amazing how everyone loved MC and the UOA it produces and then one more VOA and people think its not as good now days.Gotta give SOPUS some credit though. Also, 5w20s are going to have higher NOACK than most 30s and 40s.....

True, but the Noack I was referencing was relative to the other 5w20's tested in this batch. Not hating on MC Syn Blend, used it since 2002 when was 'the' most available 5w20 for a Honda. But, when compared to PZ and QS in this test at least, not exactly a standout in the right way. It's all relative.

Bad batch of Nextgen?
The standout oils in this group were PYB and QSGB.
Really low NOACKs and strong add packs with plenty of moly and without the sodium base that most lower tier oils seem to use.
Is GTL basestock finding its way into these oils?
I see that GTX no longer uses a sodium based add pack.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

PP 5W-20 and 5W-30 are excellent GP III based oils with a proven track record.
I like them because they are often on sale, and are light for their grade. Price notwithstanding I would choose PP over PYB.

If I were a bargain hunter and willing to change oil types/brands based on that, I *might* consider PP on sale. But for the usual price, I'd spend the slight extra for PU.

Its nothing against the oil, per se, it is certainly very good. Its the way SOPUS has it slotted in the lineup, and the kinds of numbers PYB is showing lately crowding into PP's former performance territory. PP should be a buck a quart more than PYB and competing with the oils marketed as synthetic blends. NOT up there close to premium price territory. JMO.

Not that any one spec or test should make or break an oil choice, but I am disappointed in the NextGen Noack. I really wanted to try it at my next OCI, if I could find it anywhere without paying AZ or AAP's ludicrous prices. Now my choice is back down to two: PYB or MC. As it's going in a Ford product, I'm leaning toward the MC.

NOW see what you've done, Tom?
grin2.gif

The low Noack for QSAD and PYB are intuiging, but will they persist? It could be that, with PU's sales presumably tanking because it isn't as widely available as before, GTL stocks accumulated that had to be used in another SOPUS product.

Until Shell changes the PDS for QSAD and PYB, I'd assume these great specs are a temporary thing that will last only until GTL base stocks are directed elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Based on the test there isn't too much reason to consider MC over PYB
smile.gif

Agreed, but I used it before and the car seemed to like it. I only have M1 in there now as it was left over from another job. I've always planned on going back to conventional or semi-syn at the next change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back