PQIA Test Results - AMSOIL SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil

The price of Amsoil OE is the same for Mobil 1 EP at my local Orielly

Mobil 1 EP 0W-20

Orielly: 42.99

Wal-Mart: 32.99

The do it yourself engine oil market is a drop in the bucket.
So we are discussing a drop in that bucket.
We're talking about exposure within the market segment, not how big or small that market segment is to begin with.

Mobil 1 is the best selling synthetic oil line by volume, in large part due to their massive level of exposure all over the world.

100% LSPI, 47% better wear than required by Dexos 1 Gen2 and did well on Puegeot TU3m. That right there tells you it's a quality oil. Amsoil is a top notch formulator and all their products perform well. Whether it's worth it or not is subjective.

The OE line is likely using a top notch Grp III or GTL/PAO if I had to guess.

1680454972926.jpg

when a difference makes no difference, buy amsoil. It will make you feel smarter but almost everyone else will think you are a bonehead. :)
Aye, so I'm being judged by who exactly because I'm buying the AMSOIL oil filters? And is this arrogant judgement based on perceived performance, price, or some personal qualification for "value"?

I ran the XL 0W20 in my wife’s Altima and it did what it was supposed to do and did it well (according to the UOA).

Will I buy it again? Probably not, for the reasons some have stated ( ordering in bulk, the fee for discount price etc..) when I can get a comparable oil locally at Walmart.

I use and will continue to use the Amsoil cvt fluid. To me that’s worth the cost every 3-4 years that I will need to buy it. Could I use a comparable cvt off the shelf at a local auto parts store and change a little sooner? I’m sure I could

I'm not sure how true it is, but I remember someone saying that the XL/SS use the same base oils, just different additive levels.

Do you guys think XL Boosted and Signature series use the exact same base fluid? I could imagine OE and XL would but Signature Series seems to be in a league of their own.

Exactly the same, last I heard.
This was your reply to Buster's comment that "I'm not sure how true it is, but I remember someone saying that the XL/SS use the same base oils, just different additive levels.

So you say they're exactly the same, last you heard, but then you say they're different. What have I missed here?

Yes, but for an "economy line", this presents no value to the customer. It's cheap for Amsoil, but still expensive for motor oil. It's a cash grab, in hopes that people get all starry eyed at the brand and nothing else.
Are we going to have to cover, yet again, that an oil analysis in NO WAY predicts the performance of a given oil, whether bad or good? Guess so…

This was your reply to Buster's comment that "I'm not sure how true it is, but I remember someone saying that the XL/SS use the same base oils, just different additive levels.

So you say they're exactly the same, last you heard, but then you say they're different. What have I missed here?
Sorry I misread Buster's question. XL and OE use the same basestock mixture. SS is different.

I was going too fast and was thinking the topic of this thread is OE

My apologies.

Last edited:
Amsoil's OE line is priced similar to what you'd pay for API licensed Royal Purple at WalMart. It's a very good oil and not priced offensively higher than other API licensed oils. I recently bought a 4 gallon case for a total of $118.88 which included my local 7% sales tax. That's $7.43 a quart, $32.15 per 5 quart and actually several dollars lower than I'd pay for any other premium quality boutique oil. It's within $5 of what I'd pay at WalMart for Mobil-1 or Pennzoil per oil change.

I do wish the PQIA had published the NOACK of the OE oil.
Noack is 9.4 which is not too bad for a 5w30 that seems to be taking a beating in this thread. HTHS =3.3 I'll take both of those figures for a supposed lower tier RC oil thank you very much!

@cheesepuffs2 What I'm seeing here in your argument lacks a lot of perspective from a business' point of view. You've made it abundantly clear (ad nauseam) that you believe Amsoil is, to put it broadly, "overcharging" for their OE product line because you can buy "similar" or "better" oils for less overall cost to you. As someone with a business, and having to set prices for retail and service, I can tell you that I'm nowhere near the cheapest place to go for my products or services, but that is not the end all be all of a market. There are a whole host of other things that go into the price a consumer pays for a product beyond the simple cost to manufacture and distribute that product. @OVERKILL already mentioned a few of these "intangible" benefits people get from buying Amsoil and I'm not going to beat a dead horse about it, but they have real value in a market. If you're not in that particular market, fine, but I feel like the detestation with which you write about the company is pretty uncalled for. You don't know what their margins are, what goes into the pricing, and what their consumers perceive the value to be. Not everyone shops the same way or for the same reasons that you do.

@cheesepuffs2 What I'm seeing here in your argument lacks a lot of perspective from a business' point of view. You've made it abundantly clear (ad nauseam) that you believe Amsoil is, to put it broadly, "overcharging" for their OE product line because you can buy "similar" or "better" oils for less overall cost to you. As someone with a business, and having to set prices for retail and service, I can tell you that I'm nowhere near the cheapest place to go for my products or services, but that is not the end all be all of a market. There are a whole host of other things that go into the price a consumer pays for a product beyond the simple cost to manufacture and distribute that product. @OVERKILL already mentioned a few of these "intangible" benefits people get from buying Amsoil and I'm not going to beat a dead horse about it, but they have real value in a market. If you're not in that particular market, fine, but I feel like the detestation with which you write about the company is pretty uncalled for. You don't know what their margins are, what goes into the pricing, and what their consumers perceive the value to be. Not everyone shops the same way or for the same reasons that you do.
You must have glossed over where I myself highlighted/recognized those intangible benefits.

I'm not interested in the business perspective because Amsoil isn't my business. I couldn't care less what their margins are or what their market research tells them. I'm only the potential customer in this equation, and while you're obviously right that customers shop differently for different reasons, several people have liked/agreed with my posts, and many people on this forum shop with the same mentality that I have about it and have for years.

For what it's worth, I don't "detest" Amsoil. I feel nothing about Amsoil at all.

You must have glossed over where I myself highlighted/recognized those intangible benefits.

I'm not interested in the business perspective because Amsoil isn't my business. I couldn't care less what their margins are or what their market research tells them. I'm only the potential customer in this equation, and while you're obviously right that customers shop differently for different reasons, several people have liked/agreed with my posts, and many people on this forum shop with the same mentality that I have about it and have for years.

For what it's worth, I don't "detest" Amsoil. I feel nothing about Amsoil at all.
Your disinterest is precisely why your comments are, in my opinion, out of line. Businesses are managed by people, especially small businesses. Amsoil is either a large "small business" or a "medium business", depending on how what definition you go with. Either way, your comments affect real people who have livelihoods. Yeah, you have a right to an opinion as a customer, but that doesn't automatically make your comments justified. If you don't feel anything about Amsoil at all, then you sure have a peculiar way of discussing the company. Your words drip with detestation and disdain, as if you have been personally wronged by them. Perhaps you're one for just getting carried away and don't give your words much thought? I don't know. But like I said, you've been incredibly one-sided. As for people liking your posts, so what? Are you saying that's somehow invalidating my points?

Back