PQIA Test Results - AMSOIL SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil

According to the label picture it is the OE series oil.

obviously I much prefer the Sig Series. OE isn't bad, but as stated above you can find more readily available (and comparable) competitors on the shelf for a better price even with the preferred customer discount.

Our local owned quick lube place in rural America actually switched to OE as their "house" synthetic oil when Mobil 1 supply issues made Mobil 1 harder to get through their distributor. They've kept it and it's the same price for oil changes with Mobil 1. For the Dexos license and high milage oils they use Castrol now and said that people won't go near Pennzoil because they still have that mindset that "it causes sludge". He said people ask for Mobil 1 because of name recognition but the vast overwhelming majority of people don't care what brand...they just want an oil change.

Amsoil's OE line is priced similar to what you'd pay for API licensed Royal Purple at WalMart. It's a very good oil and not priced offensively higher than other API licensed oils. I recently bought a 4 gallon case for a total of $118.88 which included my local 7% sales tax. That's $7.43 a quart, $32.15 per 5 quart and actually several dollars lower than I'd pay for any other premium quality boutique oil. It's within $5 of what I'd pay at WalMart for Mobil-1 or Pennzoil per oil change.

I do wish the PQIA had published the NOACK of the OE oil.

Amsoil's OE line is priced similar to what you'd pay for API licensed Royal Purple at WalMart. It's a very good oil and not priced offensively higher than other API licensed oils. I recently bought a 4 gallon case for a total of $118.88 which included my local 7% sales tax. That's $7.43 a quart, $32.15 per 5 quart and actually several dollars lower than I'd pay for any other premium quality boutique oil. It's within $5 of what I'd pay at WalMart for Mobil-1 or Pennzoil per oil change.

I do wish the PQIA had published the NOACK of the OE oil.
I'd not consider Amsoil's OE line to be a "boutique oil." It's little, if anything, more than any off-the-shelf API oil.

Amsoil provides little, if any, evidence on their website regarding the protection quality of OE as compared to any name brand or store brand full synthetic oil that can be purchased off the shelf. It appears their marketing strategy for OE is to leverage the product based upon their "brand" name. I believe OE does in fact meet current API and Dexos1 Gen 3 specifications. However, from a value perspective, I further believe OE is over priced compared to competitive full synthetic oils that can be purchased from Walmart.

Surprised it has no Boron in the add pack; Amsoil oils usually all have some.
It's my understanding that this is an oil that's been rebranded from another manufacturer in the same manner Red Line did with their lower-tier oil, and what many other companies do as well. Perhaps @Pablo can confirm this, or say otherwise.

Yes, but for an "economy line", this presents no value to the customer.
Np45BdL.jpeg

1`) OE (before it was called "OE") was intended for quick lube places, not for sales to DIY oil changers.
2) There is some lore about what base oil it used to contain or if it was blend. I am unsure if any of that was true.
3) Preferred price is $7.49/qt, suggested retail is $9.99.
4) It is just a compliant oil. If people expect magic from a compliant oil, they have not been following BITOG very closely.
5) I think maybe the XL line has Boron and maybe more Mo and Ca
6) Judging an oil using these relatively simple tests and extrapolating longevity/performance/value can be dicey. Another BITOG lesson.
7) Amsoil does have some data on their website, but they don't yet have comparisons with other like oils. This may be coming I am told.
8) Amsoil blends and bottles this oil.

Back