PP burning really fast-which other oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a few Buicks with the 3.8. They all seemed to "burn" off a half a quart right after an OC. After that they never used much. It got to the point to where I would just fill them up to about half way up the dipstick and they never used any.

I have posted this pic a few times but I post it again as it shows exactly whats going on. This is a 3800 Gen II with about 80K IIRC. Look at the piston on top, this is partially blocked by the pickup tube as receives less splash hence the darker color of the deposits and varnish.
The one on the lower right is getting full splash and look at the difference. The other will come clean in time also. IIRC this is with Mobil 1 ow40 but PP and PU have very similar cleaning abilities maybe even more.

Once this has been dissolved the ring area will clear and a real improvement in the engines overall health will be noticed. Note that no other cleaners whatoever have been used in this engine, the cleaning effect is from the oil alone.

A close up of the piston, as can be seen it is clearing and the others look like the one on the lower right. This engine uses zero measurable oil.

Edit: This pic is a few years old today the engine is 100% spotless, I had to drop the pan to do the timing chain but didn't have a camera with me at the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back